Mapping Drives across a Wireless Network

I set up a wireless network for a client who was moving his office. It's
just two computers running Windows XP with some shared files and drives
mapped back and forth. The network seems to work fine, and after encrypting
it, I mapped the drives across it. All works fine, except upon reboot. When
either of the computers reboots, it gets to where it tries to reconnect the
mapped drives, and announces that it cannot reconnect the network drive.
Hardly surprising since it doesn't load the wireless software until much
later in the boot process. Of course, none of the programs that use those
mapped drives will work until after opening up My Computer and
double-clicking on each of the network drives in turn, upon which it finds
them and connects the drive. After that everything works fine until the next
reboot. While this is a workable short term workaround, he is just beside
himself about having to do that. What is the solution to this problem? Is
there a way to delay when Windows XP tried to map network drives? Is there a
way to get it recheck them later? Is there a way to script the process of
double-clicking on each one after bootup? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about mapping drives wireless network

    Are the mapped drives done via logon scripts or
    persistant user profile specific? Logon scripts would
    load before persistant mapped drives

    "Scott" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > Are the mapped drives done via logon scripts or
    > persistant user profile specific?

    Persistent user profile specific.

    In article <ylKfc.12396$A_4.6698@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>, "Mat Brown" <matbrown@mindspring.com> wrote:
    >"Scott" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    >> Are the mapped drives done via logon scripts or
    >> persistant user profile specific?
    >
    >Persistent user profile specific.

    Windows Scripting Host. Answer to your problem. Store the scripts in the
    Desktop folder for each user. Keyword to look up:

    object.MapNetworkDrive(strLocalName, strRemoteName, [bUpdateProfile],
    [strUser], [strPassword])

    Full WSH documentation can be found on MSDN

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/nhp/default.
    asp?contentid=28001169

    (watch line wrapping in url above)

    Write the script, provide an icon on each user's desktop, when they finish
    booting, double click the icon... Not perfect, but saves mapping the
    drives by hand each time. Note you can make these mappings temporary so as
    to avoid error messages on reboots.

    From: "Rico" <rico_001@hotmail.com>
    > Windows Scripting Host. Answer to your problem. Store the scripts in the
    > Desktop folder for each user. Keyword to look up:
    >
    > object.MapNetworkDrive(strLocalName, strRemoteName, [bUpdateProfile],
    > [strUser], [strPassword])
    >
    > Full WSH documentation can be found on MSDN
    >
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/nhp/default.
    > asp?contentid=28001169
    >
    > (watch line wrapping in url above)
    >
    > Write the script, provide an icon on each user's desktop, when they finish
    > booting, double click the icon... Not perfect, but saves mapping the
    > drives by hand each time. Note you can make these mappings temporary so as
    > to avoid error messages on reboots.

    Thanks, that did it. From there the next step will be for me to figure out
    how to put a delay into the script and just have it autorun at startup.

    Thanks again!

    Mat Brown
    matbrown@mindspring.com
    http://www.mindspring.com/~matbrown/

    Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to
    teenage boys.
    -- P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

Wireless Network Wireless Networking