can't connect onto msn sites/messenger

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 17, 2004 8:11:02 PM

I'm running XP home on my notebook and Win98 on my desktop. I am accessing the net via a Linksys 4 port router and DSL.

When I turn on my notebook, at the login screen, it says that "A: duplicate user exists on this network".
When I start up MSN messenger or when I try to access hotmail or any other MSN site that needs my passport.net login and password, it states that the user does not exist or that the password is wrong.

I have tried my msn username and password on my desktop and it works fine. So that's not the problem.

Any ideas?

More about : connect msn sites messenger

April 18, 2004 7:56:55 PM

In article <E0029698-7D9C-4D81-82E3-995F624AC22A@microsoft.com>, "=?Utf-8?B?QWxsYW4=?=" <grandmasterchan@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I'm running XP home on my notebook and Win98 on my desktop. I am accessing the
> net via a Linksys 4 port router and DSL.
>
>When I turn on my notebook, at the login screen, it says that "A: duplicate
> user exists on this network".
>When I start up MSN messenger or when I try to access hotmail or any other MSN
> site that needs my passport.net login and password, it states that the user
> does not exist or that the password is wrong.
>
>I have tried my msn username and password on my desktop and it works fine. So
> that's not the problem.
>
>Any ideas?

Try logging off MSN from the desktop, then log on via the laptop, see if
this solves the problem.
!