Throwing money away?

I am considering swapping my 6600GT for a 6800GT for a bit of a boost in
games like EQII, Rome:TW and Doom III. While the ability to run in top res
with AF on is appealing, am I just throwing money away? Is the difference
big enough to warrant the price?

Martin

"Martin Francis" <mcsalty@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am considering swapping my 6600GT for a 6800GT for a bit of a boost
> in games like EQII, Rome:TW and Doom III. While the ability to run in
> top res with AF on is appealing, am I just throwing money away? Is
> the difference big enough to warrant the price?
>
> Martin

I tried the difference between plain 6800 and 6800GT. Was the GT
enough performance difference to warrant the additional $100? Yes :) I
gave the 6800 to my son and kept the GT.

McG.

"Martin Francis" <mcsalty@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am considering swapping my 6600GT for a 6800GT for a bit of a boost
> in games like EQII, Rome:TW and Doom III. While the ability to run in
> top res with AF on is appealing, am I just throwing money away? Is
> the difference big enough to warrant the price?
>
> Martin

And if you DO get the GT, tell us how ya feel about the difference!

You'll be getting 16 pixel pipes, 6 texture pipes, 256 megs DDR3 SGRam
and 256 bit data path.

I do everything on in Doom3, in Ultra quality 1280x1024. And it's GOOD.
Even on a lowly P4-3.0/800/1m L2, 2 gigs PC3200 dual channel.
McG.

Not really. Unless you're wealthy, of course.

--
DaveW

Martin Francis wrote:
> I am considering swapping my 6600GT for a 6800GT for a bit of a boost
> in games like EQII, Rome:TW and Doom III. While the ability to run in
> top res with AF on is appealing, am I just throwing money away? Is
> the difference big enough to warrant the price?

I'm beginning to wonder something like that myself. Went from a TI-4600
today to a 6600GT. Unimpressed. The difference is minimal in everything so
far except maybe FarCry. I should have spent another 150 and gone all out,
I guesse... but I'd like to hold off on pci-express and the 64 bit chips
until the dual cores iron themselves out and both manufacturers have them
fairly mainstream.

I did mention that there is a difference in FarCry. That particular game
looks a lot better with AA and AF, and I couldn't play it before on my
TI-4600 because it made me feel "sea sick". Now that AA and AF are on, I'm
not experiencing that. Doom3 is mostly so dark until you get to Hell that
the image and motion quality are hardly discernable (IMHO) with or without
filtering. HL2 - well, .. well, I can't agree with other people I've read
at all. I had that game running well and looking pretty good on some really
inferior computers.

I went from a ti4200 to a 6600GT and the difference in Aquamark is amazing.
Aquamark runs the same number of frames altogether; the ti gets 15, and the
6600GT gets 40 to 55, depending on the cpu, overclocking, etc.

The 6600GT whisked me through it.

I broke a capacitor off and had to RMA it -- I'm running a borrowed fx5200,
which is remarkably capable for a $40 card, but it crawls through Aquamark.

Anyhow, the difference between the ti and 6600GT for me is I can run Trainz
with lots of AA, AF, and sharpening, to where it looks 600% more real.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Ed Light wrote:
> I went from a ti4200 to a 6600GT and the difference in Aquamark is
> amazing. Aquamark runs the same number of frames altogether; the ti
> gets 15, and the 6600GT gets 40 to 55, depending on the cpu,
> overclocking, etc.

Is aquamark a game? Or, is it a benchmark? - If the latter, then it
doesn't interest me too much. My days of OCing my cards and processors to
squeeze out a few more points ended sometime around the same time the
geforce 3 product line arrived. The multiple fiascos with 3dmark/futuremark
that made most video benchmarks integrity questionable left me wondering why
I was bothering anyway.

> Anyhow, the difference between the ti and 6600GT for me is I can run
> Trainz with lots of AA, AF, and sharpening, to where it looks 600%
> more real.

