mpeg encoding on the GPU ?

Hi there !

Is it possible to make realtime mpeg-4 encoding

on a nvidia Geforce graphic card,

We wan´t to stream gpu´s framebuffer content in mpeg-4 over a ethernet lan.

Is it possible to get such a gpu with a onboard nic for a better performance
?

with compliments

martin

martinaltmeier wrote:
> Hi there !
>
> Is it possible to make realtime mpeg-4 encoding
>
> on a nvidia Geforce graphic card,
>

> We wan´t to stream gpu´s framebuffer content in mpeg-4 over a ethernet lan.
>
> Is it possible to get such a gpu with a onboard nic for a better performance
> ?
>

> with compliments
>
> martin

I don't believe you can encode the framebuffer output with a given
encoder chip on the card at the same time and send its stream
separately. I'm not even sure if the GF6 assisted MP4 is active yet.
Their VPU gets new features every driver set but wasn't active when
first released.

VideoLAN is good for streaming, but complicated to setup.
http://www.videolan.org

On Tue, 31 May 2005 10:45:45 -0500, deimos <duralisisNO@SPAMyahoo.com>
wrote:

>martinaltmeier wrote:
>> Hi there !
>>
>> Is it possible to make realtime mpeg-4 encoding
>>
>> on a nvidia Geforce graphic card,
>>

>> We wan´t to stream gpu´s framebuffer content in mpeg-4 over a ethernet lan.
>>
>> Is it possible to get such a gpu with a onboard nic for a better performance
>> ?
>>

>> with compliments
>>
>> martin
>>

>I don't believe you can encode the framebuffer output with a given
>encoder chip on the card at the same time and send its stream
>separately. I'm not even sure if the GF6 assisted MP4 is active yet.
>Their VPU gets new features every driver set but wasn't active when
>first released.
>
>VideoLAN is good for streaming, but complicated to setup.
>http://www.videolan.org

A dual-core processor in conjunction with some GPU acceleration
should nicely handle the task. Expect to see encoder optimizations for

MPEG-4 and HDV taking advantage of dual-core before having
to crunch the next round of dedicated GPU silicon.

John Lewis