EA Sports Choppy Video with GE Force FX5200

OK, this is a weird problem. I have two nearly identical Dell 4550
Dimension computers (Pentium 4's). One has 768 MB Ram with a GE Force 4
MX420 (64 MB of memory) with Dell flat panel screen; the other has 512
MB Ram with GE Force FX5200 (128 MB of memory) and CRT monitor.

When I run EA Sports NHL Hockey 2003 on the machine with the smaller
memory GE Force 4 MX420 the game runs wonderfully. When I run it on the
machine with the FX5200 the skating action is choppy--the players will
stop skating for split seconds and then resume. It's quite annoying.

EA Sports suggests turning down the "player detail" to cure the choppy
video. Tried it, doesn't help.

How is it that a video card with twice the onboard memory as another
has trouble with jerky video?

> Dan Sgambelluri wrote:

> updated video drivers and updated directx?

Not yet. The computer with the FX5200 was bought in Feb '04; the game
I'm playing was made in 2002 and my system far exceeds the "system
requirements" listed for the game, so I don't it is the video driver,
but will try updating it if all else fails.

As far as directX goes, I've installed SP2 on both machines and run
Windows Update frequently, so I think I have the latest. Again, the
game is much older than the computer, and probably came with an earlier
version of directX than my computer, so it should work.

I did run DXDIAG and when I tried the Test Direct Draw on the Display
page two of the tests are supposed to show a white box bouncing on a
black background. When performing this test the white box went from
rapid up and down movement to a slow bounce then back to rapidly
bouncing, indicating to me that it was showing symptoms of this choppy,
jerky movement during this test.

I ran the game in 640X480 resolution with minimal on screen detailing
and I still got the jerky motions.

Funny, but I can't even see, much less access the FX5200 Properties
page from Control Panel>Display>Settings>Advanced>?? so I can't fiddle
with antialias or other settings.

I'm going to open the computer up and clean out any dust to eliminate
heat as a possible cause.

> [...]

I did run DXDIAG and when I tried the Test Direct Draw on the Display
page two of the tests are supposed to show a white box bouncing on a
black background. When performing this test the white box went from
rapid up and down movement to a slow bounce then back to rapidly
bouncing, indicating to me that it was showing symptoms of this choppy,
jerky movement during this test.

I ran the game in 640X480 resolution with minimal on screen detailing
and I still got the jerky motions.

Funny, but I can't even see, much less access the FX5200 Properties
page from Control Panel>Display>Settings>Advanced>?? so I can't fiddle
with antialias or other settings.

I'm going to open the computer up and clean out any dust to eliminate
heat as a possible cause.

> Dan Sgambelluri wrote:

> updated video drivers and updated directx?

Not yet. The game was made two years before I bought my computer, so I
doubt if it is the driver. My computer far exceeds the System
Requirements of this game. Also, EA Sports specifically says their
games are supported by nvidia graphics cards.

I tried running DXDIAG and performed the DirectDraw test. On Two of the
tests you are supposed to see a white box bouncing on a black
background. While running these tests the white box goes from rapidly
bouncing up and down to a slow bounce, then speeds up again. So it
looks like I'm seeing the same choppy, jerky symptoms when I run
DXDIAG.

I'm going to open the case and clean out any dust in the hopes that it
is overheated and slowing down. If that doesn't work I will probably
try updating the driver.

Funny, but I can't access the FX5200 Properties Page by clicking on

Start> Control Panel> Display> Settings> Advanced> ?? And there is no
tab for FX5200 so I can't fiddle with antialiasing or other settings.

> CeeBee wrote:

> I don't think more memory gives you faster 3D performance, maybe
> only more FPS at _higher_ resolutions.
> The FX5200 seems even more "budget" than the old MX line: the MX
> model outperforms the FX5200 in many respects. I think only Dx9
> support must have been the only sales pitch.
>
> Furthermore system memory and display speed is also important for
> overall performance.
> And maybe the FX5200 is the 64bit version, instead of the 128bit,
> making it quite worthless for serious 3D.