Well, that's the same difference I mentioned about FarCry. FarCry looks
better and smoother with AA and AF. But that was the first game I've ever
played that made me queezy to look at. I've happily played away most of
this afternoon and evening when that game has just been sitting here since I
bought it several months ago. I *am* pleased that it is viewable/playable
for me now without making me ill ;)

"Martin Francis" <mcsalty@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am considering swapping my 6600GT for a 6800GT for a bit of a boost in
>games like EQII, Rome:TW and Doom III. While the ability to run in top res
>with AF on is appealing, am I just throwing money away? Is the difference
>big enough to warrant the price?
>
> Martin

Yes.

"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Martin Francis" <mcsalty@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I am considering swapping my 6600GT for a 6800GT for a bit of a boost in
>>games like EQII, Rome:TW and Doom III. While the ability to run in top res
>>with AF on is appealing, am I just throwing money away? Is the difference
>>big enough to warrant the price?
>>
>> Martin
>>

> Yes.

Is that a "yes" to both questions?

> Well, that's the same difference I mentioned about FarCry. FarCry looks
> better and smoother with AA and AF.

How far into it are you? Have you met the mutant monkeys yet? I can never
look at monkeys the same after playing that game!

"Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote
> with it, and I'm sure I can get more performance out of it once I move
> to an Athlon64 system.

Oh, yes!

In any games where the cpu counts, viola!

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

In article <fvudnYtgFPfNAxvfRVn-1Q@bresnan.com>, twobirds says...
> Martin Francis wrote:
> > I am considering swapping my 6600GT for a 6800GT for a bit of a boost
> > in games like EQII, Rome:TW and Doom III. While the ability to run in
> > top res with AF on is appealing, am I just throwing money away? Is
> > the difference big enough to warrant the price?
>
> I'm beginning to wonder something like that myself. Went from a TI-4600
> today to a 6600GT. Unimpressed. The difference is minimal in everything so
> far except maybe FarCry.

You're comparing apples with oranges. Your TI4200 ran DirectX8. Your
6600GT runs DirectX9. Force the 6600GT to run a game in DirectX8, such
as Counterstrike Source/HL2 and you'll see the difference it makes.
It'll thrash the Ti4600.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

> and I'm sure I can get more performance out of it once I move
> to an Athlon64 system.

I jumped from an XP 2500 to a 64 3000, and I was amazed by the increase in
graphics quality. I'm using a 5900 FX still, and most games play like a
dream at top settings. Of course, Half Life 2 and Doom 3 would probably
benefit from a 6800. :)

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

Personally, if you already have the 6600GT and you're not happy with game
performace I'd add more ram if you have less than 1G. I was somewhat impressed
after trading up from a Ti4200 to a 6600GT but not overly. Then I yanked out my
512M stick of ram and put in a 1G stick and suddenly I can crank all those games
up to max without trouble. Yes, Doom 3 can be run just fine at max settings on
this card as well as half-life 2 provided you have the memory to do it. I'm
using an XP3000+ CPU.

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <fvudnYtgFPfNAxvfRVn-1Q@bresnan.com>, twobirds says...
>> Martin Francis wrote:
>>> I am considering swapping my 6600GT for a 6800GT for a bit of a
>>> boost in games like EQII, Rome:TW and Doom III. While the ability
>>> to run in top res with AF on is appealing, am I just throwing money
>>> away? Is the difference big enough to warrant the price?
>>
>> I'm beginning to wonder something like that myself. Went from a
>> TI-4600 today to a 6600GT. Unimpressed. The difference is minimal
>> in everything so far except maybe FarCry.
>
> You're comparing apples with oranges. Your TI4200 ran DirectX8. Your
> 6600GT runs DirectX9. Force the 6600GT to run a game in DirectX8, such
> as Counterstrike Source/HL2 and you'll see the difference it makes.
> It'll thrash the Ti4600.

The 6600GT gets 16 GBs bandwidth with 128 megs DDR3 on 128bit bus. It
has 8p and 1 t pipes.

The Ti4600 gets 10 GBs bandwidth with 128 megs DDR on 128 bit bus. It
has 4p and 2t pipes.

The 6600 GT has a different GPU architecture and 60% more memory
bandwidth and more efficient pixel/texel handling. I'd have to agree
with you. The 6600GT should give a Source engine game with DX8 forced a
much better run than a Ti4600.

McG.

How much for the 6600GT?