Ad-hoc connection without router?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
April 19, 2004 3:34:24 AM

Hi all,

I've got a belkin wireless desktop network card on my PC and a wireless
notebook network card on laptop.

Is it possible to run a network without router, just like i used to with my
crossover cable?
I'm trying so hard!!!
in advance, thanks for the help.

Rhum51.

More about : hoc connection router

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 19, 2004 3:34:25 AM

> I've got a belkin wireless desktop network card on my PC and a wireless
> notebook network card on laptop.
>
> Is it possible to run a network without router, just like i used to with
my
> crossover cable?
> I'm trying so hard!!!
> in advance, thanks for the help.

Yes, I'm running an ad-hoc network without a hardware router. I use the
software router built into XP to share my cable Internet connection between
our three computers (two XP Pro and one ME). Of course mine (the one with
the cable modem) must be on all the time in order to share the connection.

Tom Lake
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 19, 2004 5:44:10 PM

ok, thank you for this... I'll try harder then!!!!

Rhum51.

"Tom Lake" <tlake@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
news:o bSMR2ZJEHA.3548@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > I've got a belkin wireless desktop network card on my PC and a wireless
> > notebook network card on laptop.
> >
> > Is it possible to run a network without router, just like i used to with
> my
> > crossover cable?
> > I'm trying so hard!!!
> > in advance, thanks for the help.
>
> Yes, I'm running an ad-hoc network without a hardware router. I use the
> software router built into XP to share my cable Internet connection
between
> our three computers (two XP Pro and one ME). Of course mine (the one with
> the cable modem) must be on all the time in order to share the connection.
>
> Tom Lake

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 19, 2004 5:44:11 PM

See Making the Ad Hoc Wireless Connection written by Barb Bowman.

Making the Ad Hoc Wireless Connection
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/b...

Eric Cross, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)