wpa aes password

I have WPA AES enabled with a 64 digit hexadecimal key on
my Buffalo G54 wireless router. I can connect quickly
and easily with my Dell laptop with a Linksys G adaptor
with WPA AES

If I open wireless network properties, and look at the
network key, there is a kry of only 8 dots long, not the
64 I put in originally. Why should XP not show 64 dots,
representing the legnth of the key?
2 answers Last reply
More about password

    as long as its working i wouldn't worry about it... most likely they used a
    control similar to a password control, and use a standard number of dots so
    that you can't guess the length from the filler character.

    "fp" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have WPA AES enabled with a 64 digit hexadecimal key on
    > my Buffalo G54 wireless router. I can connect quickly
    > and easily with my Dell laptop with a Linksys G adaptor
    > with WPA AES
    >
    > If I open wireless network properties, and look at the
    > network key, there is a kry of only 8 dots long, not the
    > 64 I put in originally. Why should XP not show 64 dots,
    > representing the legnth of the key?

    Hi,
    I had a discussion about this with Linksys Support. From what I understand,
    the entire password is behind the scenes. However, the 8 asterisks will
    only be displayed. He gave me some technical reason for this.

    "Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > as long as its working i wouldn't worry about it... most likely they used
    > control similar to a password control, and use a standard number of dots
    so
    > that you can't guess the length from the filler character.
    >
    > "fp" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have WPA AES enabled with a 64 digit hexadecimal key on
    > > my Buffalo G54 wireless router. I can connect quickly
    > > and easily with my Dell laptop with a Linksys G adaptor
    > > with WPA AES
    > >
    > > If I open wireless network properties, and look at the
    > > network key, there is a kry of only 8 dots long, not the
    > > 64 I put in originally. Why should XP not show 64 dots,
    > > representing the legnth of the key?

Wireless Networking