Happy Third Birthday, Chrome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Well Google's plan to get people away from using Bing with Chrome has failed at least once as I set Bing as the default search engine.

Take that Corporate Brand Identity Stooges!

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Ever since the Black Bar of Distraction showed up on the Google Web Search page I've refused to use it. I now use Alta Vista as my home page. PS iHATE Eric Schmidt, Larry Page, and "the Wiggo" Chris Wiggins.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]3 years and it's on version 14...LOL[/citation]

While Google Chrome is still better and faster than the others I think it is getting slower not faster as time goes by. They are adding features and this is slowing it down gradually.

So who is going to create the next "light weight super fast" browser? .

While I may have been a vocal critic of Google and Chrome at times, I must congratulate Chrome on its third birthday. You've come a long way and did indeed accelerate the browser wars.

G

I'm still sticking with firefox,but have to admit that chrome impressed me.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]While Google Chrome is still better and faster than the others I think it is getting slower not faster as time goes by. They are adding features and this is slowing it down gradually. So who is going to create the next "light weight super fast" browser? .[/citation]
Yeah, I feel that the current version is significantly slower. It might be due to "Predict Network Action", which could possibly be turned on by default and hidden from users in older versions, being turned off by me. Don't quote me on this.

tiang

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
With CHROME, Microsoft tries hard to improve IE and users will get the best.
Happy Birthday Chrome. You are the best browser as for now!

Archean

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
I haven't bothered with Chrome ever, people who fret about few thousandth of a second probably need such browser but not me ;)

I have been using FF (now FF7B) and IE (now 9) and they do all what I needed them to do without missing a beat.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]Ever since the Black Bar of Distraction showed up on the Google Web Search page I've refused to use it. I now use Alta Vista as my home page. PS iHATE Eric Schmidt, Larry Page, and "the Wiggo" Chris Wiggins.[/citation]

is it really that distracting? i don't even notice it now, and when i first seen it i was wondering, how long has that been there.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Archean[/nom]I haven't bothered with Chrome ever, people who fret about few thousandth of a second probably need such browser but not me I have been using FF (now FF7B) and IE (now 9) and they do all what I needed them to do without missing a beat.[/citation]
firefox for me, sucks with anything multimedia, either crashing, or playing it unreliably, so i use alturnative browsers. and chrome is my second choice, followed by opera, and if all else fails ie8

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]I use Chrome as my main browser at work. I'm not sure why though because I don't even like it. Perhaps it is time I switched to Firefox Nightly[/citation]
I've been using Nightly for a long time. I love it. I think I'm using Firefox 9 Alpha 1 now. I don't notice any extra "features" because I never look into them. I just use the basic browser, and take advantage of the fact that it's 64-bit.

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]Ever since the Black Bar of Distraction showed up on the Google Web Search page I've refused to use it. I now use Alta Vista as my home page. PS iHATE Eric Schmidt, Larry Page, and "the Wiggo" Chris Wiggins.[/citation]
Maybe chrome isn't for people that anal about a title bar color

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]Ever since the Black Bar of Distraction showed up on the Google Web Search page I've refused to use it.[/citation]

lol'd

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Firefox is still much better than chrome for me(and should be for any serious user that uses a lot of plug-ins).

Extensions/plug-ins are still not in the same league.
Some examples are adblockers and flashblockers which is 10 times better in FF.
Last pass works much better in FF when you want to access certain things.
And loads of plug-ins are just still missing in Chrome (it is getting better though)
Bookmarks is a joke in Chrome and it isn't even faster when you try the compare the latest builds. It didn't even feel faster before that for me(never has), probably because adblocking isn't really stopping the ads to load in Chrome, they are just hidden.

Anyway, I still use Chrome for just one thing : Chrome2Phone which is a handy way to get webpages of the Pc to my android phone.

G

Love Chrome . Uninstalled Firefox because all updated versions are really no different that I can tell , from version 4 . All alike , all no faster than version 4. I'll take Chrome over Firefox any day and I was a big Firefox fan.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Archean[/nom]Strange, I never have any such issues. But with zillions of configurations out there, each case is unique in its own right.[/citation]

im guessing you are talking to me...

i have a few extentions, and on a fresh start up, firefox can run everything easily, but after a while, ff starts to suck on multimedia. flash based things start to pause every now and than, and if i have a bunch of tabs open, everything multimedia goes to hell, but i intalled bartab, it sucks with version 8, but whatever, it stops tabs from loading while still saving them on startup, and i'm ok with that.

but chrome, even like now, i have i think 30-50 tabs open, and if i go to youtube, flawless play, even if it is FAR more resource hungry.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I've got several online computers myself,so I use both Mozilla's Firefox & several versions of IE (I have got both XP Pro & Vista Ultimate also). On my computers,I use bing,alta vista,yahoo & google search. For now I have no intentions of using chrome as I have enough speed to push me through from page to page as I surf the internet.

AnUnusedUsername

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
[citation][nom]in_the_loop[/nom]Firefox is still much better than chrome for me(and should be for any serious user that uses a lot of plug-ins). Extensions/plug-ins are still not in the same league. Some examples are adblockers and flashblockers which is 10 times better in FF.Last pass works much better in FF when you want to access certain things.And loads of plug-ins are just still missing in Chrome (it is getting better though) Bookmarks is a joke in Chrome and it isn't even faster when you try the compare the latest builds. It didn't even feel faster before that for me(never has), probably because adblocking isn't really stopping the ads to load in Chrome, they are just hidden.Anyway, I still use Chrome for just one thing : Chrome2Phone which is a handy way to get webpages of the Pc to my android phone.[/citation]

The whole point of Chrome is that it isn't bogged down by supporting extentions and all the other features myself and others don't want to use. All I want my browser to do is display webpages and the standard back/forward/refresh/stop options. If you use extensions, Chrome isn't the browser for you. I loved Chrome at first, but I wish it wasn't adding features and support for things like it is. Chrome is good because it isn't full of waste like the other browsers are/were. If they keep adding all these cluttered features I don't use/want I may have to look for another browser again.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I use IE9- it's pretty fast and by the amount of improvements it has compared to IE8 it shows that MSFT actually cares about making a solid browser. Besides Chrome's market share is growing too fast and I've always been leery of Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.