Frequent Sound Stutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragnerok X

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
For approximately the past two months, I've noticed that my sound, system-wide, has begun to stutter. It appears to be a performance-related issue, because the sound stutters more violently during the system startup sound and when I've got the computer doing computationally-intensive tasks. I've had this Windows 7 (Professional, x64) install for just over a year now, and up until these last two months, there was no stuttering whatsoever.

My hardware configuration, aside from my power supply and system fan, is no different from that which I installed Windows on. I'm currently not overclocking anything, and the only minor hardware-related change my system has seen are bios updates for my Gigabyte G41M-ES2L motherboard. I'm using my motherboard's built-in Realtek ALC888B audio, using Gigabyte's motherboard-specific driver.

I've done full scans/cleanings using up-to-date versions of Microsoft Security Essentials (which I do weekly scans with), Malwarebytes, Spybot and CCleaner, none of which have resolved or even reduced my issue. My Windows install and major programs are all up-to-date. While my Windows install is by no means spartan, it is well-maintained, and I'm using just over half of the space in my 320GB hard drive. HWMonitor reports 36 Celsius CPU core temps, and a 56 Celsius GPU temp. I clean the insides of my case fairly regularly, so I doubt this is a cooling issue.

I suspect winrot, but I'm open to any suggestions. I can provide further system information, if necessary.

You've done a good job reporting your problem, and closing potential doors to solutions.

Is it possible for you to do a system restore to a point in time 3 months ago?

It doesn't appear to be a hardware problem - if it is it will be a tough diagnose lol. So its most likely a software issue . . . hence the reocmmendation.

You could also try removing the Realtek driver, and downloading a fresh copy.

arges86

Distinguished
sounds like a system file of some kind.
If completely uninstalling your drivers, and then reinstalling them (i like using Revo Uninstaller) then try doing a system repair.
(Boot to instillation disk, after language select repair, then pick your OS)

Dragnerok X

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Update: Re-installing the drivers did nothing to fix the stuttering.

I took a look into system restore, but unfortunately, my restore points seem to only go back one month.

However, I do have a little more information regarding the stuttering that I forgot to mention earlier. Not only is the audio stuttering, but there are times when, and I've particularly noticed this more over the past week, where there is a delay between me doing whatever action it is causes the sound and the sound playing, as if the combined stuttering and delay were some kind of audio lag. While I notice the system tends to slow down a little when the stuttering occurs, my overall system performance isn't all that bad, which is odd, and of course my scans haven't done much to resolve anything. At this point, I'd be surprised if this turned out to be something other than winrot. If all of this ends up being a bloody mess, I suppose it's never too late to give Linux/Unix another try.

As Arges86 suggested, try a Windows Repair.

Yeah, its too late for Linux ;)

If the stuttering DIDN'T occur during Windows Start-up, I'd more likely suspect . . . er . . . winrot. But I don't thjink so. You can watch your CPU utilization via task manager while playing a sound. If utilization doesn't peg to 100% causing the stutter, its a different problem.

Dragnerok X

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Update #2: I ran both the auto-scanning "startup repair" and, for the heck of it, the memory test from my Windows disc. Neither had any effect on my current audio situation.

Oddly enough, CPU usage doesn't seem to spike at all when audio is playing, despite the stutter.

[strike]If this makes any difference, I have another observation to point out. System beeps and the startup sounds seem to stutter almost constantly, whereas applications like iTunes stutter very infrequently.[/strike]

Dragnerok X

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
If there is no obvious fix, as I suspect, that's fine by me. For the time being, I suppose this sound issue is tolerable, given that it occurs very infrequently in applications. If things get too bad, I suppose I can always backup and reinstall, with or without Windows.

bobthecoolman

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
This is somewhat concerning: I have encounter this problem also on 7 x64 Pro. It has happened fairly recently too. For me it was video/audio, but I managed to fix it to audio only (stutter even when logging back in.)

Dragnerok X

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010

If this makes any difference, I have another observation to point out. System beeps and the startup sounds seem to stutter almost constantly, whereas applications like iTunes stutter very infrequently.

Scratch that, it seems to be happening pretty much at the same frequency system-wide. I'll try another pass or two on that Windows install disc, and see if I run into any luck.

Dragnerok X

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
After another pass, Startup Repair seems to indicate there's nothing left to diagnose. The only lead I ever got there was some kind of driver error during my first pass, which made sense because I had then just re-installed the audio driver and restarted the system. Needless to say, the error has long since vanished and the stuttering still continues.

Although there is yet another thing which I forgot to mention. I have been getting a number of Bugcode_USB_Driver BSODs lately, if that has anything to do with the issue at hand.

klecko

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Let me begin by saying this problem can be easily fixed. I've done it. I had this exact problem on my custom desktop..

