First dual-core-capable desktop motherboard based on the I..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 14, 2005 10:17:45 PM

Hardly has the ink dried on the chipset agreement with Intel.....
nVidia seems to have been really rocketing along in the past few
months............

Why am I posting this to the videocard newsgroup ?

Well., the board in question is the MSI P4N Diamond which includes the
dual PCIe video sockets, the Intel nForce4-SLI chipset, and with
switching of SLI/non-SLI modes in SOFTWARE. The kludge daughter-board
is finally gone !!

The P4N Diamond supports BOTH the current single and upcoming
dual-core Intel LGA775(T) processors. Also, the version in stock at
Newegg happens to have integrated audio based on the Creative
Soundblaster 24-bit 7.1 channel chip-set, besides the usual nForce4
features of dual Gigabit Ethernet, SATA1/2 with ncq support etc,
etc.... ( Beware, an alternate audio implementation for this board is
based on the Realtek chip-set.... so always check the retailer's spec
for your preference before ordering... ). The usual MSI features such
as flexibile CPU over-clock and CPU and memory voltage settings
complete the package.... From looking at the manual on MSI's web-site,
% overclocks for the video-card GPU and video-card memory can be also
be user-programmed in the Motherboard BIOS settings.

The MSI P4N Diamond is in stock at NewEgg for $229, with free
shipping.

You may want to hold off purchase for a month or two for the first
round of BIOS updates.The BIOS-setting details in the manual are still
pretty skimpy, but that is more a sign of a manual trailing after a
rapidly-updating BIOS feature-set than an unfinished BIOS.

Anyway, for those contemplating building a system soon with the
potential of moving up <at their convenience> to INTEL dual-processor
and SLI (or 4-head video), it is nice to know that at least one
motherboard is now physically available that offers this smooth
user-controlled upgrade path. For anybody intending to use their
high-powered desktop for serious multi-head graphics-oriented work,
but advanced 3D-gaming in their spare time, the software SLI-switch
completes the flexibility.

The only downside has nothing to do with the motherboard itself ---
better be prepared for cooling all those extra watts (with a
power-supply to match) if you intend to have both SLI and INTEL
dual-core. The Intel dual-core solution is about 80 watts more
power-hungry than the AMD X2 for exactly the same performance. The
power-regulators on the P4N Diamond are designed to handle even the
load from the Intel 840 Pentium XE. However, you had better make sure
that the MB power-regulator circuitry at the base of the CPU has
plenty of access to cool air........... !! Do not blame MSI if the
regulators or their capacitors fry from lack of cooling !! Most CPU
heatsink designs are notorious for interfering with airflow around the
CPU power-regulators. Hence Abit's OTES gimmick. In a tower-style
case, a dual-fan power-supply having one of its fans directly facing
the base of the CPU should solve the problem. An additional
case-mounted fan directly behind the CPU would also help cool both CPU
and the regulators. Remember to provide plenty of INLETair-flow too...
what goes outta must get inta....

On the AMD side, the corresponding featured board, with support for
both single and dual-core A64 socket-939 processors, with integrated
audio ( not Soundblaster ) and with the software SLI switch is the
Asus A8N-SLI Premium. This board has not yet appeared in stock in the
retail channel.

John Lewis
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 10:17:46 PM

I have been looking for one of these mobos
to arrive ever since I read the articles on the many
review sites.
Thanks for the valuble info,
regards,
Jeff
May 14, 2005 10:17:46 PM

John,

> Why am I posting this to the videocard newsgroup ?

Maybe because 'Richard' isn't here to chastise you?<gd&r>
{Sorry, just couldn't resist}<g>
--

Jim
Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 5.5, & WinXP Pro w/SP2

On Sat, 14 May 2005 15:00:20 CDT, Jim <jamlil@comcastcom> wrote:

>John,
>
>> Why am I posting this to the videocard newsgroup ?
>>
>Maybe because 'Richard' isn't here to chastise you?<gd&r>
>{Sorry, just couldn't resist}<g>
>--

Yes, Richard H. has a somewhat narrow view of the PC world....
His opinions are slanted severly towards professional desktop
applications, while I am interested in a system configuration readily
reconfigurable for both professional and gaming applications --- the
holy grail for a home-office/entertainment PC. Seems as if a current
version of that holy grail is getting close. Plus Richard is an
die-for-Intel guy and he prickles when any AMD virtues are
mentioned.

John Lewis

> Jim
> Using - Virtual Access(OLR), ZAP 5.5, & WinXP Pro w/SP2
> http://www.virtual-access.org

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 1:07:20 PM

John Lewis wrote:
> [...]
> heatsink designs are notorious for interfering with airflow around
the
> CPU power-regulators. Hence Abit's OTES gimmick. In a tower-style
> case, a dual-fan power-supply having one of its fans directly facing
> the base of the CPU should solve the problem. An additional
> case-mounted fan directly behind the CPU would also help cool both
CPU
> and the regulators. Remember to provide plenty of INLETair-flow
too...
> what goes outta must get inta....
>
> On the AMD side, the corresponding featured board, with support for
> both single and dual-core A64 socket-939 processors, with integrated
> audio ( not Soundblaster ) and with the software SLI switch is the
> Asus A8N-SLI Premium. This board has not yet appeared in stock in the

Before you you plunk down down your money on the Intel version,look at
the AMD. It will use existing motherboards with a bios update. and you
can use your old DDR ram and AGP card.
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzY2
!