450 Display Problems

Hi Group,

On my GW laptop 450 X, the display on the monitor is going. Windows XP
SP2 with all updates.

Words and images blur, followed by vertical stripes (same colors as
whatever was on screen at the time) followed sometimes by geometrical
patterns. When this happens, laptop freezes like the old DOS proggys
and can only be shutoff by turning off the power.

Usually set off by the slightest touch or movement of the laptop.
(Loose connection?)

Took out the keyboard and checked - as best I can - for dust , but it
seems to be a clean machine. I don't know where to look for a loose
connection.

Tried hooking it into another GW monitor, with same thing happening on
both monitors.

Reinstalled all drivers from the GW red disk, then updated them from
the GW web site. Didn't solve the problem. ATI, the writer of the
drivers, is no help.

Any ideas?

And I want to thank you for this group. I have learned more from you
than from the GW site.

Arthur
5 answers Last reply
More about display problems

    My first thought would be a failed fan on the video chipset. If the machine
    has only one fan, is it working? If it has more than one fan are they both
    working?

    <goseespam@lot> wrote in message
    > Hi Group,
    >
    > On my GW laptop 450 X, the display on the monitor is going. Windows XP
    > SP2 with all updates.
    >
    > Words and images blur, followed by vertical stripes (same colors as
    > whatever was on screen at the time) followed sometimes by geometrical
    > patterns. When this happens, laptop freezes like the old DOS proggys
    > and can only be shutoff by turning off the power.
    >
    > Usually set off by the slightest touch or movement of the laptop.
    > (Loose connection?)
    >
    > Took out the keyboard and checked - as best I can - for dust , but it
    > seems to be a clean machine. I don't know where to look for a loose
    > connection.
    >
    > Tried hooking it into another GW monitor, with same thing happening on
    > both monitors.
    >
    > Reinstalled all drivers from the GW red disk, then updated them from
    > the GW web site. Didn't solve the problem. ATI, the writer of the
    > drivers, is no help.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > And I want to thank you for this group. I have learned more from you
    > than from the GW site.
    >
    > Arthur

    Tweek, thanks for the answer.

    Fans are working ok and clean.

    I might be wrong, but I don't think its due to overheating. Sometimes
    it freezes/crashs early in the session (once it crashed in Safe Mode),
    other times after many hours. The common denominator seems to be a
    slight movement of the laptop.

    On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 17:16:36 GMT, "Tweek"
    <shawnwingetNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >My first thought would be a failed fan on the video chipset. If the machine
    >has only one fan, is it working? If it has more than one fan are they both
    >working?
    >

    ><goseespam@lot> wrote in message
    >> Hi Group,
    >>
    >> On my GW laptop 450 X, the display on the monitor is going. Windows XP
    >> SP2 with all updates.
    >>
    >> Words and images blur, followed by vertical stripes (same colors as
    >> whatever was on screen at the time) followed sometimes by geometrical
    >> patterns. When this happens, laptop freezes like the old DOS proggys
    >> and can only be shutoff by turning off the power.
    >>
    >> Usually set off by the slightest touch or movement of the laptop.
    >> (Loose connection?)
    >>
    >> Took out the keyboard and checked - as best I can - for dust , but it
    >> seems to be a clean machine. I don't know where to look for a loose
    >> connection.
    >>
    >> Tried hooking it into another GW monitor, with same thing happening on
    >> both monitors.
    >>
    >> Reinstalled all drivers from the GW red disk, then updated them from
    >> the GW web site. Didn't solve the problem. ATI, the writer of the
    >> drivers, is no help.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> And I want to thank you for this group. I have learned more from you
    >> than from the GW site.
    >>
    >> Arthur

    It is possibly the flex cable that goes from the mainboard to the lcd
    screen. Usually the symptom is the display distortion you described, but
    lockups usually aren't involved. If the cable has become frayed, it may be
    shorting out causing the lockups.

    > Tweek, thanks for the answer.
    >
    > Fans are working ok and clean.
    >
    > I might be wrong, but I don't think its due to overheating. Sometimes
    > it freezes/crashs early in the session (once it crashed in Safe Mode),
    > other times after many hours. The common denominator seems to be a
    > slight movement of the laptop.