My Specs: Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.80 - usually clocked to 4.11
ASUS P6X58D-E
Crucial 120GB SSD
6GB Patriot Ram
Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

it was as if there was just a random power surge and made the system kind of 'burp' or send a zap sound over the speakers, whenever media played- especially when i touched the mouse. The thing that really got me crazy was that it didn't seem to matter how intensive the media was, nor how much memory, cpu, disk, network resources were being used. It would happen during MPC, Utube, WMP, WMC, iTunes, didn't seem to matter.

I found the solution about 6 months ago, but no matter how much I search I can no longer find the page. I'm having the same problem again, this time on a Sony Vaio laptop (Core2 duo P8700 @ 2.53)

The solution had something to do with unchecking a box in the settings for the primary hard drive- in my case the SSD, that i think had something to do with 'flushing' something. But I can't get back to the setting page with that option, I remember there were a couple of non-intuitive steps to get there. This is the answer, as it righted my problem as soon as I rebooted.

I feel like an idiot in that I can't figure out how to re-trace my steps, nor can I get back to the link that I found. Hopefully someone else knows what I'm talking about and can help us out!

nerofive4

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
System Build sounds very much like mine, could you please let me know if you can find the info, i really have no idea what your solution reguarding flushing is. I have a
256gb samsung 830,
an i7 3770k,
a 670 gtx FTW, and
32 gb of corsair sport ram,
with windows 7 pro 64 bit

I noticed the stuttering with the pandora widget playing I have seen no issues with system use. The mouse and system will freeze breifly when the system stutters, I have had it lock twice, probably .005% of the time. Let me know if the solution relates to the ssd.

Thanks

nerofive4

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
I figured out the issue on mine, it was bizarre, sorry I dont have the link, but it was related to the wireless network card I had. (Airlink something) the is a small program I found that checked the lag on the computer, when I disabled this in the DEVICE MANAGER, I also had a program I beleive called DPC Latency Checker that would show bars and when they reached above a ceratian point they corresponded with the freeze points on the computer.

I think the whole issues was the old drivers on the network adapter did not properly set priority for tasks and actually interfered with system process. Just a amature guess.

nostilja

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
Closing easytune 6 when not needed.

For me it was easy tune 6, for what ever reason (i guess the live monitoring of the motherboard) was lagging the sound or causing stutters. Closing it when its not needed resolved the issue for me. I dont know why this issue started but thats how it worked out for me. During my research these are other solutions people have provided that may help you guys out.

Here other possible solutions,
ROLL Back (or change) the driver for Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. this can be found in device manager/network adapters
and lastly uninstalling or stopping the service for intel rapid storage technology and intel matrix storage technology.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
intel i5 3570k, saphire 7870hd oc edition, gigabyte Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, thermaltake 700W power supply, corsair 8gb 1600mhz ddrIII, windows 7 64bit.

rslegge

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
Hello Windows Buzzing Haters,

I also recently developed the regular buzz that happens when ever I play Youtube, mp3s, even system sounds are apt to be affected. Never happened to me before, does not happen on Ubuntu. Seems like it happens on my windows machines every 20 seconds or so. I do not notice a system usage spike.

I have been researching quite a bit on this issue and feel assured it is not my PS, Graphics Card, sound card, or any other wild hair that has been proposed around the web. All types of systems running windows are affected and so vast a problem can not be for random hardware/driver reasons.

Everyone's problems began a month or two ago and are described the same.

Although I can not prove it, or have yet to find a solution, I am convinced it has been caused by the update to windows we all get every Tuesday or so.

warpig67

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
I am thinking the same thing. Started in the last month and happens primarily with anything sound related. Mp3s, video related or Spotify.I need a fix because it is really annoying. Unfortunate others are having same problem but a relieve that it could be something other than a possible hardware failure.

giggitygoo7

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
For whatever it may be worth, I had a problem that sounds very similar to that reported here and I tracked it down to MalwareBytes Antimalware Pro. When Malwarebytes is running in the background, I get intermittent sound/video stutters during playback. However, if I close malwarebytes, the problem disappears. I'm going to contact their support to see if they can explain why.

DrummerMan93

Honorable
May 9, 2013

I've been having the same issue with my laptop and no matter what I did I couldn't fix it. But I noticed that it stopped when I wasn't running CPUID's HWMoniter to monitor my temps. Maybe you having a program constantly running in the background that could be causing the problem....
Good luck.

mattymou

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
I found a solution that worked instantly to stop the stutter: stop the Service called wmpnetwk.exe [Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service]

To do this:
1. Start task manager (right-click the taskbar and select task manager)
2. Go to the Services tab and click on Services at the bottom right - you may need to provide the admin password
3. Find the process "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service". Right click it and select Stop
I hope this works for you too!