First off, let me apologize for the multiple posts. I'm posting via
Google and it was screwed up.

My FX5200 is the 128 bit version. I think I will install the latest
drivers as another poster suggested. Thanks, all.

> Loz H wrote:

> Download and install the latest set from Nvidia, I`m sure that`ll cure it
> all.

I downloaded the latest drivers from nvidia's website and I have the
same problem with jerky, choppy video. Also cleaned out the dust inside
the case. I now have access to the FX5200 control panel so could adjust
antialias and other settings. Any other suggestions?

powrwrap wrote:
> OK, this is a weird problem. I have two nearly identical Dell 4550
> Dimension computers (Pentium 4's). One has 768 MB Ram with a GE Force 4
> MX420 (64 MB of memory) with Dell flat panel screen; the other has 512
> MB Ram with GE Force FX5200 (128 MB of memory) and CRT monitor.
>
> When I run EA Sports NHL Hockey 2003 on the machine with the smaller
> memory GE Force 4 MX420 the game runs wonderfully. When I run it on the
> machine with the FX5200 the skating action is choppy--the players will
> stop skating for split seconds and then resume. It's quite annoying.
>
> EA Sports suggests turning down the "player detail" to cure the choppy
> video. Tried it, doesn't help.
>
> How is it that a video card with twice the onboard memory as another
> has trouble with jerky video?

updated video drivers and updated directx?

ceebee

"powrwrap" <powrwrap@aol.com> wrote in
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia:

--
CeeBee

***The cookie has spoken***

powrwrap wrote:

>>Dan Sgambelluri wrote:
>

>>updated video drivers and updated directx?
>

> Not yet. The computer with the FX5200 was bought in Feb '04; the game
> I'm playing was made in 2002 and my system far exceeds the "system
> requirements" listed for the game, so I don't it is the video driver,
> but will try updating it if all else fails.
>
> As far as directX goes, I've installed SP2 on both machines and run
> Windows Update frequently, so I think I have the latest. Again, the
> game is much older than the computer, and probably came with an earlier
> version of directX than my computer, so it should work.
>
> I did run DXDIAG and when I tried the Test Direct Draw on the Display
> page two of the tests are supposed to show a white box bouncing on a
> black background. When performing this test the white box went from
> rapid up and down movement to a slow bounce then back to rapidly
> bouncing, indicating to me that it was showing symptoms of this choppy,
> jerky movement during this test.
>
> I ran the game in 640X480 resolution with minimal on screen detailing
> and I still got the jerky motions.
>
> Funny, but I can't even see, much less access the FX5200 Properties
> page from Control Panel>Display>Settings>Advanced>?? so I can't fiddle
> with antialias or other settings.
>
> I'm going to open the computer up and clean out any dust to eliminate
> heat as a possible cause.

get updated video drivers and update directx. Just because the game is
older than the computer does not mean that the older drivers will work.

"powrwrap" <powrwrap@aol.com> wrote in message

>> Dan Sgambelluri wrote:
>
>> updated video drivers and updated directx?
>
> Not yet. The computer with the FX5200 was bought in Feb '04; the game
> I'm playing was made in 2002 and my system far exceeds the "system
> requirements" listed for the game, so I don't it is the video driver,
> but will try updating it if all else fails.
>
> As far as directX goes, I've installed SP2 on both machines and run
> Windows Update frequently, so I think I have the latest. Again, the
> game is much older than the computer, and probably came with an earlier
> version of directX than my computer, so it should work.
>
> I did run DXDIAG and when I tried the Test Direct Draw on the Display
> page two of the tests are supposed to show a white box bouncing on a
> black background. When performing this test the white box went from
> rapid up and down movement to a slow bounce then back to rapidly
> bouncing, indicating to me that it was showing symptoms of this choppy,
> jerky movement during this test.

Sounds like the cpu is being used for another task besides drawing 3d
images... i mean, this Direct draw testing shouldn't be any problem for your
card, even my voodoo3 2000 pci was able to do that... :/ check for any
spyware/virus (virusscanner?) which is using your cpu power....

powrwrap <powrwrap@aol.com> spewed forth the following...

