Picking out mainstream AGP video card HELP

Joe

I currently am running:

Abit NF7-S v2.0
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
1 gig (2x512) Mushkin 3400 Level II
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro (128 meg)

While it is running pretty much everything I want to run I note that with a
few of the newer games I am forced to turn the sliders down a bit in order
to get acceptable frame rates. Time to start thinking about upgrades but
since the gear I already have is about as good as it gets with 32 bits the
only path open is the new 64 bit gear but as I look over the 64bit landscape
everything looks a little TOO new for my taste. Better to wait for the 64bit
OS another generation or two of chipsets before taking the plunge.

While I wait I am stuck with what I have, except for that Radeon 9500 Pro.

I am looking to replace that 9500 with another AGP "mainstream" card costing
no more than $200. When last I bought a video card ATI was on top with the
9500 Pro and NVidia was running a pretty poor second with their mainstream
card. This time around the it seems ATI has stumbled and NVidia is top dog.
This makes the prime candidate in my price range a GForce 6600 GT with
little from ATI close enough to even consider.

Being far from a guru I know better than to buy anything without first
seeking the opinion of the more knowledgable here in the NG. Any advice
would be appreciated.

Yes -- 6600GT for the $200 range. I like my MSI. It's one of the quieter
ones.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

On Sat, 14 May 2005 19:41:12 -0400, "Joe" <mejoe100-NOSPAM-@cox.net>
wrote:

>I currently am running:
>
>Abit NF7-S v2.0
>AMD Athlon XP 3200+
>1 gig (2x512) Mushkin 3400 Level II
>ATI Radeon 9500 Pro (128 meg)
>
>While it is running pretty much everything I want to run I note that with a
>few of the newer games I am forced to turn the sliders down a bit in order
>to get acceptable frame rates. Time to start thinking about upgrades but
>since the gear I already have is about as good as it gets with 32 bits the
>only path open is the new 64 bit gear but as I look over the 64bit landscape
>everything looks a little TOO new for my taste. Better to wait for the 64bit
>OS another generation or two of chipsets before taking the plunge.
>
>While I wait I am stuck with what I have, except for that Radeon 9500 Pro.
>
>I am looking to replace that 9500 with another AGP "mainstream" card costing
>no more than $200. When last I bought a video card ATI was on top with the
>9500 Pro and NVidia was running a pretty poor second with their mainstream
>card. This time around the it seems ATI has stumbled and NVidia is top dog.
>This makes the prime candidate in my price range a GForce 6600 GT with
>little from ATI close enough to even consider.
>
>Being far from a guru I know better than to buy anything without first
>seeking the opinion of the more knowledgable here in the NG. Any advice
>would be appreciated.

You can get the 6600GT for under $200.00 these days. However
Newegg has the non-GT/Ultra 6800 AGP for $209.00, and up. I'm not sure
how much better than a 6600GT it is, but if it's extra 4 pipelines can
be unlocked to give it 16 instead of 12, I'd think it would be a great
card for just over $200.00.

In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, Joe ordered an army of hamsters
to type:

> I currently am running:
>
> Abit NF7-S v2.0
> AMD Athlon XP 3200+
> 1 gig (2x512) Mushkin 3400 Level II
> ATI Radeon 9500 Pro (128 meg)
>
> While it is running pretty much everything I want to run I note that
> with a few of the newer games I am forced to turn the sliders down a
> bit in order to get acceptable frame rates. Time to start thinking
> about upgrades but since the gear I already have is about as good as
> it gets with 32 bits the only path open is the new 64 bit gear but as
> I look over the 64bit landscape everything looks a little TOO new for
> my taste. Better to wait for the 64bit OS another generation or two of
> chipsets before taking the plunge.
>
> While I wait I am stuck with what I have, except for that Radeon 9500
> Pro.
>
> I am looking to replace that 9500 with another AGP "mainstream" card
> costing no more than $200. When last I bought a video card ATI was on
> top with the 9500 Pro and NVidia was running a pretty poor second with
> their mainstream card. This time around the it seems ATI has stumbled
> and NVidia is top dog. This makes the prime candidate in my price
> range a GForce 6600 GT with little from ATI close enough to even
> consider.
>
> Being far from a guru I know better than to buy anything without first
> seeking the opinion of the more knowledgable here in the NG. Any
> advice would be appreciated.

How about going to several stores and looking at the best cards offered for
your budget and then making a decision.

"Joe" <mejoe100-NOSPAM-@cox.net> wrote in message
> I currently am running:
>
> Abit NF7-S v2.0
> AMD Athlon XP 3200+
> 1 gig (2x512) Mushkin 3400 Level II
> ATI Radeon 9500 Pro (128 meg)
>
> While it is running pretty much everything I want to run I note that
> with a few of the newer games I am forced to turn the sliders down a
> bit in order to get acceptable frame rates. Time to start thinking
> about upgrades but since the gear I already have is about as good as
> it gets with 32 bits the only path open is the new 64 bit gear but as
> I look over the 64bit landscape everything looks a little TOO new for
> my taste. Better to wait for the 64bit OS another generation or two
> of chipsets before taking the plunge.
> While I wait I am stuck with what I have, except for that Radeon 9500
> Pro.
> I am looking to replace that 9500 with another AGP "mainstream" card
> costing no more than $200. When last I bought a video card ATI was on
> top with the 9500 Pro and NVidia was running a pretty poor second
> with their mainstream card. This time around the it seems ATI has
> stumbled and NVidia is top dog. This makes the prime candidate in my
> price range a GForce 6600 GT with little from ATI close enough to
> even consider.
> Being far from a guru I know better than to buy anything without first
> seeking the opinion of the more knowledgable here in the NG. Any
> advice would be appreciated.

The 6600GT AGP replacing a 9500 Pro should fix that problem for you. I
*KNOW* that the 6800 and up would, without a doubt at all. You'd be
hard pressed to find a 6800 for $200 though. The 6600GT is said to be
"the most bang for the buck" right now.

I do kinda regret not having a 6600GT card to play with. I can really
only guess how it stacks up. I pulled out 9800 Pro and FX5900 to drop
in 6800-128 and 6800GT. I can tell you there's a big bold difference
now in XP3000+ 1 gig (9800 to 6800) and P4-3.0 2gigs (FX5900 to 6800GT).
But those two 6800 type cards set me back $300 for the 6800 then 2
months later $400 for the GT.

<well, me and my son are *both* happy now :) >
McG.