    > On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 17:16:36 GMT, "Tweek"
    > <shawnwingetNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>My first thought would be a failed fan on the video chipset. If the
    >>machine
    >>has only one fan, is it working? If it has more than one fan are they both
    >>working?
    >>

    >><goseespam@lot> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Group,
    >>>
    >>> On my GW laptop 450 X, the display on the monitor is going. Windows XP
    >>> SP2 with all updates.
    >>>
    >>> Words and images blur, followed by vertical stripes (same colors as
    >>> whatever was on screen at the time) followed sometimes by geometrical
    >>> patterns. When this happens, laptop freezes like the old DOS proggys
    >>> and can only be shutoff by turning off the power.
    >>>
    >>> Usually set off by the slightest touch or movement of the laptop.
    >>> (Loose connection?)
    >>>
    >>> Took out the keyboard and checked - as best I can - for dust , but it
    >>> seems to be a clean machine. I don't know where to look for a loose
    >>> connection.
    >>>
    >>> Tried hooking it into another GW monitor, with same thing happening on
    >>> both monitors.
    >>>
    >>> Reinstalled all drivers from the GW red disk, then updated them from
    >>> the GW web site. Didn't solve the problem. ATI, the writer of the
    >>> drivers, is no help.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> And I want to thank you for this group. I have learned more from you
    >>> than from the GW site.
    >>>
    >>> Arthur

    If the flex cable is to the left of the on/off button on GW 450
    laptops, and directly under the plastic facing (the one that surrounds
    the on/off and the buttons for email, etc) - then it does seem to be
    frayed, or at least worn down. I had trouble with the on/off for about
    6 months (driver or something which I fixed). But that meant that I
    had to press down unusually hard on that area a dozen times a day for
    about 6 months which would have been enough to wear it down. There is
    a matching area of wear on the underside of the plastic facing
    directly over the flex cable itself.

    Now the question is: what kind of tape should I use to cover the wear
    spot? Or do I need to do something else.

    If this turns out to be the trouble, you deserve the long range
    diagnosis award! Good work.

    On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 21:01:32 GMT, "Tweek"
    <shawnwingetNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >It is possibly the flex cable that goes from the mainboard to the lcd
    >screen. Usually the symptom is the display distortion you described, but
    >lockups usually aren't involved. If the cable has become frayed, it may be
    >shorting out causing the lockups.
    >
    ><goseespam@lot> wrote in message
    >> Tweek, thanks for the answer.
    >>
    >> Fans are working ok and clean.
    >>
    >> I might be wrong, but I don't think its due to overheating. Sometimes
    >> it freezes/crashs early in the session (once it crashed in Safe Mode),
    >> other times after many hours. The common denominator seems to be a
    >> slight movement of the laptop.

    >> On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 17:16:36 GMT, "Tweek"
    >> <shawnwingetNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>My first thought would be a failed fan on the video chipset. If the
    >>>machine
    >>>has only one fan, is it working? If it has more than one fan are they both
    >>>working?
    >>>

    >>><goseespam@lot> wrote in message

    I am not sure where it is actually located on that model. If needed, you can
    get a replacement from www.mundocorp.com . If it is not that cable, it is
    almost certainly something shorting out when you move the machine.

    > If the flex cable is to the left of the on/off button on GW 450
    > laptops, and directly under the plastic facing (the one that surrounds
    > the on/off and the buttons for email, etc) - then it does seem to be
    > frayed, or at least worn down. I had trouble with the on/off for about
    > 6 months (driver or something which I fixed). But that meant that I
    > had to press down unusually hard on that area a dozen times a day for
    > about 6 months which would have been enough to wear it down. There is
    > a matching area of wear on the underside of the plastic facing
    > directly over the flex cable itself.
    >
    > Now the question is: what kind of tape should I use to cover the wear
    > spot? Or do I need to do something else.
    >
    > If this turns out to be the trouble, you deserve the long range
    > diagnosis award! Good work.

    > On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 21:01:32 GMT, "Tweek"
    > <shawnwingetNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>It is possibly the flex cable that goes from the mainboard to the lcd
    >>screen. Usually the symptom is the display distortion you described, but
    >>lockups usually aren't involved. If the cable has become frayed, it may be
    >>shorting out causing the lockups.
    >>
    >><goseespam@lot> wrote in message
    >>> Tweek, thanks for the answer.
    >>>
    >>> Fans are working ok and clean.
    >>>
    >>> I might be wrong, but I don't think its due to overheating. Sometimes
    >>> it freezes/crashs early in the session (once it crashed in Safe Mode),
    >>> other times after many hours. The common denominator seems to be a
    >>> slight movement of the laptop.

Gateway Laptops Computers Displays