> Funny, but I can't even see, much less access the FX5200 Properties
> page from Control Panel>Display>Settings>Advanced>?? so I can't fiddle
> with antialias or other settings.

If you`re not getting access to the advanced settings, it sounds like it`s
using a default Microsoft driver instead of the Nvidia one. This will also
impact performance as it is only a "compatible" driver, designed to give you
a working screen rather that play games.

Download and install the latest set from Nvidia, I`m sure that`ll cure it
all.

HTH

Loz H

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

I would interested to see if you can find a solution to this - I have a
faster video card - an FX5950 - but I too get choppy video in games -
particularly EA games like NFSU2.
The games themselves, however, run perfectly. Actual video like DVD's, XviD,
and DivX also work perfectly - so I am puzzled why low-res videos in games
do not.
I do have latest drivers for everything...
Graham

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

Just looked at the movie files in the EA folder, and they are .VP6 files -
no idea what this format is or what video codec it uses - anyone know?

On 4 Jun 2005 19:38:05 GMT, CeeBee <ceebeechester@start.com.au> wrote:

>I don't think more memory gives you faster 3D performance, maybe
>only more FPS at _higher_ resolutions.
>The FX5200 seems even more "budget" than the old MX line: the MX
>model outperforms the FX5200 in many respects. I think only Dx9
>support must have been the only sales pitch.
>
>Furthermore system memory and display speed is also important for
>overall performance.
>And maybe the FX5200 is the 64bit version, instead of the 128bit,
>making it quite worthless for serious 3D.

I wouldn't exactly call it 'worthless'...

I have the 5200 and I play TFC and HL2 regularly. Admittedly, I run
HL2 in 800x600 mode, but TFC is smoking along at 1280x1024 with
absolutely no problems!

I am very pleased with this card, at least for the time being! :)

ceebee

Loryman <loryman@REMOVE.yahoo.com> wrote in
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia:

> I wouldn't exactly call it 'worthless'...

That's why I said "_quite_ worthless for serious 3D (gaming)" ;)

> I have the 5200 and I play TFC and HL2 regularly. Admittedly, I
> run HL2 in 800x600 mode, but TFC is smoking along at 1280x1024
> with absolutely no problems!
>
> I am very pleased with this card, at least for the time being!
> :)

Me too, but I don't think the 5200 as a low end budget card is
developed with the 3D gamer in the back of their mind. Your
experiences with Halflife on 800x600 show that clearly.

I'm not much into 3D gaming, and an occasional race program or a
version of Tomb Raider is all I can handle at my age before hanging
over the toilet after 15 minutes or so, but I can't get any higher
with TR as 1024x768, maximum. For most _serious_ 3D gamers this is
absolutely subpar.

What's more wonderful however is that the old MX seems to be faster
in every benchmark than the FX5200. I can't remember prices for the
MX, maybe it was more expensive than the FX5200. For the OP it might
mean he simply experiences his MX outperforming his FX5200.

But I think we agree that FX5200 is good bang for the buck if you
want an allround card in an allround - not a specific gaming -
system.

--
CeeBee

***The cookie has spoken***

Brett wrote:
> I'm thinking ,and will probably be very very wrong , but perhaps the Geforce
> 5200 is running the game with directx9 effects enabled (or maybe even
> directx8?) , whilst the geforce 4mx is running in directx7 mode. You
> probably cant tell much diffence in graphical quality , but they are pulling
> down the performance of the newer card. I think a 5200 should beat a mx420
> in pretty much any benchmark , but not by that much , so the extra work the
> 5200 is doing is killing it.
>
> Other than that , Id go the basic stuff , check AA isnt turned on for the
> 5200 card.

What is AA? And how do I check if it is enabled?

