lee

I have read so many negative comments about Gateway and their machines
that I thought for a change I would post a positive comment just so
newbies might know there are people who have been happy with their machines.

In Oct 98 I purchased my Gateway G6 333 mghz with a EV700 monitor. I
have used this machine daily. I have added addition drive
along with PCI cards additional memory and a tape backup, the only
failure I had over the past 7 years was a floppy drive (LS 120) which
with no hesitation Gateway replaced. It has and does every thing I
needed done. I have enjoyed using it and even though expensive (to me)
at the time would buy again.

I plan on running it as long as it will do the job and the machine
holds up. While just 7 years is not all that long, I am sure there are
others out there who have had their machines even longer and are just as
happy with them.

As far as this user knows Gateway right along with other manufacturers
do the best to put out a good product. Most of the time all you ever
read about any product is from those who get a lemon or have real
problems with their machines. I just thought I would post from a happy
user who was satisfied with what was sold.

Lee

Well, your experience is not very relevant as the company as well as the
whole industry has changed tremendously since you bought that computer. My
first computer, a P 133 MHZ, purchased in 1996, was given away earlier this
year, still working fine albeit mighty slow compared to today's machines.
We are still using the monitor from that system on a new eMachine. My PIII
450, purchased March, 1999 is still working fine, did have its CD writer and
video card replaced, the latter under warranty because the company had gone
out of business and no updated drivers were available to deal with problems
caused by MS upgrades. I also have a Gateway 450 laptop purchased in
December 2003 that has had no problems, so I have been very happy with my
Gateways, but it is a gamble these days whether you will get the quality and
service you expect in a computer from any vendor.

In news:hL7Be.51889$qm.46912@bignews5.bellsouth.net,
Lee <lbray5032@bellsouth.net> stated
| I have read so many negative comments about Gateway and their machines
| that I thought for a change I would post a positive comment just so
| newbies might know there are people who have been happy with their
| machines.
|
| In Oct 98 I purchased my Gateway G6 333 mghz with a EV700 monitor. I
| have used this machine daily. I have added addition drive
| along with PCI cards additional memory and a tape backup, the only
| failure I had over the past 7 years was a floppy drive (LS 120) which
| with no hesitation Gateway replaced. It has and does every thing I
| needed done. I have enjoyed using it and even though expensive (to me)
| at the time would buy again.
|
| I plan on running it as long as it will do the job and the machine
| holds up. While just 7 years is not all that long, I am sure there
| are others out there who have had their machines even longer and are
| just as happy with them.
|
| As far as this user knows Gateway right along with other manufacturers
| do the best to put out a good product. Most of the time all you ever
| read about any product is from those who get a lemon or have real
| problems with their machines. I just thought I would post from a
| happy user who was satisfied with what was sold.
|
| Lee

Yea, I was happy with my first 2 Gateways back then too. Try these
bozo liars now!!! I bought my newest and last Gateway last Dec and I
have been purposly lied to so much, it will be my last Gateway too. I
hope they rot in hell as this is what they deserve.

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:26:32 -0400, Lee <lbray5032@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

> I have read so many negative comments about Gateway and their machines
>that I thought for a change I would post a positive comment just so
>newbies might know there are people who have been happy with their machines.
>
> In Oct 98 I purchased my Gateway G6 333 mghz with a EV700 monitor. I
>have used this machine daily. I have added addition drive
>along with PCI cards additional memory and a tape backup, the only
>failure I had over the past 7 years was a floppy drive (LS 120) which
>with no hesitation Gateway replaced. It has and does every thing I
>needed done. I have enjoyed using it and even though expensive (to me)
>at the time would buy again.
>
> I plan on running it as long as it will do the job and the machine
>holds up. While just 7 years is not all that long, I am sure there are
>others out there who have had their machines even longer and are just as
>happy with them.
>
> As far as this user knows Gateway right along with other manufacturers
>do the best to put out a good product. Most of the time all you ever
>read about any product is from those who get a lemon or have real
>problems with their machines. I just thought I would post from a happy
>user who was satisfied with what was sold.
>
>Lee

FWIW, I thought that Gateway quality held up pretty well up to and including the
early Pentium 4 computers in the beige chassis with a gray front panel. And
only certain types of motherboards. The Intel branded ones are OK, and even
show up in some newer Gateways I've serviced recently. The Anigma motherboards
have always been an enigma (maybe that's why the brand name called itself what
it did?), even going back to the 486 days.

I can't say much about Gateway notebooks and servers, as I've encountered very
few of either... Ben Myers

Ben Myers wrote:
> FWIW, I thought that Gateway quality held up pretty well. . . .I can't say much
> about Gateway notebooks and servers, as I've encountered very
> few of either... Ben Myers

The only dead Gateway servers I've seen are very early (Pentium I) and
appear to have been retired because of harddrive failure. I suspect
that there may a quite of few of these early workhorses still in action.
As for laptops, my wife's Solo 5150 still chugs along. She won't let
me replace it.

