Overclocking the 64MB geforce 4 mx440

I just posted this under video and then realised there was a specific
forum for nvidia cards...oops...anyways,

Hi I'm still fairly new to these forums so please go easy on me,

I currently have a 64MB Geforce 4 MX440 running in my system, and i
have some software that will allow me to change its Clock frequency
and memory frequency of some sort...

Can someone please tell me if it is safe to just amp up both of the
settings without worry, or is there specific settings I need to
know?

Also how much of a difference will it make?
6 answers Last reply
More about overclocking 64mb geforce mx440

    But does it run faster?

    In article <429116e7$1_4@alt.athenanews.com>, BeSerKa2 says...
    > I just posted this under video and then realised there was a specific
    > forum for nvidia cards...oops...anyways,
    >
    > Hi I'm still fairly new to these forums so please go easy on me,
    >
    > I currently have a 64MB Geforce 4 MX440 running in my system, and i
    > have some software that will allow me to change its Clock frequency
    > and memory frequency of some sort...
    >
    > Can someone please tell me if it is safe to just amp up both of the
    > settings without worry, or is there specific settings I need to
    > know?

    It isn't 100% safe. You're running it above spec which means it also
    runs hotter.

    > Also how much of a difference will it make?

    Not very much on a MX440.

    --
    Conor

    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." O.Osbourne.

    "BeSerKa2" <vand31@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > But does it run faster?

    Overclocking an MX440 is like giving a moped more power. It'll technically
    be faster, but will you notice, and will it make any difference? Not
    really.

    RF.

    Jut buy a faster card.

    smoove wrote:
    > Jut buy a faster card.

    That really didn't answer their question...

    To the OP, it's really just trial and error. If you are using rivatuner,
    use the low level overclocking, I've encountered many problems using the
    driver level option. I got my gf4 mx with 128mb up to 310 core and 460
    mem without any consequences. I play nfsu2 in high detail and it runs
    really nice.

    Try upping both a bit at a time, and test for stability.

    McScratchy wrote:
    > smoove wrote:
    >
    >> Jut buy a faster card.
    >

    > That really didn't answer their question...
    >
    > To the OP, it's really just trial and error. If you are using rivatuner,
    > use the low level overclocking, I've encountered many problems using the
    > driver level option. I got my gf4 mx with 128mb up to 310 core and 460
    > mem without any consequences. I play nfsu2 in high detail and it runs
    > really nice.
    >
    > Try upping both a bit at a time, and test for stability.
    >

    >> "BeSerKa2" <vand31@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I just posted this under video and then realised there was a specific
    >>> forum for nvidia cards...oops...anyways,
    >>>
    >>> Hi I'm still fairly new to these forums so please go easy on me,
    >>>
    >>> I currently have a 64MB Geforce 4 MX440 running in my system, and i
    >>> have some software that will allow me to change its Clock frequency
    >>> and memory frequency of some sort...
    >>>
    >>> Can someone please tell me if it is safe to just amp up both of the
    >>> settings without worry, or is there specific settings I need to
    >>> know?
    >>>
    >>> Also how much of a difference will it make?

    Forgot to mention, it will make a marginal difference. If you had a game
    that stuttered on video slightly, it might remedy it, but don't put your
    hopes on making something that looks like a slideshow now run smooth
    like an $800 card.

Nvidia Overclocking Geforce Graphics