Leadtek PX6800GT - bios?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Does anyone have this card and does anyone know if there is a more recent
bios revision for this PCI Express card available? My bios is dated October
2004 and version 5.40.02.32.

Is there any more recent versions available?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I don't have a Leadtek card, but my favorite site for firmware is:

http://www.mvktech.net/

However, there is only one version of the BIOS for your card there, and it's
the same as you have.

In article <d6r12j$8uo$1@reader01.news.esat.net>, Richard Dower says...
> Does anyone have this card and does anyone know if there is a more recent
> bios revision for this PCI Express card available? My bios is dated October
> 2004 and version 5.40.02.32.
>
> Is there any more recent versions available?

Nope and there's no point updating it either.

--
Conor

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Video card firmware is not like motherboard or DVD writer firmware - there's
no need to update it.

First of One <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Video card firmware is not like motherboard or DVD writer firmware -
> there's no need to update it.

Wrong. Higher quality video cards (like Matrox) allow the user to flash the
video card firmware -- it's only ATI and nVidia that cut corners and lower
the price by not providing this feature. It's all a question of costs, and
these consumer grade cards have lower quality and feature sets than
others -- you pay for and get just one thing: speed.

Many of the current problems might have been curable with a BIOS upgrade,
including the 6800GT and Ultra not being able to do hardware video assist
like the 6800 plain, or vesa modes that show up as 720x400 instead of the
correct resolution.

Regards,
--
*Art

jad

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

its a question of 'user' error when flashing/ updating anything....the
liability is not worth the 'feature'

"Arthur Hagen" <art@broomstick.com> wrote in message
> First of One <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Video card firmware is not like motherboard or DVD writer firmware -
> > there's no need to update it.
>
> Wrong. Higher quality video cards (like Matrox) allow the user to flash
the
> video card firmware -- it's only ATI and nVidia that cut corners and lower
> the price by not providing this feature. It's all a question of costs,
and
> these consumer grade cards have lower quality and feature sets than
> others -- you pay for and get just one thing: speed.
>
> Many of the current problems might have been curable with a BIOS upgrade,
> including the 6800GT and Ultra not being able to do hardware video assist
> like the 6800 plain, or vesa modes that show up as 720x400 instead of the
> correct resolution.
>
> Regards,
> --
> *Art

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Arthur Hagen" <art@broomstick.com> wrote in message
> Wrong. Higher quality video cards (like Matrox) allow the user to flash
> the
> video card firmware -- it's only ATI and nVidia that cut corners and lower
> the price by not providing this feature.

Wrong. The BIOS is just that, *basic* IO, something that lets the card
display a picture at boot, before the drivers are loaded. The BIOS is not
meant to be a staging ground for bugfixes or new features. Occasionally
revisions are made when the manufacturer switches RAM suppliers. There
should be no need for BIOS updates; the code should be (and usually is) done
correctly when the retail cards hit store shelves.

> It's all a question of costs, and
> these consumer grade cards have lower quality and feature sets than
> others -- you pay for and get just one thing: speed.

Indeed we are. GF6 cards cost $400-500 because the GPU contains 100+ million
transistors, dictated by the 16 pipelines and full floating-point shader
units.

> Many of the current problems might have been curable with a BIOS upgrade,
> including the 6800GT and Ultra not being able to do hardware video assist
> like the 6800 plain, or

Hardware video assist, you mean that "PureVideo" thing? According to

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2305&p=11

The 6800GT and Ultra still has hardware deinterlacing (which takes care of
most of the quality issues), just not WMV9 decode acceleration. Rather than
a BIOS bug, this is more likely due to incomplete silicon on the GT and
Ultra.

It's also important to note that PureVideo was enabled through new
*drivers*, albeit eight months after the GF6 cards became available.

> vesa modes that show up as 720x400 instead of the
> correct resolution.

What applications are affected by this? Can said applications run on a
modern Matrox card (i.e. newer than G550), which has no Win9x drivers?

TRENDING THREADS