I found the answer here

Griggabyte

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013

Okay, I know this is way way way past when you this was going on but I found this flushing thing you were talking about. Unfortunately for me it's already unchecked but I'll share my discovery in hope it will solve this for others. First in system properties go to advanced system setting and then device manager under the hardware tab. Once in the click the drop down arrow on the disk drives and locate your primary hard disk, right click and hit properties. Now under the policies tab is the setting I believe you were referring to. Sorry if this was useless but I hope it wasn't.

spakk

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

awesme mate, this seems to fix it for me, well done!!
was getting this problem system wide had no idea why.
was just putting up with the issue to be honest until i noticed it was also affecting my usb audio device i use for djing.
audio stuttering then becomes a big problem.
nice one!

jermoy13

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
having the same problem but luckily i found this

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

solved my sound stuttering problem while listening to online radios and playing local music file. give it a try.. and here is my pc specs.
Motherboard
CPU Type QuadCore AMD A8-5600K, 3900 MHz (39 x 100)
Motherboard Name MSI FM2-A75MA-P33 (MS-7721) (1 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 2 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Video, Gigabit LAN)
Motherboard Chipset AMD A75, AMD K15.1
System Memory 3280 MB (DDR3-1600 DDR3 SDRAM)
DIMM3: Crucial CT25664BA160B.C8F 2 GB DDR3-1600 DDR3 SDRAM (11-11-11-28 @ 800 MHz) (10-10-10-27 @ 761 MHz) (9-9-9-24 @ 685 MHz) (8-8-8-22 @ 609 MHz) (7-7-7-19 @ 533 MHz) (6-6-6-16 @ 457 MHz)
DIMM4: Crucial CT25664BA160B.C8F 2 GB DDR3-1600 DDR3 SDRAM (11-11-11-28 @ 800 MHz) (10-10-10-27 @ 761 MHz) (9-9-9-24 @ 685 MHz) (8-8-8-22 @ 609 MHz) (7-7-7-19 @ 533 MHz) (6-6-6-16 @ 457 MHz)
BIOS Type AMI (12/02/2013)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
Video Adapter AMD Radeon HD 7560D (768 MB)
3D Accelerator AMD Radeon HD 7560D (Trinity)
Monitor Philips 202EL [20" LCD] (AU41121000211)

Multimedia
Audio Adapter ATI Radeon HDMI @ AMD K15.1 - High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Adapter Realtek ALC887 @ AMD Hudson-3 FCH - High Definition Audio Controller

Storage
IDE Controller AMD SATA Controller
Storage Controller Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller
Disk Drive ExcelStor Technology J9250S (232 GB)
Disk Drive ST500DM005 HD502HJ (500 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions
C: (NTFS) 146.1 GB (84.5 GB free)
D: (NTFS) 232.9 GB (208.3 GB free)
E: (NTFS) 319.3 GB (318.7 GB free)
Total Size 698.3 GB (611.5 GB free)

Input
Keyboard Standard PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network Adapter Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (192.168.1.2)

Peripherals
Printer Fax
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
USB1 Controller AMD Hudson-3 FCH - USB OHCI Controller
USB2 Controller AMD Hudson-3 FCH - USB 2.0 EHCI Controller
USB2 Controller AMD Hudson-3 FCH - USB 2.0 EHCI Controller
USB3 Controller AMD Hudson-3 FCH - USB 3.0 xHCI Controller
USB3 Controller AMD Hudson-3 FCH - USB 3.0 xHCI Controller
USB Device USB Input Device

DMI
DMI BIOS Vendor American Megatrends Inc.
DMI BIOS Version V11.5
DMI System Manufacturer MSI
DMI System Product MS-7721
DMI System Version 3.0
DMI System Serial Number To be filled by O.E.M.
DMI System UUID 00000000-00000000-0000D43D-7EBD08F9
DMI Motherboard Manufacturer MSI
DMI Motherboard Product FM2-A75MA-P33 (MS-7721)
DMI Motherboard Version 3.0
DMI Motherboard Serial Number To be filled by O.E.M.
DMI Chassis Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.
DMI Chassis Version 3.0
DMI Chassis Serial Number To Be Filled By O.E.M.
DMI Chassis Asset Tag To Be Filled By O.E.M.
DMI Chassis Type Desktop Case

jory299

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

For whatever it may be worth? You were spot on! I have fiddled for hours upon hours with this problem, and YUP that is IT!!! Have you had a response from MalwareBytes yet? I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Currently my nice sound card sits off to the side of the pc, uninstalled, I am trying onboard sound card, but the issue was a software - a program - Malwarebytes. I am thankful you posted this. I would give you a senior badge if I could! I am listening to stutter free, static free music. Thank you soooooo much!!

Edited to add: Here is some additional information Re: this issue others have had, when Malwarebytes Pro turns out to be part of the problem. https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=124644

Status
Not open for further replies.