Memory Upgrade on GP-6 266 Gateway

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I added 64 mb to the original 64 mb but I don't think the system is
recognizing my new memory. Properties in new computer is still showing
only 64 mg. On a reboot I notice a 32 mb memory on opening boot screen.
From what I've read the system should automatically update the new
memory upgrade. I went into CMOS and find memory is not an edited
field. What can I do to get the system to recognize my additional 64 mg
of memory?

More detail follows:

Original RAM in Gateway - 64MB 64Bit 4-clock CL=2 SDRAM Unbuffered Dimm

Obtained my memory card for upgrade from PowerSpec4630 PC-Memory -
system specs - 64MB SDRAM memory, expandable to 256MB
3.3 Volts, 168 pin SDRAM DIMMS 10nS
(2) 64-bit DIMM sockets, 1 free
DIMM size: 64MB

1. Initially had original Gateway 64mb in original Dimm 0. Added
PowerSpec 64 mb. to Dimm 1. I get no error messages, no post code
sounds and a normal boot. My wife believes there is improved system
performance but I am not sure. As mentioned above System Properties at
bottom still shows only 64 mb.

2. Most of specs of two cards look compatible. Just in case I am wrong
I take out original memory card and install Powerspec 64 mb. memory card
in Dimm 0 by itself. No errors and system boots fine and performs fine
but slow as originally.

3. Now with confidence in the Powerspec card being compatible I add the
original Gateway card in Dimm 0. This is reverse order from what I
tried in #1 above. No error messages. System properties again shows I
have only 64 mb. at bottom. On restart I again see 32 mb. memory.
System performs well but still in doubt I have higher performance with
128 mb.

What's the BIOS string (ends in **** (DT0T, etc) or begins with 4A4L...
or 0AAES?

dave wrote:
> I added 64 mb to the original 64 mb but I don't think the system is
> recognizing my new memory. Properties in new computer is still showing
> only 64 mg. On a reboot I notice a 32 mb memory on opening boot screen.
> From what I've read the system should automatically update the new
> memory upgrade. I went into CMOS and find memory is not an edited
> field. What can I do to get the system to recognize my additional 64 mg
> of memory?
>
> More detail follows:
>
> Original RAM in Gateway - 64MB 64Bit 4-clock CL=2 SDRAM Unbuffered Dimm
>
> Obtained my memory card for upgrade from PowerSpec4630 PC-Memory -
> system specs - 64MB SDRAM memory, expandable to 256MB
> 3.3 Volts, 168 pin SDRAM DIMMS 10nS
> (2) 64-bit DIMM sockets, 1 free
> DIMM size: 64MB
>
> 1. Initially had original Gateway 64mb in original Dimm 0. Added
> PowerSpec 64 mb. to Dimm 1. I get no error messages, no post code
> sounds and a normal boot. My wife believes there is improved system
> performance but I am not sure. As mentioned above System Properties at
> bottom still shows only 64 mb.
>
> 2. Most of specs of two cards look compatible. Just in case I am wrong
> I take out original memory card and install Powerspec 64 mb. memory card
> in Dimm 0 by itself. No errors and system boots fine and performs fine
> but slow as originally.
>
> 3. Now with confidence in the Powerspec card being compatible I add the
> original Gateway card in Dimm 0. This is reverse order from what I
> tried in #1 above. No error messages. System properties again shows I
> have only 64 mb. at bottom. On restart I again see 32 mb. memory.
> System performs well but still in doubt I have higher performance with
> 128 mb.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

BIOS 4A4LL0X0.15A.0022.P18

Edward,
Is that the Bios String?
Thanks,
Dave

Edward J. Neth wrote:
> What's the BIOS string (ends in **** (DT0T, etc) or begins with 4A4L...
> or 0AAES?
>

