upgrade

I currently have the 6600 256mb pci-e card. Would the 6600gt out perform
the standard 6600 by enough to upgrade? I'm really disappointed in the
performance of the 6600 but I cannot afford the 6800gt nor the ultra.

Thanks

Check ou this deal on a PNY 6800GT 256 MB: $299.99! It's at Fry's
"Outpost" online.

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4122823?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

--
DaveW

"Larry Teague" <lteague@don't.do.it.sc.rr.com> wrote in message
>I currently have the 6600 256mb pci-e card. Would the 6600gt out perform
>the standard 6600 by enough to upgrade? I'm really disappointed in the
>performance of the 6600 but I cannot afford the 6800gt nor the ultra.
>
> Thanks

you may be able to "open up" better performance on the 6600. There are
programs that will let you activate the disabled GT features on the 6600.
It doesn't always work but I think it's worth a shot. There's a mainstream
video utility out there that will let you do tis(Damn,can't remember the
name). Here's a link that might help.
http://www.digital-daily.com/video/peredelki/index02.htm

"dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> you may be able to "open up" better performance on the 6600. There are
> programs that will let you activate the disabled GT features on the
> 6600. It doesn't always work but I think it's worth a shot. There's a
> mainstream video utility out there that will let you do
> tis(Damn,can't remember the name). Here's a link that might help.
> http://www.digital-daily.com/video/peredelki/index02.htm
>

> "Larry Teague" <lteague@don't.do.it.sc.rr.com> wrote in message
>> I currently have the 6600 256mb pci-e card. Would the 6600gt out
>> perform the standard 6600 by enough to upgrade? I'm really
>> disappointed in the performance of the 6600 but I cannot afford the
>> 6800gt nor the ultra.
>>
>> Thanks

it's RivaTuner.

McG.

I installed Riva Tuner. Is there a step by step manual that explains what to
check and what not to check?

> "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> you may be able to "open up" better performance on the 6600. There are
>> programs that will let you activate the disabled GT features on the
>> 6600. It doesn't always work but I think it's worth a shot. There's a
>> mainstream video utility out there that will let you do
>> tis(Damn,can't remember the name). Here's a link that might help.
>> http://www.digital-daily.com/video/peredelki/index02.htm
>>

>> "Larry Teague" <lteague@don't.do.it.sc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> I currently have the 6600 256mb pci-e card. Would the 6600gt out
>>> perform the standard 6600 by enough to upgrade? I'm really
>>> disappointed in the performance of the 6600 but I cannot afford the
>>> 6800gt nor the ultra.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>
> it's RivaTuner.
>
> McG.

Yup.That's one. There's another by entech? maybe.Damn I'm getting senile.

> I installed Riva Tuner. Is there a step by step manual that explains
> what to check and what not to check?

snip

>> it's RivaTuner.
>>
>> McG.

For the softmod? Don't think so. Here, have a look at this
Googlegroups thread, it's from where I tried this back right before
Christmas. Scroll a bit over halfway down.
http://tinyurl.com/cnnrj

an important bit is that for the section 'NVStrap' you have to allow
RivaTuner to install its little driver, reboot the system, then the
stuff in NVStrap is available.

McG.

> Check ou this deal on a PNY 6800GT 256 MB: $299.99! It's at Fry's
> "Outpost" online.
>
> http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4122823?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
>

> "Larry Teague" <lteague@don't.do.it.sc.rr.com> wrote in message
>> I currently have the 6600 256mb pci-e card. Would the 6600gt out
>> perform the standard 6600 by enough to upgrade? I'm really
>> disappointed in the performance of the 6600 but I cannot afford the
>> 6800gt nor the ultra. Thanks

Great tip Dave!

Thanks, Exactly what I'm looking for.

> Thanks, Exactly what I'm looking for.

Happy to be a help.
McG.

>> "Larry Teague" <lteague@don't.do.it.sc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> I installed Riva Tuner. Is there a step by step manual that explains
>>> what to check and what not to check?
>>>

>> snip

>> For the softmod? Don't think so. Here, have a look at this
>> Googlegroups thread, it's from where I tried this back right before
>> Christmas. Scroll a bit over halfway down.
>> http://tinyurl.com/cnnrj
>>
>> an important bit is that for the section 'NVStrap' you have to allow
>> RivaTuner to install its little driver, reboot the system, then the
>> stuff in NVStrap is available.
>>
>> McG.

Thanks for all the help, McG.
As I'm sure you figured it didn't work for me. It was so bad I had to start
in safe mode and revert back to a good setting.
Everything is back to normal so it was a good learning experience with no
gained nor lost.

Thanks

> Thanks for all the help, McG.
> As I'm sure you figured it didn't work for me. It was so bad I had to
> start in safe mode and revert back to a good setting.
> Everything is back to normal so it was a good learning experience
> with no gained nor lost.
>
> Thanks

You're welcome Larry. As with my own card, it didn't work. Glad you
got it back to normal! Erm...so you got to see first hand why those
pipes were masked "Out Of Order". It is a good learning experience.
McG.

"Larry Teague" wrote:

> I'm really disappointed in the performance of the 6600 but I cannot afford
> the 6800gt nor the ultra.

Larry, on the comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action NewsGroup,I posted a great deal I
got at CompUSA for BFG nVidia Geforce 6800GT OC for $250. It listed for
$400. I politely asked if I could get a better deal, "since everyone going
OCi-e these days",and he knocked $150 ucks off the price.

Find the manager, be nice, and ask him/her if they can do better on the
price.

Worked for me. I highly recommend the BFG nVidia GeForce 6800GT OC
(factory-overclocked from 350 to 370) for AGP. Lifetime warranty. 24/7
Support.

....now the "Ultra"...well, he wouldn't budge... ¦ Þ

Thanks.

Mark

"MP" can't type and MEANT to say:

> Larry, on the comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action NewsGroup,I posted a great deal
> I got at CompUSA for BFG nVidia Geforce 6800GT OC for $250. It listed for
> $400. I politely asked if I could get a better deal, "since everyone going
> OCi-e these days",and he knocked $150 ucks off the price.

With errors corrected...

> > Larry, on the "comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action" NewsGroup, I posted a great
> > deal I got at CompUSA for BFG nVidia Geforce 6800GT OC for $250. It
> > listed for $400. I politely asked if I could get a better deal, "since
> > everyone going
> *PCi-e* these days", and he knocked $150 USD *bucks* off the price.

Mark

I'm the goofball that went PCI-E.....lol