Tyan Tiger MPX (S2466) video card compatiblity

I have a Tyan Tiger MPX (S2466) and cannot seem to get any new video
cards to work. So far I have tried the Geforce 6200 AGP 256, and the
Geforce FX 5500 256 PCI. Every time I put the card in the machine I
get the beep code saying there is a issue with the video card. I have
512 Mb of RAM, and 2 Athlon MP 2000+. The card I am currently using is
an ATI Rage 128 AGP 4X 32 Mb card. I really would like to have a 256
Mb card in the machine so if anyone could help me or give me any
suggestions I would appreciate it.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Nvidia-Tyan-Tiger-MPX-S2466-video-card-compatiblity-ftopict56825.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=285726

"HairyHenderson" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
> I have a Tyan Tiger MPX (S2466) and cannot seem to get any new video
> cards to work. So far I have tried the Geforce 6200 AGP 256, and the
> Geforce FX 5500 256 PCI. Every time I put the card in the machine I
> get the beep code saying there is a issue with the video card. I have
> 512 Mb of RAM, and 2 Athlon MP 2000+. The card I am currently using is
> an ATI Rage 128 AGP 4X 32 Mb card. I really would like to have a 256
> Mb card in the machine so if anyone could help me or give me any
> suggestions I would appreciate it.
>
> --

Is there an extra 4 pin power connector on the new card?

"dawg" wrote:
> "HairyHenderson" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in
> message
> > I have a Tyan Tiger MPX (S2466) and cannot seem to get any
> new video
> > cards to work. So far I have tried the Geforce 6200 AGP 256,
> and the
> > Geforce FX 5500 256 PCI. Every time I put the card in the
> machine I
> > get the beep code saying there is a issue with the video
> card. I have
> > 512 Mb of RAM, and 2 Athlon MP 2000+. The card I am
> currently using is
> > an ATI Rage 128 AGP 4X 32 Mb card. I really would like to
> have a 256
> > Mb card in the machine so if anyone could help me or give me
> any
> > suggestions I would appreciate it.
> >
> > --
>
> Is there an extra 4 pin power connector on the new card?

No I don’t think so, I’m actually pretty sure there isn’t.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Nvidia-Tyan-Tiger-MPX-S2466-video-card-compatiblity-ftopict56825.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=286891

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 19:29:52 GMT, "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

>"HairyHenderson" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
>> I have a Tyan Tiger MPX (S2466) and cannot seem to get any new video
>> cards to work. So far I have tried the Geforce 6200 AGP 256, and the
>> Geforce FX 5500 256 PCI. Every time I put the card in the machine I
>> get the beep code saying there is a issue with the video card. I have
>> 512 Mb of RAM, and 2 Athlon MP 2000+. The card I am currently using is
>> an ATI Rage 128 AGP 4X 32 Mb card. I really would like to have a 256
>> Mb card in the machine so if anyone could help me or give me any
>> suggestions I would appreciate it.
>>
>> --
>
>Is there an extra 4 pin power connector on the new card?

this definitely appears to be a power issue, ie not enough.
remove 1 of the cpus, if it boots you need a bigger psu, if not then
the board cannot supply enough power via the agp bus alone.
fwiw, i found that a ti4200 128 was about the most power hungry card
[without additional power supply] i could run stable on my s2460.

dr ratt

gary: so there's no chance we can be together?
lisa: only if you promise me you'll never die.
gary: you know i can't promise that.
lisa: if you could do that, i'd make love to you, right now.
gary: i promise. i will never die.

On 6 Jun 2005 13:39:01 -0400, HairyHenderson
<UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

>I have a Tyan Tiger MPX (S2466) and cannot seem to get any new video
>cards to work. So far I have tried the Geforce 6200 AGP 256, and the
>Geforce FX 5500 256 PCI. Every time I put the card in the machine I
>get the beep code saying there is a issue with the video card. I have
>512 Mb of RAM, and 2 Athlon MP 2000+. The card I am currently using is
>an ATI Rage 128 AGP 4X 32 Mb card. I really would like to have a 256
>Mb card in the machine so if anyone could help me or give me any
>suggestions I would appreciate it.

This sounds like a power supply problem. What's the wattage of
your power supply? If it's a cheap o, I would have the largest
possible. It doesn't guarantee you'll have a good PSU, but if it's all
you can afford, you may luck out. Myself, I use a ChiefMax 650W, and
it seems to power my 6600GT on an Athlon XP 3000+, but I only use 1
HDD, 1 FDD, and CDRW, so when I move to an Athlon 64 system, I might
need a better PSU.