Mellow

I think that the major computer makers like GW and Dell have lost their
reputation by cutting the corners of everything including Tech Support
and sales. If your a first timer I would be causious. Look around check
out some of the local computer shops and if they have been around for a
long time.

Have done some upgrading of my system lately and have had to send it
back because it was incompatible or they sent the wrong item.

Though I do not think that I am going to give GW my business this next
time. I belive that I am going to build my own system with the
assistance of a computer users group.

Ron

Lee wrote:
> I have read so many negative comments about Gateway and their
> machines that I thought for a change I would post a positive comment
> just so newbies might know there are people who have been happy with
> their machines.
>
> In Oct 98 I purchased my Gateway G6 333 mghz with a EV700 monitor.
> I have used this machine daily. I have added addition drive
> along with PCI cards additional memory and a tape backup, the only
> failure I had over the past 7 years was a floppy drive (LS 120) which
> with no hesitation Gateway replaced. It has and does every thing I
> needed done. I have enjoyed using it and even though expensive (to me)
> at the time would buy again.
>
> I plan on running it as long as it will do the job and the machine
> holds up. While just 7 years is not all that long, I am sure there are
> others out there who have had their machines even longer and are just as
> happy with them.
>
> As far as this user knows Gateway right along with other
> manufacturers do the best to put out a good product. Most of the time
> all you ever read about any product is from those who get a lemon or
> have real problems with their machines. I just thought I would post
> from a happy user who was satisfied with what was sold.
>
> Lee

My old gateway system is amazing! I am very happy with it. The newer
sytems tend to throw me off, they are nov very good quality. Of course,
if you are looking for a nice laptop, gateway laptops are my second
favorite, compared to dell. GW laptops are a very good system for a
very good price

And it has already been stated on this newsgroup and you confirm by
saying the system you are satisfied with was purchased in Oct 98 that
it was the mid to late 90's when the quality and support we have been
talking about on boxes with the gateway name on them started going to
hell.

NIK

Lee wrote:
> I have read so many negative comments about Gateway and their machines
> that I thought for a change I would post a positive comment just so
> newbies might know there are people who have been happy with their machines.
>
> In Oct 98 I purchased my Gateway G6 333 mghz with a EV700 monitor. I
> have used this machine daily. I have added addition drive
> along with PCI cards additional memory and a tape backup, the only
> failure I had over the past 7 years was a floppy drive (LS 120) which
> with no hesitation Gateway replaced. It has and does every thing I
> needed done. I have enjoyed using it and even though expensive (to me)
> at the time would buy again.
>
> I plan on running it as long as it will do the job and the machine
> holds up. While just 7 years is not all that long, I am sure there are
> others out there who have had their machines even longer and are just as
> happy with them.
>
> As far as this user knows Gateway right along with other manufacturers
> do the best to put out a good product. Most of the time all you ever
> read about any product is from those who get a lemon or have real
> problems with their machines. I just thought I would post from a happy
> user who was satisfied with what was sold.
>
> Lee

HP! Hp is the WORST manufactured brand of computer I have ever used!
High prices, cheap components and shitty customer support = HP.

None of the PC manufacturers are building machines like they used to -
if you want trouble free hardware, the two closest are Apple desktops
and notebooks, and IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad notebooks.

If you're looking for a quality desktop, you've got two options - build
one yourself, or have a local shop assemble one with components of your
choosing. You're not going to find a high quality desktop from any of
the major brands any longer - and the notebooks many are producing
aren't great, either.

Lee wrote:
> I have read so many negative comments about Gateway and their
> machines that I thought for a change I would post a positive comment
> just so newbies might know there are people who have been happy with
> their machines.
>
> In Oct 98 I purchased my Gateway G6 333 mghz with a EV700 monitor.
> I have used this machine daily. I have added addition drive
> along with PCI cards additional memory and a tape backup, the only
> failure I had over the past 7 years was a floppy drive (LS 120) which
> with no hesitation Gateway replaced. It has and does every thing I
> needed done. I have enjoyed using it and even though expensive (to me)
> at the time would buy again.
>
> I plan on running it as long as it will do the job and the machine
> holds up. While just 7 years is not all that long, I am sure there are
> others out there who have had their machines even longer and are just as
> happy with them.
>
> As far as this user knows Gateway right along with other
> manufacturers do the best to put out a good product. Most of the time
> all you ever read about any product is from those who get a lemon or
> have real problems with their machines. I just thought I would post
> from a happy user who was satisfied with what was sold.
>
> Lee

Well, actually I am impressed by the workmanship in name-brand high end desktop
computers, often sold as "workstations". Examples are the Dell Precision line
and the IBM/Lenovo Intellistation. I forget what HP calls its workstations.
But you pay the price for the quality.

