Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need for drivers for the monitor?

Last response: in Windows 7
November 29, 2010 11:08:00 AM

Here is a perhaps stupid question, but anyway: Is it necessary to have a device driver for the actual monitor in Windows 7?

It is of course needed for the graphic card itself, but in Device Manager under Monitor there is often some generic PnP device, but somethings a driver for the actual brand of monitor.

So my question is what is this needed for and is it a best practise to track down the monitor driver if such exist?

More about : drivers monitor

November 29, 2010 12:29:12 PM

Many monitors have drivers, its not really important, but its advised to..
What monitor ?
Did you google it ?
Score
November 29, 2010 12:31:25 PM

55Range said:
Many monitors have drivers, its not really important, but its advised to..
What monitor ?
Did you google it ?

Thanks for your answer. It is not a perticular monitor, I am mostly curious if that is needed on Windows 7 installations and what the driver actually does. Since I guess it should be only the graphic card that "talks" to the monitor?
Score
Related resources
a b \ Driver
a b C Monitor
a b $ Windows 7
November 29, 2010 12:49:16 PM

Hi.

For a perfect identification of the monitor is recommendable install the monitor driver.
Score
November 29, 2010 12:49:34 PM

If its working well, i wouldn't worry about it-
Bwt , did you check windows update ?
Doesn't it detect a setup for the monitor?
Score
November 29, 2010 12:53:45 PM

saint19 said:

For a perfect identification of the monitor is recommendable install the monitor driver.

Thanks for your reply!

But then, what will Windows gain by having a perfect identification of the monitor? Could it be to send power saving settings to the monitor?

I am just curious for the reason for of the display driver.
Score
a b \ Driver
a b C Monitor
a b $ Windows 7
November 29, 2010 1:15:13 PM

Do this:

On the desktop do right click and select screen resolution. Do you see the brand of your monitor where say "Display"? I'm pretty sure that you can't see it, you see "Generic pnp monitor".
Score
November 29, 2010 1:20:58 PM

saint19 said:
On the desktop do right click and select screen resolution. Do you see the brand of your monitor where say "Display"? I'm pretty sure that you can't see it, you see "Generic pnp monitor".

On the two Windows 7 machines I happen to have in front of me right now one of the shows Generic non-pnp and the other one, a laptop, shows "Mobile PC Display".
Score
a b \ Driver
a b C Monitor
a b $ Windows 7
November 29, 2010 1:25:55 PM

Right, now install the monitor driver (should comes with the monitor or can be downloaded from the manufacturer's web site) and let me know the difference.
Score
November 29, 2010 1:36:48 PM

saint19 said:
Right, now install the monitor driver (should comes with the monitor or can be downloaded from the manufacturer's web site) and let me know the difference.

For this monitor, Dell E196fpf, unfortunaly no driver exist for Windows 7 (latest available seems to be for Win XP).

Anyway, I am not looking for this driver for this monitor in perticular, but just wanting to know the reason for the driver and if it is important to have the correct one in general.
Score
November 29, 2010 1:40:55 PM

ricno said:
For this monitor, Dell E196fpf, unfortunaly no driver exist for Windows 7 (latest available seems to be for Win XP).

Anyway, I am not looking for this driver for this monitor in perticular, but just wanting to know the reason for the driver and if it is important to have the correct one in general.

If no driver exists for win 7, might be its not necessary, I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you can use your monitor and its doing its job-
Score
a b \ Driver
a b C Monitor
a b $ Windows 7
November 29, 2010 1:42:06 PM

If you want use more that one monitor at different resolution can help you, besides that, don't give you any other advantage. :lol: 
Score
November 29, 2010 1:45:01 PM

saint19 said:
If you want use more that one monitor at different resolution can help you,

So that could be a reason for having the correct drivers? That is good!

There is no more advantage?
Score

Best solution

a b \ Driver
a b C Monitor
a b $ Windows 7
November 29, 2010 1:50:54 PM

No more reason, in some cases if you want use more that one monitor at different resolution without the monitor driver is almost impossible.
December 1, 2010 7:16:23 AM

Best answer selected by ricno.
Score
a b \ Driver
a b C Monitor
a b $ Windows 7
December 1, 2010 11:06:30 AM

This topic has been closed by Saint19
Score
!