"dr ratt" wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 19:29:52 GMT, "dawg" <don't
> look@worldnet.att.net>
> wrote:
>
> >"HairyHenderson" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
>  >> I have a Tyan Tiger MPX (S2466) and cannot seem to
> get any new video
>  >> cards to work. So far I have tried the Geforce 6200
> AGP 256, and the
>  >> Geforce FX 5500 256 PCI. Every time I put the card in
> the machine I
>  >> get the beep code saying there is a issue with the
> video card. I have
>  >> 512 Mb of RAM, and 2 Athlon MP 2000+. The card I am
> currently using is
>  >> an ATI Rage 128 AGP 4X 32 Mb card. I really would
> like to have a 256
>  >> Mb card in the machine so if anyone could help me or
> give me any
>  >> suggestions I would appreciate it.
>  >>
>  >> --
> >
> >Is there an extra 4 pin power connector on the new card?
> >

> this definitely appears to be a power issue, ie not enough.
> remove 1 of the cpus, if it boots you need a bigger psu, if
> not then
> the board cannot supply enough power via the agp bus alone.
> fwiw, i found that a ti4200 128 was about the most power
> hungry card
> [without additional power supply] i could run stable on my
> s2460.
>
> dr ratt

> gary: so there's no chance we can be together?
> lisa: only if you promise me you'll never die.
> gary: you know i can't promise that.
> lisa: if you could do that, i'd make love to you, right now.
> gary: i promise. i will never die.

I have a 450 watt power supply and card only requires 250 watts.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Nvidia-Tyan-Tiger-MPX-S2466-video-card-compatiblity-ftopict56825.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=287023

On 7 Jun 2005 15:35:51 -0400, HairyHenderson
<UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

snippy snip

>I have a 450 watt power supply and card only requires 250 watts.

yeah,plus the cpus require about 75watts each, the hdds require power,
the optical drives require power, the other pci cards require power,
usb & ps2 devices such as keyboard & mouse require power and the board
itself requires power. you're way over.
all of these will try to draw power at bootup, obviously its not
happening. the reason you're getting a video error beep code is that
its the video card that can't get enough power to initialise.
you should really use a pc power & cooling 550watt plus [or similar
quality brand] see the tyan website for psu recommendations.
iirc, the agp port on the s2466 can only supply 110watts maximum so
unless those cards have extra connectors to draw power direct from the
psu then they won't work regardless of how much power you make
available.

"dr ratt" wrote:
> On 7 Jun 2005 15:35:51 -0400, HairyHenderson
> <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:
>
> snippy snip
>

> >I have a 450 watt power supply and card only requires 250
> watts.
>
> yeah,plus the cpus require about 75watts each, the hdds
> require power,
> the optical drives require power, the other pci cards require
> power,
> usb & ps2 devices such as keyboard & mouse require power and
> the board
> itself requires power. you're way over.
> all of these will try to draw power at bootup, obviously its
> not
> happening. the reason you're getting a video error beep code
> is that
> its the video card that can't get enough power to initialise.
> you should really use a pc power & cooling 550watt plus [or
> similar
> quality brand] see the tyan website for psu recommendations.
> iirc, the agp port on the s2466 can only supply 110watts
> maximum so
> unless those cards have extra connectors to draw power direct
> from the
> psu then they won't work regardless of how much power you make
> available.
>
> dr ratt

> gary: so there's no chance we can be together?
> lisa: only if you promise me you'll never die.
> gary: you know i can't promise that.
> lisa: if you could do that, i'd make love to you, right now.
> gary: i promise. i will never die.

can i change anything in the BIOS to give the agp slot any more
wattage, I noticed there was an option to change the agp’s power in
the chipset settings.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Nvidia-Tyan-Tiger-MPX-S2466-video-card-compatiblity-ftopict56825.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=287251

HairyHenderson wrote:

> "dr ratt" wrote:
> > On 7 Jun 2005 15:35:51 -0400, HairyHenderson
> > <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:
> >
> > snippy snip
> >

> > >I have a 450 watt power supply and card only requires 250
> > watts.
> >
> > yeah,plus the cpus require about 75watts each, the hdds
> > require power,
> > the optical drives require power, the other pci cards require
> > power,
> > usb & ps2 devices such as keyboard & mouse require power and
> > the board
> > itself requires power. you're way over.
> > all of these will try to draw power at bootup, obviously its
> > not
> > happening. the reason you're getting a video error beep code
> > is that
> > its the video card that can't get enough power to initialise.
> > you should really use a pc power & cooling 550watt plus [or
> > similar
> > quality brand] see the tyan website for psu recommendations.
> > iirc, the agp port on the s2466 can only supply 110watts
> > maximum so
> > unless those cards have extra connectors to draw power direct
> > from the
> > psu then they won't work regardless of how much power you make
> > available.
> >
> > dr ratt

> > gary: so there's no chance we can be together?
> > lisa: only if you promise me you'll never die.
> > gary: you know i can't promise that.
> > lisa: if you could do that, i'd make love to you, right now.
> > gary: i promise. i will never die.
>
> can i change anything in the BIOS to give the agp slot any more
> wattage, I noticed there was an option to change the agp’s power in
> the chipset settings.

You can adjust the voltage but if the power supply can't provide the juice
it doesn't matter.

You've basically got one of the most power hungry motherboards and one of
the most power-hungry video boards around and the only way to deal with it
is a mongo power supply. This is the kind of system that the Intel
Cabrillo-C case with its triple-redundant 1200 watt power supply was
intended to handle.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate