Upgrade or wait?

I'm going to have the cash soon to afford to upgrade my video card from a
5900XT to a 6600GT ... current spec is

AMD Athlon 2800+
Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2 (Ver1)
1Gb DDR400 running Dual Channel
Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS

plus the usual hard drives & burners etc.

Now ... should I get the 6600GT or wait for a until I upgrade the whole
thing? ... is the upgrade going to be worth it bearing in mind that when I
upgrade I'll probably need to buy a pci-e video card.

I play quite a lot of 3d games HL2, Everquest 2, UT2004 etc. ... the other
option is to buy an lcd monitor with the cash to replace my 17" crt .. any
recommendations for someone in the UK?

cheers

Mal
7 answers Last reply
More about upgrade wait

    Wait

    Oth

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 17:15:48 +0100, "Mal" <homer@barts.com> wrote:

    >I'm going to have the cash soon to afford to upgrade my video card from a
    >5900XT to a 6600GT ... current spec is
    >
    >AMD Athlon 2800+
    >Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2 (Ver1)
    >1Gb DDR400 running Dual Channel
    >Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS
    >
    >plus the usual hard drives & burners etc.
    >
    >Now ... should I get the 6600GT or wait for a until I upgrade the whole
    >thing? ... is the upgrade going to be worth it bearing in mind that when I
    >upgrade I'll probably need to buy a pci-e video card.

    Wait !!
    Try again September-October & with PCIe. You should then have some
    VERY attractive system-choices including MBs upgradable to dual-core
    (AMD or Intel) plus software-configurable SLI/non-SLI and the prices
    of all elements, MB, SATA-disks, PCIe video-card(s), CPUs, memory will
    have fallen significantly. Prices for PCIe-based system-components are

    rapidly sliding down the price-curve, and quite a bit of flattening
    will occur later this year synchronous with more flexible (or
    advanced) motherboard options.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis wrote:
    > Try again September-October & with PCIe. You should then have some
    > VERY attractive system-choices including MBs upgradable to dual-core
    > (AMD or Intel) plus software-configurable SLI/non-SLI and the prices
    > of all elements, MB, SATA-disks, PCIe video-card(s), CPUs, memory will
    > have fallen significantly. Prices for PCIe-based system-components are

    AFAIK all AMD [939 & 940] boards are dual-core compatible, some
    requiring a bios update. yeah not Intel tho.

    interesting to hear about software SLI... what exactly does that mean?
    software sli mode switching..? is there a link i can read more on that...?

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 13:26:26 +1200, gimp <anonymous@smeg.com> wrote:

    >John Lewis wrote:
    >> Try again September-October & with PCIe. You should then have some
    >> VERY attractive system-choices including MBs upgradable to dual-core
    >> (AMD or Intel) plus software-configurable SLI/non-SLI and the prices
    >> of all elements, MB, SATA-disks, PCIe video-card(s), CPUs, memory will
    >> have fallen significantly. Prices for PCIe-based system-components are
    >

    >AFAIK all AMD [939 & 940] boards are dual-core compatible, some
    >requiring a bios update. yeah not Intel tho.
    >
    >interesting to hear about software SLI... what exactly does that mean?
    >software sli mode switching..? is there a link i can read more on that...?

    See two relevant threads in this newsgroup, both started by
    me...........

    "High-performance SLI or dual-GPU graphics - beware Intel's dual-core
    CPU power consumption" (posted 5/9/2005)
    " First dual-core-capable desktop motherboard based on the INTEL
    nVidia-SLI chip-set is in stock !!" (posted 5/14/2005) .

    The board in question is the MSI P4N Diamond ( ~ $230 @ Newegg ),
    software SLI-switching AND Creative 24-bit 7.1-channel on-board
    audio, plus all the peripheral benefits of a nForce4 chip-set, SATA1 &
    2 ncq, dual-gigabit ethernet.
    The only AMD software-SLI-switching motherboard ( A64 4800+
    compatible) is the Asus "A8N-SLI Premium", not yet in retail stock.
    Nforce4 chip-set, & afair Realtek audio ( yuk!!)

    John Lewis

    "DaveL" wrote:

    > I just saw an ad for a BFG 6800 oc agp at Frys for $150 after $30 rebate.

    Dave, is this the one?

    http://tinyurl.com/cpodu

    If so, it's not *exactly* the same as the BFG nVidia GeForce 6800GT OC. The
    6800GT OC has 256 MB of memory; the FX6800 OC has 128MB.

    Plus, the 6800GT OC is factory overclocked at 370MHz; the FX6800 OC is
    factory overclocked at 350MHz.

    No biggie, unless there are pipeline issues I am not aware of.

    Anyway...I bought my BFG nVidia GeForce 6800GT OC at CompUSA for $250.00 USD
    (List price: $399.99) but I bought a bunch of other stuff, too. They were
    sold out of them the last time I looked at my local CompUSA store.

    I didn't feel like waiting, and I love the BFG 6800GT OC card.

    Maybe later I'll go PCI-e, but now I'm still AGP.

    Mark

    "MP" <markparrish@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > "DaveL" wrote:
    >
    >> I just saw an ad for a BFG 6800 oc agp at Frys for $150 after $30 rebate.
    >
    > Dave, is this the one?
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/cpodu
    >
    > If so, it's not *exactly* the same as the BFG nVidia GeForce 6800GT OC.
    > The 6800GT OC has 256 MB of memory; the FX6800 OC has 128MB.

    Yes that's the same card but at a much lower price. It was advertised as a
    one day sale in the paper. I was temped to drive over tonight and get one
    but I really don't need a new card right now. Still it's got to be the best
    deal I have seen on a new card. And no, it's not a 6800GT but I never said
    it was.

    DaveL

    "DaveL" informed us:

    >> I just saw an ad for a BFG 6800 oc agp at Frys for $150 after $30 rebate.

    "MP" replied:>> Dave, is this the one?

    >> http://tinyurl.com/cpodu
    >>
    >> If so, it's not *exactly* the same as the BFG nVidia GeForce 6800GT OC.
    >> The 6800GT OC has 256 MB of memory; the FX6800 OC has 128MB.

    "DaveL" answered:

    > Yes that's the same card but at a much lower price. It was advertised as
    > a one day sale in the paper. I was temped to drive over tonight and get
    > one but I really don't need a new card right now. Still it's got to be
    > the best deal I have seen on a new card. And no, it's not a 6800GT but I
    > never said it was.

    Dave, yes, you're right, you didn't. But I was hoping you (or someone here)
    would divulge a bit of information (guess I should have come out and asked
    for it) on the differences between the two.

    I'm sorry I brought it up. ¦ Þ

    Mark

Nvidia Graphics Cards Graphics