enable/disable the TV OUT on a graphic card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2005 6:21:00 PM

Hi,

I have tried to enable and disable the TV OUT on a graphic
card by using the GDI function ChangeDisplaySettingsEx
function and the VIDEOPARAMETERS struct, but it does seem
to work.
According to Microsoft/MSDN it should be possible to
enable/disable TV OUT. They say:
To enable TV output, the caller (not the miniport driver)
should do the following:

·In dwFlags, set VP_FLAGS_TV_MODE and
VP_FLAGS_TV_STANDARD. Clear all other flags.

·Set dwMode to either VP_MODE_WIN_GRAPHICS or
VP_MODE_TV_PLAYBACK. Do not set both bits.

·Set dwTvStandard to the desired standard (for example
VP_TV_STANDARD_NTSC_M). Do not set any other bits in
dwTvStandard

The VIDEOPARAMETERS struct contains the above members.

I have tried the following (C++ ;-)

VIDEOPARAMETERS vp = {0};

vp.Guid = GUID_VIDEOPARAMETERS;
vp.dwCommand = VP_COMMAND_SET;
vp.dwFlags = VP_FLAGS_TV_MODE | VP_FLAGS_TV_STANDARD
vp.dwMode = VP_MODE_TV_PLAYBACK;
vp.dwTVStandard = VP_TV_STANDARD_NTSC_M;

LONG lResult = ChangeDisplaySettingsEx
("\\\\.\\Display1",NULL,0,CDS_VIDEOPARAMETERS,&vp);

The function returns success (DISP_CHANGE_SUCCESSFUL), but
it does not enable the TV OUT.

Does anyone have any experience with this or any other
idea on how to enable/disable the TV OUT on a graphic card?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 10, 2005 5:04:03 AM

This is absolutely bad news that it is driver specific.
I want to make an application which works for all types of GFX-cards.

If a Tv-out is present, I would like to enable of disable it.

Frederik

Tony schreef:
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:43:42 +1200, ??? <root@cia.govt> wrote:
>
> >If you are talking abount nvidia cards then the TV out can run in two
> >modes, clone or dual view.
> >
> >I also do not think that the TV out is controled by any system API.
> >
> >You would be better to look at the linux kernel driver source and find
> >the nvidia API for TV out.
>

> The TV out is Activated when it sees a 75 Ohm connection..
>

> >On 9 Jun 2005 14:21:00 -0700, frederik.anrys@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I have tried to enable and disable the TV OUT on a graphic
> >>card by using the GDI function ChangeDisplaySettingsEx
> >>function and the VIDEOPARAMETERS struct, but it does seem
> >>to work.
> >>According to Microsoft/MSDN it should be possible to
> >>enable/disable TV OUT. They say:
> >>To enable TV output, the caller (not the miniport driver)
> >>should do the following:
> >>
> >>·In dwFlags, set VP_FLAGS_TV_MODE and
> >>VP_FLAGS_TV_STANDARD. Clear all other flags.
> >>
> >>·Set dwMode to either VP_MODE_WIN_GRAPHICS or
> >>VP_MODE_TV_PLAYBACK. Do not set both bits.
> >>
> >>·Set dwTvStandard to the desired standard (for example
> >>VP_TV_STANDARD_NTSC_M). Do not set any other bits in
> >>dwTvStandard
> >>
> >>The VIDEOPARAMETERS struct contains the above members.
> >>
> >>I have tried the following (C++ ;-)
> >>
> >>VIDEOPARAMETERS vp = {0};
> >>
> >>vp.Guid = GUID_VIDEOPARAMETERS;
> >>vp.dwCommand = VP_COMMAND_SET;
> >>vp.dwFlags = VP_FLAGS_TV_MODE | VP_FLAGS_TV_STANDARD
> >>vp.dwMode = VP_MODE_TV_PLAYBACK;
> >>vp.dwTVStandard = VP_TV_STANDARD_NTSC_M;
> >>
> >>LONG lResult = ChangeDisplaySettingsEx
> >>("\\\\.\\Display1",NULL,0,CDS_VIDEOPARAMETERS,&vp);
> >>
> >>The function returns success (DISP_CHANGE_SUCCESSFUL), but
> >>it does not enable the TV OUT.
> >>
> >>Does anyone have any experience with this or any other
> >>idea on how to enable/disable the TV OUT on a graphic card?
June 10, 2005 2:43:42 PM

If you are talking abount nvidia cards then the TV out can run in two
modes, clone or dual view.