> dave wrote:
>
>> I added 64 mb to the original 64 mb but I don't think the system is
>> recognizing my new memory. Properties in new computer is still
>> showing only 64 mg. On a reboot I notice a 32 mb memory on opening
>> boot screen. From what I've read the system should automatically
>> update the new memory upgrade. I went into CMOS and find memory is
>> not an edited field. What can I do to get the system to recognize my
>> additional 64 mg of memory?
>>
>> More detail follows:
>>
>> Original RAM in Gateway - 64MB 64Bit 4-clock CL=2 SDRAM Unbuffered Dimm
>>
>> Obtained my memory card for upgrade from PowerSpec4630 PC-Memory -
>> system specs - 64MB SDRAM memory, expandable to 256MB
>> 3.3 Volts, 168 pin SDRAM DIMMS 10nS
>> (2) 64-bit DIMM sockets, 1 free
>> DIMM size: 64MB
>>
>> 1. Initially had original Gateway 64mb in original Dimm 0. Added
>> PowerSpec 64 mb. to Dimm 1. I get no error messages, no post code
>> sounds and a normal boot. My wife believes there is improved system
>> performance but I am not sure. As mentioned above System Properties
>> at bottom still shows only 64 mb.
>>
>> 2. Most of specs of two cards look compatible. Just in case I am
>> wrong I take out original memory card and install Powerspec 64 mb.
>> memory card in Dimm 0 by itself. No errors and system boots fine and
>> performs fine but slow as originally.
>>
>> 3. Now with confidence in the Powerspec card being compatible I add
>> the original Gateway card in Dimm 0. This is reverse order from what
>> I tried in #1 above. No error messages. System properties again
>> shows I have only 64 mb. at bottom. On restart I again see 32 mb.
>> memory. System performs well but still in doubt I have higher
>> performance with 128 mb.

That's an Intel-made board with 440LX chipset, so it was designed to use PC66
memory. Some PC100 memory will work, and probably most PC133 will not. For
sure, the memory chips need to be low density (more chips per DIMM).

My guess is that the memory is somehow incompatible with the motherboard, which
ignores it... Ben Myers

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 03:31:44 GMT, dave <luck53@insightbb.com> wrote:

>BIOS 4A4LL0X0.15A.0022.P18
>
>Edward,
>Is that the Bios String?
>Thanks,
>Dave
>
>Edward J. Neth wrote:
>> What's the BIOS string (ends in **** (DT0T, etc) or begins with 4A4L...
>> or 0AAES?
>>

>> dave wrote:
>>
>>> I added 64 mb to the original 64 mb but I don't think the system is
>>> recognizing my new memory. Properties in new computer is still
>>> showing only 64 mg. On a reboot I notice a 32 mb memory on opening
>>> boot screen. From what I've read the system should automatically
>>> update the new memory upgrade. I went into CMOS and find memory is
>>> not an edited field. What can I do to get the system to recognize my
>>> additional 64 mg of memory?
>>>
>>> More detail follows:
>>>
>>> Original RAM in Gateway - 64MB 64Bit 4-clock CL=2 SDRAM Unbuffered Dimm
>>>
>>> Obtained my memory card for upgrade from PowerSpec4630 PC-Memory -
>>> system specs - 64MB SDRAM memory, expandable to 256MB
>>> 3.3 Volts, 168 pin SDRAM DIMMS 10nS
>>> (2) 64-bit DIMM sockets, 1 free
>>> DIMM size: 64MB
>>>
>>> 1. Initially had original Gateway 64mb in original Dimm 0. Added
>>> PowerSpec 64 mb. to Dimm 1. I get no error messages, no post code
>>> sounds and a normal boot. My wife believes there is improved system
>>> performance but I am not sure. As mentioned above System Properties
>>> at bottom still shows only 64 mb.
>>>
>>> 2. Most of specs of two cards look compatible. Just in case I am
>>> wrong I take out original memory card and install Powerspec 64 mb.
>>> memory card in Dimm 0 by itself. No errors and system boots fine and
>>> performs fine but slow as originally.
>>>
>>> 3. Now with confidence in the Powerspec card being compatible I add
>>> the original Gateway card in Dimm 0. This is reverse order from what
>>> I tried in #1 above. No error messages. System properties again
>>> shows I have only 64 mb. at bottom. On restart I again see 32 mb.
>>> memory. System performs well but still in doubt I have higher
>>> performance with 128 mb.

smith

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003

> 2. Most of specs of two cards look compatible. Just in case I am wrong I
> take out original memory card and install Powerspec 64 mb. memory card in
> Dimm 0 by itself. No errors and system boots fine and performs fine but
> slow as originally.

Okay so, the new stick alone works okay in Dimm Slot 0 (shows up in Control
Panel-System Properties *and* Bios as "64mb")? And when you had the
original Gateway stick alone in Dimm 0 is also shows up in Control
Panel-System Properties *and* Bios as "64mb"? Just checking to be clear.

> 3. Now with confidence in the Powerspec card being compatible I add the
> original Gateway card in Dimm 0. This is reverse order from what I tried
> in #1 above. No error messages. System properties again shows I have only
> 64 mb. at bottom.

I assume you meant to say you left the new stick in Dimm 0 and added the old
Gateway stick in Dimm 1, so both in at the same time again? And in Control
Panel-System Properties and Bios it still only says 64mb? If that's the
case maybe Dimm Slot 1 is bad...

> On restart I again see 32 mb. memory.

If that is the very first thing you see on your screen, top left when you
turn it on, that's your video card being read, not your ram sticks.