> Brett wrote:
>> I'm thinking ,and will probably be very very wrong , but perhaps the
>> Geforce
>> 5200 is running the game with directx9 effects enabled (or maybe even
>> directx8?) , whilst the geforce 4mx is running in directx7 mode. You
>> probably cant tell much diffence in graphical quality , but they are
>> pulling
>> down the performance of the newer card. I think a 5200 should beat a
>> mx420
>> in pretty much any benchmark , but not by that much , so the extra work
>> the
>> 5200 is doing is killing it.
>>
>> Other than that , Id go the basic stuff , check AA isnt turned on for the
>> 5200 card.
>

> What is AA? And how do I check if it is enabled?

Anti-aliasing.

If you go in your Display properties, in the advanced area, you should be
able to find an option for anti-aliasing. There should be an option to
disable it, set it to application preference, or have it always on. With
the 5200 I'd set it to always be disabled. The 5200 really doesn't have the
grunt to have it enabled.

RF.

I'm thinking ,and will probably be very very wrong , but perhaps the Geforce
5200 is running the game with directx9 effects enabled (or maybe even
directx8?) , whilst the geforce 4mx is running in directx7 mode. You
probably cant tell much diffence in graphical quality , but they are pulling
down the performance of the newer card. I think a 5200 should beat a mx420
in pretty much any benchmark , but not by that much , so the extra work the
5200 is doing is killing it.

I'd be surprised if the game is using anything like 64meg of memory , if
you have a look around on the net you'll find in a lot of cases the amount
of ram on the card has very very little to do with how quick the card is.

Other than that , Id go the basic stuff , check AA isnt turned on for the
5200 card.

Good luck
B.

> > RaceFace wrote:

> > Anti-aliasing.
> >
> > If you go in your Display properties, in the advanced area, you should be
> > able to find an option for anti-aliasing. There should be an option to
> > disable it, set it to application preference, or have it always on. With
> > the 5200 I'd set it to always be disabled. The 5200 really doesn't have the
> > grunt to have it enabled.

OK, I set anti-aliasing to disabled and I have the same symptoms.
Arrrgghhh! I can't believe the MX420 can handle this game and the
FX5200 can't!

On 10 Jun 2005 07:19:17 -0700, "powrwrap" <powrwrap@aol.com> wrote:

>> > RaceFace wrote:
>

>> > Anti-aliasing.
>> >
>> > If you go in your Display properties, in the advanced area, you should be
>> > able to find an option for anti-aliasing. There should be an option to
>> > disable it, set it to application preference, or have it always on. With
>> > the 5200 I'd set it to always be disabled. The 5200 really doesn't have the
>> > grunt to have it enabled.
>

>OK, I set anti-aliasing to disabled and I have the same symptoms.
>Arrrgghhh! I can't believe the MX420 can handle this game and the
>FX5200 can't!

Something just occurred to me; under what setting (in the game itself)
is the video rendering? I keep the games I play set to 'open gl'
rather than software or D3D. I'm not familiar with your game but if
you have the option within the game's properties to choose the video
rendering you may want to experiment there.

On 4 Jun 2005 10:41:43 -0700, "powrwrap" <powrwrap@aol.com> wrote:

>How is it that a video card with twice the onboard memory as another
>has trouble with jerky video?
>
>Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I had major problems with DVD playback on my machine. I finally traced it to
Microsoft Netmeeting. Only after a uninstall - search google to find out how -
was I able to get my system back to peak performance.

---
The Bill of Rights - Void where prohibited by Law.

> Loryman wrote:
> Something just occurred to me; under what setting (in the game itself)
> is the video rendering? I keep the games I play set to 'open gl'
> rather than software or D3D. I'm not familiar with your game but if
> you have the option within the game's properties to choose the video
> rendering you may want to experiment there.

Yes, I've seen that video rendering option in other games I have. I'll
check it out but I don't think NHL Hockey has it, if it does I haven't
seen it (and I've been all over that game's menu). Thanks for the tip.

> Mike Huskey wrote:

> I had major problems with DVD playback on my machine. I finally traced it to
> Microsoft Netmeeting. Only after a uninstall - search google to find out how -
> was I able to get my system back to peak performance.

I doubt this affects my situation but removing unwanted Windows stuff
is something I enjoy.