I also do not think that the TV out is controled by any system API.

You would be better to look at the linux kernel driver source and find
the nvidia API for TV out.

On 9 Jun 2005 14:21:00 -0700, frederik.anrys@gmail.com wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have tried to enable and disable the TV OUT on a graphic
>card by using the GDI function ChangeDisplaySettingsEx
>function and the VIDEOPARAMETERS struct, but it does seem
>to work.
>According to Microsoft/MSDN it should be possible to
>enable/disable TV OUT. They say:
>To enable TV output, the caller (not the miniport driver)
>should do the following:
>
>·In dwFlags, set VP_FLAGS_TV_MODE and
>VP_FLAGS_TV_STANDARD. Clear all other flags.
>
>·Set dwMode to either VP_MODE_WIN_GRAPHICS or
>VP_MODE_TV_PLAYBACK. Do not set both bits.
>
>·Set dwTvStandard to the desired standard (for example
>VP_TV_STANDARD_NTSC_M). Do not set any other bits in
>dwTvStandard
>
>The VIDEOPARAMETERS struct contains the above members.
>
>I have tried the following (C++ ;-)
>
>VIDEOPARAMETERS vp = {0};
>
>vp.Guid = GUID_VIDEOPARAMETERS;
>vp.dwCommand = VP_COMMAND_SET;
>vp.dwFlags = VP_FLAGS_TV_MODE | VP_FLAGS_TV_STANDARD
>vp.dwMode = VP_MODE_TV_PLAYBACK;
>vp.dwTVStandard = VP_TV_STANDARD_NTSC_M;
>
>LONG lResult = ChangeDisplaySettingsEx
>("\\\\.\\Display1",NULL,0,CDS_VIDEOPARAMETERS,&vp);
>
>The function returns success (DISP_CHANGE_SUCCESSFUL), but
>it does not enable the TV OUT.
>
>Does anyone have any experience with this or any other
>idea on how to enable/disable the TV OUT on a graphic card?
Related resources
June 10, 2005 3:14:02 PM

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:43:42 +1200, ??? <root@cia.govt> wrote:

>If you are talking abount nvidia cards then the TV out can run in two
>modes, clone or dual view.
>
>I also do not think that the TV out is controled by any system API.
>
>You would be better to look at the linux kernel driver source and find
>the nvidia API for TV out.

The TV out is Activated when it sees a 75 Ohm connection..

>On 9 Jun 2005 14:21:00 -0700, frederik.anrys@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have tried to enable and disable the TV OUT on a graphic
>>card by using the GDI function ChangeDisplaySettingsEx
>>function and the VIDEOPARAMETERS struct, but it does seem
>>to work.
>>According to Microsoft/MSDN it should be possible to
>>enable/disable TV OUT. They say:
>>To enable TV output, the caller (not the miniport driver)
>>should do the following:
>>
>>·In dwFlags, set VP_FLAGS_TV_MODE and
>>VP_FLAGS_TV_STANDARD. Clear all other flags.
>>
>>·Set dwMode to either VP_MODE_WIN_GRAPHICS or
>>VP_MODE_TV_PLAYBACK. Do not set both bits.
>>
>>·Set dwTvStandard to the desired standard (for example
>>VP_TV_STANDARD_NTSC_M). Do not set any other bits in
>>dwTvStandard
>>
>>The VIDEOPARAMETERS struct contains the above members.
>>
>>I have tried the following (C++ ;-)
>>
>>VIDEOPARAMETERS vp = {0};
>>
>>vp.Guid = GUID_VIDEOPARAMETERS;
>>vp.dwCommand = VP_COMMAND_SET;
>>vp.dwFlags = VP_FLAGS_TV_MODE | VP_FLAGS_TV_STANDARD
>>vp.dwMode = VP_MODE_TV_PLAYBACK;
>>vp.dwTVStandard = VP_TV_STANDARD_NTSC_M;
>>
>>LONG lResult = ChangeDisplaySettingsEx
>>("\\\\.\\Display1",NULL,0,CDS_VIDEOPARAMETERS,&vp);
>>
>>The function returns success (DISP_CHANGE_SUCCESSFUL), but
>>it does not enable the TV OUT.
>>
>>Does anyone have any experience with this or any other
>>idea on how to enable/disable the TV OUT on a graphic card?
June 11, 2005 4:00:14 PM

