Gainward GeForce 6800GT OR Second Ledtek Winfast 6600GT fo..

BillL

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

Hi all,

The current price of a second Ledtek 6600GT card is around £140 (inc tax)
with the Gainward 6800GT coming in at £236. I'd like to be able to run all
games at the native resolution of my 17" LG LCD 1280x1024 with AA & AF with
an acceptable frame rate (OK, we all probably want to do this? ;o).

Now obviously I'd like to buy a second 6600GT card and run an SLi config as
it'd be cheeper. but from reading around it appears that there are still
problems with SLi (game support, bugs etc.) plus I also have to think of the
hassle of installing a second card (re-routing internal USB cables, power &
heat issues).

What kind of experience are people having with SLi setups and has anyone
decided not to go down this route and just gone with a 6800GT card?

TIA

BillL

System
AMD A64 3200+ (Winchester)
Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI (F7 BIOS)
1 GB RAM (2 x 512 MB Crucial Ballistix DIMM's) PC4000
Leadtek PX6600GT 'Extreme'
Coolermaster 'Wavemaster'Case
OCZ 530 Watt PSU
LG L1720B 17" LCD

In article <QdLje.36806$G8.4589@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, BillL
says...
> Hi all,
>
> The current price of a second Ledtek 6600GT card is around £140 (inc tax)
> with the Gainward 6800GT coming in at £236. I'd like to be able to run all
> games at the native resolution of my 17" LG LCD 1280x1024 with AA & AF with
> an acceptable frame rate (OK, we all probably want to do this? ;o).
>
> Now obviously I'd like to buy a second 6600GT card and run an SLi config as
> it'd be cheeper. but from reading around it appears that there are still
> problems with SLi (game support, bugs etc.) plus I also have to think of the
> hassle of installing a second card (re-routing internal USB cables, power &
> heat issues).
>
> What kind of experience are people having with SLi setups and has anyone
> decided not to go down this route and just gone with a 6800GT card?

Summat up with your computer if you're not getting decent framerates
already.

My spec:

Athlon XP3200+
Abit nForce 2 Ultra 400 mobo
1GB Crucial PC3200
Club 3D 128MB 6600GT AGP card.

Just run CS:Source stress test on my AGP 6600GT with 6xAA and 16x
anisotropic filtering at 1280x1024. Averaged 83 FPS. Using net_graph 3,
the lowest framerate I observed was 31 and the highest was 200.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.