6600GT question

Syke

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2004

Am I right in supposing that the NVidia 6600 GT is compatible with Win98SE
in its AGP version but not the PCI-E one?

Regards

PJM

Its your motherboard that detwrmines what you use. If your motherboard
supports agp or PCI express, then that's what is compatible . Its not
the operating system. You need to check though if the video driver
for the 6600GT is available for Win 98.

On Fri, 13 May 2005 19:42:57 +0100, "Syke" <h.macguire@virgin.net>
wrote:

>Am I right in supposing that the NVidia 6600 GT is compatible with Win98SE
>in its AGP version but not the PCI-E one?
>
>Regards
>
>PJM

I believe, Wrong. The latest generation of Nvidia cards do NOT support
Win98se.

--
DaveW

"Syke" <h.macguire@virgin.net> wrote in message
> Am I right in supposing that the NVidia 6600 GT is compatible with Win98SE
> in its AGP version but not the PCI-E one?
>
> Regards
>
> PJM

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

This: http://www.nvidia.com/object/71.84_9x_supported.html begs to differ!

DaveL

>I believe, Wrong. The latest generation of Nvidia cards do NOT support
>Win98se.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "Syke" <h.macguire@virgin.net> wrote in message
>> Am I right in supposing that the NVidia 6600 GT is compatible with
>> Win98SE
>> in its AGP version but not the PCI-E one?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> PJM

The 6600 GT AGP definitely works in Win98SE. I've used it in my Win98
installation.

On Fri, 13 May 2005 16:04:21 -0700, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote:

>I believe, Wrong. The latest generation of Nvidia cards do NOT support
>Win98se.

There is basic support for 2D, and even 3D, but Nvidia doesn't
optimize the drivers to be fully stable. Some games may work fine,
while others will crash often. The last time I was able to have a very
stable Win98SE system was right before DX9, and Forceware drivers came
out. Then games started have problems that ran fine before. This was
with a GF3 Ti200, and a GF4 Ti4400.
I eventually moved to WinXP, and everything ran fine. This was
on the same cards, with the newest DirectX, and Nvidia drivers, so it
wasn't the older cards, but the older OS that was the problem.

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

My 6600GT works fine under 98se using 8x AGP on a VIA chipset board. I don't
know if PCI-E would work though. I suppose it would depend on whether you can
get 98se drivers for the board to enable PCI-E or if those are only for other
versions of windows.