Decent card

I'm currently building a AMD (sock 939) system and thinking about a PCI-E
motherboard. I'm not a big gammer. Maybe play a game every now and then
(Flight Sim, etc). I'm in need of a PCI-E card, but I cannot afford the high
end card nor do I think I need one. Can anyone recommend a decent card for
less than $100.00? OR would I just be beteer off to use a motherboard with
AGP and use my currnt card (Ti-4200)?

Thanks

wookie

Nvidia 6200 cards sound like it's want you might want. under 100$ and is
good for most things. Can be unlocked and overclocked too.

"Kevin Haas" <khaas22no@bellspouth.net> wrote in message
> I'm currently building a AMD (sock 939) system and thinking about a PCI-E
> motherboard. I'm not a big gammer. Maybe play a game every now and then
> (Flight Sim, etc). I'm in need of a PCI-E card, but I cannot afford the
> high end card nor do I think I need one. Can anyone recommend a decent
> card for less than $100.00? OR would I just be beteer off to use a
> motherboard with AGP and use my currnt card (Ti-4200)?
>
> Thanks

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 22:02:36 -0400, "Kevin Haas"
<khaas22no@bellspouth.net> wrote:

>I'm currently building a AMD (sock 939) system and thinking about a PCI-E
>motherboard. I'm not a big gammer. Maybe play a game every now and then
>(Flight Sim, etc). I'm in need of a PCI-E card, but I cannot afford the high
>end card nor do I think I need one. Can anyone recommend a decent card for
>less than $100.00? OR would I just be beteer off to use a motherboard with
>AGP and use my currnt card (Ti-4200)?
>
>Thanks

An Nvidia 6200 would be as good, or better speed wise, and
you'd have DX 9 feature support. Just make sure it's a 128bit memory
bus, and is not the Turbo Cache version. The 64bit, and Turbo Cache
cards aren't as good as a GF4 Ti card.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

"Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 22:02:36 -0400, "Kevin Haas"
> <khaas22no@bellspouth.net> wrote:
>
>>I'm currently building a AMD (sock 939) system and thinking about a PCI-E
>>motherboard. I'm not a big gammer. Maybe play a game every now and then
>>(Flight Sim, etc). I'm in need of a PCI-E card, but I cannot afford the
>>high
>>end card nor do I think I need one. Can anyone recommend a decent card for
>>less than $100.00? OR would I just be beteer off to use a motherboard with
>>AGP and use my currnt card (Ti-4200)?
>>
>>Thanks
>>

> An Nvidia 6200 would be as good, or better speed wise, and
> you'd have DX 9 feature support. Just make sure it's a 128bit memory
> bus, and is not the Turbo Cache version. The 64bit, and Turbo Cache
> cards aren't as good as a GF4 Ti card.

I've seen X700 pro cards in the $120 range. If you can afford $20 bucks
more, these are much better than a 6200.

DaveL

You may want to consider the fact that ALMOST ALL motherboards come with
EITHER a PCI-Express slot OR an AGP slot for the video card, but NOT BOTH.
So you really do not have a choice as to which format of video card you buy.

--
DaveW

DaveL <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote:
> "Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 22:02:36 -0400, "Kevin Haas"
>> <khaas22no@bellspouth.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm currently building a AMD (sock 939) system and thinking about a
>>> PCI-E motherboard. I'm not a big gammer. Maybe play a game every
>>> now and then (Flight Sim, etc). I'm in need of a PCI-E card, but I
>>> cannot afford the high
>>> end card nor do I think I need one. Can anyone recommend a decent
>>> card for less than $100.00? OR would I just be beteer off to use a
>>> motherboard with AGP and use my currnt card (Ti-4200)?
>>
>> An Nvidia 6200 would be as good, or better speed wise, and
>> you'd have DX 9 feature support. Just make sure it's a 128bit memory
>> bus, and is not the Turbo Cache version. The 64bit, and Turbo Cache
>> cards aren't as good as a GF4 Ti card.
>
> I've seen X700 pro cards in the $120 range. If you can afford $20
> bucks more, these are much better than a 6200.

The X700 pro may be *faster*, but faster doesn't necessarily mean
*better*.
He says he might want to run flight simulators. The nVidia cards have
an edge there, with better multi-monitor support.

Regards,
--
*Art

Thanks everyone. Any particular brand?
"Kevin Haas" <khaas22no@bellspouth.net> wrote in message
> I'm currently building a AMD (sock 939) system and thinking about a PCI-E
> motherboard. I'm not a big gammer. Maybe play a game every now and then
> (Flight Sim, etc). I'm in need of a PCI-E card, but I cannot afford the
> high end card nor do I think I need one. Can anyone recommend a decent
> card for less than $100.00? OR would I just be beteer off to use a
> motherboard with AGP and use my currnt card (Ti-4200)?
>
> Thanks

This is true; however there are some out there that will support both.
Please see following article from anandtech:

http://anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2434&p=16

> You may want to consider the fact that ALMOST ALL motherboards come with
> EITHER a PCI-Express slot OR an AGP slot for the video card, but NOT BOTH.
> So you really do not have a choice as to which format of video card you
> buy.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "Kevin Haas" <khaas22no@bellspouth.net> wrote in message
>> I'm currently building a AMD (sock 939) system and thinking about a PCI-E
>> motherboard. I'm not a big gammer. Maybe play a game every now and then
>> (Flight Sim, etc). I'm in need of a PCI-E card, but I cannot afford the
>> high end card nor do I think I need one. Can anyone recommend a decent
>> card for less than $100.00? OR would I just be beteer off to use a
>> motherboard with AGP and use my currnt card (Ti-4200)?
>>
>> Thanks

Right, I'm in the process of buying a motherboard and wondered if I would be
better off getting one that used PCI-E instead of AGP.
> You may want to consider the fact that ALMOST ALL motherboards come with
> EITHER a PCI-Express slot OR an AGP slot for the video card, but NOT BOTH.
> So you really do not have a choice as to which format of video card you
> buy.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "Kevin Haas" <khaas22no@bellspouth.net> wrote in message
>> I'm currently building a AMD (sock 939) system and thinking about a PCI-E
>> motherboard. I'm not a big gammer. Maybe play a game every now and then
>> (Flight Sim, etc). I'm in need of a PCI-E card, but I cannot afford the
>> high end card nor do I think I need one. Can anyone recommend a decent
>> card for less than $100.00? OR would I just be beteer off to use a
>> motherboard with AGP and use my currnt card (Ti-4200)?
>>
>> Thanks

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

I don't think the X600 pro is as good as the 6200/128 bit. Then when you
unlock the other 4 pipes, the 6200 really beats it.

DaveL

> Right, I'm in the process of buying a motherboard and wondered if I would
be
> better off getting one that used PCI-E instead of AGP.

Personally, if I was about to go and buy a new motherboard, I'd get PCI-E.

But ultimately, it's up to you and your preferences for your vid card.

More and more cards are being built via PCI-E, but IMHO, I don't think we'll
see the end of AGP for a while yet.

I think from memory the only really exclusively PCI-E cards are those for
high-end SLI or MVP or for top-o-the-range cards. That may have changed
recently.

It's early days yet for PCI-E...lots of promises but not too much excitement
just yet.

The main reason to stick with an AGP is, of course, you can only get the vid
card you want in AGP. If you can wait, nVidia and ATI reveal their cards
soon, so you'll also get a better idea of what the new models are offering.

http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/index.html

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/index.html

HTH.