dvi versus analog

OK. I ordered a monitor that has both DVI and Analog input. Most new video
cards seem to be dual DVI now and it seems that standard VGA connectors are
on the way out... My newest card has dual DVI and in fact, the card it
replaced has dual DVI.

What advantage is there to using the DVI over the VGA?

Glitch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

twobirds wrote:
> What advantage is there to using the DVI over the VGA?

The 'original' signal of LCDs(and a few CRTs) is digital,hence DVI
connection. If you choose VGA,then the card has to make conversions
from DVI>VGa and monitor VGA>digital to display the image,and that leads
to losing image quality.

--
Glitches are BAD!!!
Beware...

ICQ:275699535

twobirds wrote:

> What advantage is there to using the DVI over the VGA?

As mentioned already, when going to an LCD screen, it'll be
digital all the way to the LCD's pixels on the screen where it
goes analog to the eye. So quality is higher.

However, a lot of the time, if not most of the time, you can
put a DVI->VGA connector converter on the port and connect it
to CRT monitor w/VGA connector. I've a Quadro 700 XGL that I
recently went dual-monitor on, and I've a VGA connector going
to both ports, one using a DVI->VGA adapter that I bought locally
(new)for around $3~4 or so. I think the card came with one
originally, but I bought the card used. Some DVI ports may not
have the analog signals on it, so one does have to be careful
even if most all do.

Mike