DVI to Componate Adaptor or TV-out cable (with 9-pin mini-..

Iam SO CONFUSED :(

Heres a link to the Sanyo DVi to componate adaptor.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=331637&is=REG

I was just wodering what would be my BEST bet to get true HD on my TV.
Which one.

My TV is fully 720p and 1080i. I could buy both and try them out but i
would like not to do that and use the best right up.

Do i realy need a true DVI or HDMI to get realy good HD movies via my
PC ?

Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about componate adaptor cable with mini

    I don't know much about DVI to component adapters.

    What I do know is that is that ATi have one for their Radeon
    9500/9600/9700/9800 and that works only on those models ( because the DVI
    port has some extra pins on it to help generate the signal). The one you've
    listed here might work on any card with a DVI port, but there doesn't seem
    to be much info as to whether it can actually do this. Normally something to
    do this costs a lot of money (>100 USD) and is called a transcoder. You can
    get 'em on ebay and they connect to a standard analogue 15 pin VGA port.
    This is the first I've heard of a DVI-to-Component adapter for any graphics
    card. Just make sure that it'll actually work with your card before
    splurging on it.

    The 9 pin cable ( which isn't really an S-Video to HDTV though some
    manufacturers call it that. It has independent outputs for component) uses
    the HDTV encoder built into the GPU to generate the output signal and
    eliminates the need for extra electronics.

    "Jill haoulder" <43434.com.au> wrote in message

    > Iam SO CONFUSED :(
    >

    > Heres a link to the Sanyo DVi to componate adaptor.
    >
    > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=331637&is=REG
    >

    > I was just wodering what would be my BEST bet to get true HD on my TV.
    > Which one.
    >
    > My TV is fully 720p and 1080i. I could buy both and try them out but i
    > would like not to do that and use the best right up.
    >
    > Do i realy need a true DVI or HDMI to get realy good HD movies via my
    > PC ?
    >
    > Thanks.

    The component adapter you listed might not actually be suitable for PCs.

    If you check out:

    http://store.salestores.com/sapodvitococ.html ( This is the exact same model
    you linked to earlier. )

    OR

    http://store.salestores.com/sanyo20.html

    You can clearly see that 'tis a projector accessory.

    The info on the first link seems to indicate DVI-C ( I'm guessing here )
    Graphics cards do DVI-I which includes DVI-D. So this DVI to component
    adapter ( I'm guessing again, unless someone else knows better ) will PROLY
    only work with a projector. As I said 'tis a guess.

    The do have VGA to Component adapters all over the place. However even
    though the plug is a VGA adapter 'tis in fact carrying a different kind of
    signal over the connector and is used primarily for projectors. I know this
    for a fact, from my long months of searching for a HDTV adapter for the GF
    6.

    http://store.salestores.com/sapovgatococ.html is an example of a VGA to
    component adapter which will definitely not work on a PC graphics card's VGA
    output. Admittedly 'tis not a DVI to component adapter, but it is a
    projector accessory.

    "Sharanga Dayananda" <sharanga@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > The component adapter you listed might not actually be suitable for PCs.
    >
    > If you check out:
    >
    > http://store.salestores.com/sapodvitococ.html ( This is the exact same
    > model you linked to earlier. )
    >
    > OR
    >
    > http://store.salestores.com/sanyo20.html
    >
    > You can clearly see that 'tis a projector accessory.
    >
    > The info on the first link seems to indicate DVI-C ( I'm guessing here )
    > Graphics cards do DVI-I which includes DVI-D. So this DVI to component
    > adapter ( I'm guessing again, unless someone else knows better ) will
    > PROLY only work with a projector. As I said 'tis a guess.
    >
    > The do have VGA to Component adapters all over the place. However even
    > though the plug is a VGA adapter 'tis in fact carrying a different kind of
    > signal over the connector and is used primarily for projectors. I know
    > this for a fact, from my long months of searching for a HDTV adapter for
    > the GF 6.
    >
    > http://store.salestores.com/sapovgatococ.html is an example of a VGA to
    > component adapter which will definitely not work on a PC graphics card's
    > VGA output. Admittedly 'tis not a DVI to component adapter, but it is a
    > projector accessory.
    >

