Question re DVI connectors

I am trying to connect a Samsung 213T LCD monitor to a XFX 6600GT
nVidia PCI-E graphics card.

If I connect using the Samsung supplied DVI cable, I see a floating
box on the monitor with a "Check Signal Cable" message. This occurs
whether or not the computer is even turned on, which indicates to me
that it is a cable problem, and not a driver problem

If I use a DVI to VGA adaptor on the graphics card, and connect to the
Samsung using the VGA cable, everything works fine. (The Samsung has
both a VGA cable and a DVI cable and a separate connection for each).
But I’d rather connect using the DVI connection.

The graphics card and the monitor each have a 24 pin connector DVI-D
Dual Link style of connector, but the DVI cable that was supplied by
Samsung is only a 16 pin DVI-D Single Link style.

Has anyone come across this problem, and is it possible that a 24 pin
DVI-D Dual Link cable would fix the problem.

Thanks
Dennis

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Nvidia-DVI-connectors-ftopict56180.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=282285

denbe wrote:
> I am trying to connect a Samsung 213T LCD monitor to a XFX 6600GT
> nVidia PCI-E graphics card.
>
> If I connect using the Samsung supplied DVI cable, I see a floating
> box on the monitor with a "Check Signal Cable" message.

> Has anyone come across this problem, and is it possible that a 24 pin
> DVI-D Dual Link cable would fix the problem.

A dual link DVI cable - which is very expensive - will do you no good,
as the graph card isn't dual link capable. So you should be fine with a
single link DVI-D cable.

Perhaps the cable is broken, or the input on the Samsung not working
right, or even the output on the XFX not right. If you have a friend
with a DVI graph card and monitor nearby, you can find out which.