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:14:02 +1200, Tony
<ts@nospam.comn> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:43:42 +1200, ??? <root@cia.govt> wrote:
>
>>If you are talking abount nvidia cards then the TV out can run in two
>>modes, clone or dual view.
>>
>>I also do not think that the TV out is controled by any system API.
>>
>>You would be better to look at the linux kernel driver source and find
>>the nvidia API for TV out.
>

>The TV out is Activated when it sees a 75 Ohm connection..

Attaching a 75 Ohm load to the card will not enable the TV out in
windows or the card for that matter. Software must be used to activate
the TV out.
June 11, 2005 5:36:13 PM

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 12:00:14 +1200, ??? <root@cia.govt> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:14:02 +1200, Tony
><ts@nospam.comn> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:43:42 +1200, ??? <root@cia.govt> wrote:
>>
>>>If you are talking abount nvidia cards then the TV out can run in two
>>>modes, clone or dual view.
>>>
>>>I also do not think that the TV out is controled by any system API.
>>>
>>>You would be better to look at the linux kernel driver source and find
>>>the nvidia API for TV out.
>>

>>The TV out is Activated when it sees a 75 Ohm connection..
>
>Attaching a 75 Ohm load to the card will not enable the TV out in
>windows or the card for that matter. Software must be used to activate
>the TV out.

I have done that so I am Correct and you are NOT.

I am a TV tech..
June 12, 2005 8:23:02 PM

When you say you have done that, done what???

Also I have tried connecting a 75 Ohm load to my TV out and guess
what, there is no picture!!! does not surprise me as I need to execute
some software on the computer to enable the TV output.

These hardware techs need to do a bit of software devolopment me
thinks ;)

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 13:36:13 +1200, Tony
<ts@nospam.comn> wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 12:00:14 +1200, ??? <root@cia.govt> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:14:02 +1200, Tony
>><ts@nospam.comn> wrote:

>>>The TV out is Activated when it sees a 75 Ohm connection..
>>
>>Attaching a 75 Ohm load to the card will not enable the TV out in
>>windows or the card for that matter. Software must be used to activate
>>the TV out.
>

>I have done that so I am Correct and you are NOT.
>

>I am a TV tech..

June 12, 2005 10:41:41 PM

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 16:23:02 +1200, ??? <root@cia.govt> wrote:

>When you say you have done that, done what???
>
>Also I have tried connecting a 75 Ohm load to my TV out and guess
>what, there is no picture!!! does not surprise me as I need to execute
>some software on the computer to enable the TV output.
>
>These hardware techs need to do a bit of software devolopment me
>thinks ;)

Been there done all that, Computer Tech's have to know Machine Code and
Assembly language, far harder than a high level programming language.like C+
etc.

The TV out did not work on a TV that did not have a 75 Ohms termination but
did when it was plugged into a TV that did.

>On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 13:36:13 +1200, Tony
><ts@nospam.comn> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 12:00:14 +1200, ??? <root@cia.govt> wrote:

>>>Attaching a 75 Ohm load to the card will not enable the TV out in
>>>windows or the card for that matter. Software must be used to activate
>>>the TV out.
>>

>>I have done that so I am Correct and you are NOT.
>>

>>I am a TV tech..

June 13, 2005 11:16:17 PM

Worn the tee shirt myself. More fun to cram 2k of machien code into a
micro then 2k of compiled C..

!