For example, even though the motherboards inside the single processor Dell
Precision systems (360 or 370) are very similar(maybe physically identical with
different BIOSes?) to the better Dell Dimensions (8300 or later), the
workmanship in the Precision chassis is infinitely better, at least for my
money... Ben Myers

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:24:37 GMT, "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@myrealbox.com> wrote:

>None of the PC manufacturers are building machines like they used to -
>if you want trouble free hardware, the two closest are Apple desktops
>and notebooks, and IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad notebooks.
>
>If you're looking for a quality desktop, you've got two options - build
>one yourself, or have a local shop assemble one with components of your
>choosing. You're not going to find a high quality desktop from any of
>the major brands any longer - and the notebooks many are producing
>aren't great, either.
>

>Lee wrote:
>> I have read so many negative comments about Gateway and their
>> machines that I thought for a change I would post a positive comment
>> just so newbies might know there are people who have been happy with
>> their machines.
>>
>> In Oct 98 I purchased my Gateway G6 333 mghz with a EV700 monitor.
>> I have used this machine daily. I have added addition drive
>> along with PCI cards additional memory and a tape backup, the only
>> failure I had over the past 7 years was a floppy drive (LS 120) which
>> with no hesitation Gateway replaced. It has and does every thing I
>> needed done. I have enjoyed using it and even though expensive (to me)
>> at the time would buy again.
>>
>> I plan on running it as long as it will do the job and the machine
>> holds up. While just 7 years is not all that long, I am sure there are
>> others out there who have had their machines even longer and are just as
>> happy with them.
>>
>> As far as this user knows Gateway right along with other
>> manufacturers do the best to put out a good product. Most of the time
>> all you ever read about any product is from those who get a lemon or
>> have real problems with their machines. I just thought I would post
>> from a happy user who was satisfied with what was sold.
>>
>> Lee

I agree with you 1000% percent when it comes to the mass market junk HP sells
under the Pavilion brand name. Whether notebook or desktop, Pavilions are
pretty awful.

But, really, HP does make a decent workstation. They have to in order to get
the money they charge... Ben Myers

On 14 Jul 2005 19:13:42 -0700, "Therrol" <Therrol@gmail.com> wrote:

>HP! Hp is the WORST manufactured brand of computer I have ever used!
>High prices, cheap components and shitty customer support = HP.

The recent Precisions I've seen use the Dimension XPS chassis in a
differnet color with less flashy design - they're solid enough inside,
but the details like the ridiculously flimsy swing-out door are lacking.
At least the power supplies hold up for more than a year, which is more
than you can say for the new Dimensions - at least the black towers;
the jury is still out on the new BTX-format silver 5100 and 9100.

The IBM ThinkStations are solidly built. It looks like Lenovo doesn't
plan to change that (which is a good thing).

Ben Myers wrote:
> Well, actually I am impressed by the workmanship in name-brand high end desktop
> computers, often sold as "workstations". Examples are the Dell Precision line
> and the IBM/Lenovo Intellistation. I forget what HP calls its workstations.
> But you pay the price for the quality.
>
> For example, even though the motherboards inside the single processor Dell
> Precision systems (360 or 370) are very similar(maybe physically identical with
> different BIOSes?) to the better Dell Dimensions (8300 or later), the
> workmanship in the Precision chassis is infinitely better, at least for my
> money... Ben Myers

Interesting. I haven't kicked the tires on the newer Precisions, only those
made up to maybe 18 months ago... Ben Myers

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 00:00:39 GMT, "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:

>The recent Precisions I've seen use the Dimension XPS chassis in a
>differnet color with less flashy design - they're solid enough inside,
>but the details like the ridiculously flimsy swing-out door are lacking.
>At least the power supplies hold up for more than a year, which is more
>than you can say for the new Dimensions - at least the black towers;
>the jury is still out on the new BTX-format silver 5100 and 9100.
>
>The IBM ThinkStations are solidly built. It looks like Lenovo doesn't
>plan to change that (which is a good thing).
>

>Ben Myers wrote:
>> Well, actually I am impressed by the workmanship in name-brand high end desktop
>> computers, often sold as "workstations". Examples are the Dell Precision line
>> and the IBM/Lenovo Intellistation. I forget what HP calls its workstations.
>> But you pay the price for the quality.
>>
>> For example, even though the motherboards inside the single processor Dell
>> Precision systems (360 or 370) are very similar(maybe physically identical with
>> different BIOSes?) to the better Dell Dimensions (8300 or later), the
>> workmanship in the Precision chassis is infinitely better, at least for my
>> money... Ben Myers

I agree the Gateways of that era were good machines. I retired a 1995
P5-120 last December that did a great job for me. However, the eMachines
(i.e., cheapo Gateway) I replaced it with has been a pain, so I will go
next time with a Dell or an Apple.