Wireless card takes a while to start.

When the laptop is booted up the wireless connection
takes a few minutes before it connects. Is there a way to
get the wireless to connect even before the laptop is
logged on to? A new user cannot log on to the network
from the laptop if they don't have a profile currently on
the machine.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Chris
4 answers Last reply
More about wireless card takes start

    I presume yo uare using static WEP keys in your wireless LAN?

    Currently you can do what you want using 802.1x authentication for you
    wireless LAN. Some enterprise environments use 802.1x, but most home
    networks don't. With 802.1x, you can use the machine's credentials (if it is
    joined to a domain) to authenticate to the wireless network before a user
    logs on.

    I will check into whether there is a way to get static WEP authentication to
    work before a user logs on, but am not aware of anything currently.

    Mark.

    "Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When the laptop is booted up the wireless connection
    > takes a few minutes before it connects. Is there a way to
    > get the wireless to connect even before the laptop is
    > logged on to? A new user cannot log on to the network
    > from the laptop if they don't have a profile currently on
    > the machine.
    >
    > Any ideas would be appreciated.
    > Chris

    I stand corrected. If you set up your wireless adapter using Windows this
    setting will be picked up automatically when the machine starts in future.
    No user needs to be logged on for Windows to connect your laptop to the
    wireless LAN, assuming your settings are correct.

    What you may be seeing is a delay due to the scanning behaviour of your
    wireless card (some cards can take 30 seconds or more to scan for visible
    networks), as well as a delay in the start of the wireless configuration
    service after boot up.

    If you wait for a few minutes, are you able to log on to the laptop as a new
    user? Or does this not work at all for you?

    "Mark Wodrich [MSFT]" <markwo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I presume yo uare using static WEP keys in your wireless LAN?
    >
    > Currently you can do what you want using 802.1x authentication for you
    > wireless LAN. Some enterprise environments use 802.1x, but most home
    > networks don't. With 802.1x, you can use the machine's credentials (if it
    > is joined to a domain) to authenticate to the wireless network before a
    > user logs on.
    >
    > I will check into whether there is a way to get static WEP authentication
    > to work before a user logs on, but am not aware of anything currently.
    >
    > Mark.
    >
    > "Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> When the laptop is booted up the wireless connection
    >> takes a few minutes before it connects. Is there a way to
    >> get the wireless to connect even before the laptop is
    >> logged on to? A new user cannot log on to the network
    >> from the laptop if they don't have a profile currently on
    >> the machine.
    >>
    >> Any ideas would be appreciated.
    >> Chris

    I also have this problem, authenticating to a domain.

    The wireless will not become 'live' until a successful logon occurs. A
    solution suggested to logon first locally as a user, logoff after the NIC is
    active, then logoff and logon to the domain. As you can imagine, this is
    causing chaos and there should be a solution.

    I turned on ALL the services on a laptop to try and still no joy....the damn
    thing will not start until a logon has successfully been made! We use DHCP
    in our domain, and sometimes the laptop doesnt even pick up a proper IP
    range, just the default 168.xxx.xxx.xxx. I'm beginning to suspect the AP.
    We use a Buffalo G54, and I'm unsure if it has been configured correctly.
    SInce I don't have any manuals for the thing, we're a little stuck.

    John

    > I stand corrected. If you set up your wireless adapter using Windows this
    > setting will be picked up automatically when the machine starts in future.
    > No user needs to be logged on for Windows to connect your laptop to the
    > wireless LAN, assuming your settings are correct.
    >
    > What you may be seeing is a delay due to the scanning behaviour of your
    > wireless card (some cards can take 30 seconds or more to scan for visible
    > networks), as well as a delay in the start of the wireless configuration
    > service after boot up.
    >
    > If you wait for a few minutes, are you able to log on to the laptop as a
    new
    > user? Or does this not work at all for you?
    >
    > "Mark Wodrich [MSFT]" <markwo@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I presume yo uare using static WEP keys in your wireless LAN?
    > >
    > > Currently you can do what you want using 802.1x authentication for you
    > > wireless LAN. Some enterprise environments use 802.1x, but most home
    > > networks don't. With 802.1x, you can use the machine's credentials (if
    it
    > > is joined to a domain) to authenticate to the wireless network before a
    > > user logs on.
    > >
    > > I will check into whether there is a way to get static WEP
    authentication
    > > to work before a user logs on, but am not aware of anything currently.
    > >
    > > Mark.
    > >
    > > "Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> When the laptop is booted up the wireless connection
    > >> takes a few minutes before it connects. Is there a way to
    > >> get the wireless to connect even before the laptop is
    > >> logged on to? A new user cannot log on to the network
    > >> from the laptop if they don't have a profile currently on
    > >> the machine.
    > >>
    > >> Any ideas would be appreciated.
    > >> Chris

    If you wait long enough the card will start ( 1-5 minutes ) witout someone logging on, it doesn't seem to be a constant. It would be nice if the card would connect a little quicker. I have checked with the card manufacturer and they don't seem to think it's a problem. If someone knows of any way to speed this up it would be great.

    Thanks for actually answering the post
    Chris

Wireless Laptops Connection Networking Wireless Networking