    > "Jill haoulder" <43434.com.au> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Iam SO CONFUSED :(
    >>

    >> Heres a link to the Sanyo DVi to componate adaptor.
    >>
    >> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=331637&is=REG
    >>

    >> I was just wodering what would be my BEST bet to get true HD on my TV.
    >> Which one.
    >>
    >> My TV is fully 720p and 1080i. I could buy both and try them out but i
    >> would like not to do that and use the best right up.
    >>
    >> Do i realy need a true DVI or HDMI to get realy good HD movies via my
    >> PC ?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    Confused? No wonder.

    Component is analog. DVI-D is strictly digital. Don't know what DVI-C is.
    DVI-I has 4 extra analog pins which are usually used for DVI-I to VGA
    adapters.
    Unknown if those 4 pins on DVI-I can be used for component output. Usually,
    you use a VGA to component adapter with computer video cards.

    I dunno there doesn't seem to be anything called DVI-C. So mebbe that DVI to
    component adapter will work.

    Hopefully it won't fry anything.

    "PhxGrunge" <noname@qwest.net> wrote in message

    > "Sharanga Dayananda" <sharanga@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> The component adapter you listed might not actually be suitable for PCs.
    >>
    >> If you check out:
    >>
    >> http://store.salestores.com/sapodvitococ.html ( This is the exact same
    >> model you linked to earlier. )
    >>
    >> OR
    >>
    >> http://store.salestores.com/sanyo20.html
    >>
    >> You can clearly see that 'tis a projector accessory.
    >>
    >> The info on the first link seems to indicate DVI-C ( I'm guessing here )
    >> Graphics cards do DVI-I which includes DVI-D. So this DVI to component
    >> adapter ( I'm guessing again, unless someone else knows better ) will
    >> PROLY only work with a projector. As I said 'tis a guess.
    >>
    >> The do have VGA to Component adapters all over the place. However even
    >> though the plug is a VGA adapter 'tis in fact carrying a different kind
    >> of signal over the connector and is used primarily for projectors. I know
    >> this for a fact, from my long months of searching for a HDTV adapter for
    >> the GF 6.
    >>
    >> http://store.salestores.com/sapovgatococ.html is an example of a VGA to
    >> component adapter which will definitely not work on a PC graphics card's
    >> VGA output. Admittedly 'tis not a DVI to component adapter, but it is a
    >> projector accessory.
    >>

    >> "Jill haoulder" <43434.com.au> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> Iam SO CONFUSED :(
    >>>

    >>> Heres a link to the Sanyo DVi to componate adaptor.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=331637&is=REG
    >>>

    >>> I was just wodering what would be my BEST bet to get true HD on my TV.
    >>> Which one.
    >>>
    >>> My TV is fully 720p and 1080i. I could buy both and try them out but i
    >>> would like not to do that and use the best right up.
    >>>
    >>> Do i realy need a true DVI or HDMI to get realy good HD movies via my
    >>> PC ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    > Confused? No wonder.
    >
    > Component is analog. DVI-D is strictly digital. Don't know what DVI-C
    > is.
    > DVI-I has 4 extra analog pins which are usually used for DVI-I to VGA
    > adapters.
    > Unknown if those 4 pins on DVI-I can be used for component output.
    > Usually, you use a VGA to component adapter with computer video cards.

    Ive emailed Sanyo so maybe ill ask them if it will work ona TV. My
    last email just asked if they could get one and cost and where from :)

    Wait i did ask for some more detailed info. So that might have the
    info i want if they even answer.

    Thanks.

Nvidia TV DVI Graphics