ATi Crossfire Preview now up on Anandtech

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

www.anandtech.com

Quick look:-

Driver Support:-

1 Alternate Frame rendering
2. Split Frame rendering
3. Super - AA modes. Quite interesting.

Hardware:-

To enable Crossfire:-

1 Buy appropriate X800/X850 Crossfire Video Card
--- works stand-alone as a 2-output card when not "paired"
with standard card for Crossfire enhancement.

Projected cost:-
X850/256Meg Crossfire $549; X800/256 $299, X800/128 $249

X850 Crossfire only works with X85O flavor standard cards
X800 Crossfire only works with X800 flavors.

No Crossfire support for any other families.

2. Buy ATi X200 motherboard, Crossfire Edition...
( but get one with Uli Southbridge not Ati's buggy one. )

Note:- ATi Crossfire Motherboard chipset supports Intel processors
only - AMD lovers need not apply -- X200 Crossfire
support for Intel dual-core ( er, furnaces ) unknown.

Availability: Fall, probably... don't hold your breath.... Crossfire
motherboards are likely to be in short supply through the end of the
year. Between dual-core and SLI support for both Intel and AMD,, the
MB manufacturers have their design/production hands full -- and they
will always lean towards maximizing volume.

Ati is apparently examining whether their drivers can convince a
nVidia-SLI board to support Crossfire --- seems to be the only way
they could ever get a Crossfire toe-hold in the AMD camp. nVidia
could probably readily change THEIR drivers to support Crossfire but
Hell would have to freeze first.

ATi is also saying that Intel chip-set designs intended to support
SLI ( presumably a variant of the 955X) might be convinced to
support Crossfire. There are certainly some desktop 955X boards
out there with dual X16 PCIe locations, but all that I have seen so
far have solder filling one set of holes instead of a socket. Seems as
if the chip-set is not ready for SLI-prime-time or far more likely,
the Intel/nVidia agreement precludes Intel shipping their own SLI
motherboard solution for a specified time.

John Lewis

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Tue, 31 May 2005 04:45:52 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
wrote:

>www.anandtech.com
>
>Quick look:-
>
>Driver Support:-
>
>1 Alternate Frame rendering
>2. Split Frame rendering
>3. Super - AA modes. Quite interesting.
>
>Hardware:-
>
>To enable Crossfire:-
>
>1 Buy appropriate X800/X850 Crossfire Video Card
> --- works stand-alone as a 2-output card when not "paired"
> with standard card for Crossfire enhancement.
>
> Projected cost:-
> X850/256Meg Crossfire $549; X800/256 $299, X800/128 $249
>
> X850 Crossfire only works with X85O flavor standard cards
> X800 Crossfire only works with X800 flavors.
>
> No Crossfire support for any other families.
>
>2. Buy ATi X200 motherboard, Crossfire Edition...
> ( but get one with Uli Southbridge not Ati's buggy one. )
>
> Note:- ATi Crossfire Motherboard chipset supports Intel processors
> only - AMD lovers need not apply

Many Apologies, Ati Motherboards ( Crossfire edition) will be
available for AMD as well -- Anand only discusses the
Intel ones in his article.......

> -- X200 Crossfire
> support for Intel dual-core ( er, furnaces ) unknown.
>
>Availability: Fall, probably... don't hold your breath.... Crossfire
>motherboards are likely to be in short supply through the end of the
>year. Between dual-core and SLI support for both Intel and AMD,, the
>MB manufacturers have their design/production hands full -- and they
>will always lean towards maximizing volume.
>
>Ati is apparently examining whether their drivers can convince a
>nVidia-SLI board to support Crossfire --- seems to be the only way
>they could ever get a Crossfire toe-hold in the AMD camp. nVidia
>could probably readily change THEIR drivers to support Crossfire but
>Hell would have to freeze first.
>
>ATi is also saying that Intel chip-set designs intended to support
>SLI ( presumably a variant of the 955X) might be convinced to
>support Crossfire. There are certainly some desktop 955X boards
>out there with dual X16 PCIe locations, but all that I have seen so
>far have solder filling one set of holes instead of a socket. Seems as
>if the chip-set is not ready for SLI-prime-time or far more likely,
>the Intel/nVidia agreement precludes Intel shipping their own SLI
>motherboard solution for a specified time.
>
>John Lewis

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

John Lewis wrote:
<snip a load of offtopic>

What exactly does this have to do with nvidia based cards ?

> www.anandtech.com
>
> Quick look:-
>
> Driver Support:-
>
> 1 Alternate Frame rendering
> 2. Split Frame rendering
> 3. Super - AA modes. Quite interesting.

<snip>

The X800 solution might be affordable to some of us mere mortals, but I
highly doubt the X850 will! Not only that, but it was my understanding that
the R520 will be out in the fall. It's good to see ATI counter nVidia like
this, but I think the X800 and X850 Crossfires will be an unattractive
purchase by the time consumers can get their hands on it. Not only that,
but supply is a big issue too. As for me, I will want my next video card to
have Pixel Shader 3.0 support as I'm sure is the same for a lot of other
users in here. Anyway, I had no plans to change video cards until next year
regardless of developments like this. My 9800 Pro is doing just fine for
what I want now and in the foreseeable future.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Tue, 31 May 2005 17:47:55 +0200, "Sune Storgaard"
<nospam@strueradsl.dk> wrote:

>John Lewis wrote:
><snip a load of offtopic>
>
>What exactly does this have to do with nvidia based cards ?

It was posted by me to both newsgroups. No turf wars intended.

John Lewis

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=679

> www.anandtech.com
>
> Quick look:-

TRENDING THREADS