6800gt or ultra difference

could someone please tell me the difference between the 6800gt and the
ultra? I have one 6800 gt and i was wondering what would be better
about adding the second one, i know it would be a little smoother but
would the graphics be better?
6 answers Last reply
More about 6800gt ultra difference

    In article <LIadnRoeNP6k5i_fRVn_vg@giganews.com>, shorty says...
    > could someone please tell me the difference between the 6800gt and the
    > ultra? I have one 6800 gt and i was wondering what would be better
    > about adding the second one, i know it would be a little smoother but
    > would the graphics be better?

    Money. Plain and simple. It is highly unlikely you'd notice the
    difference except for benchmarks.

    As for adding a second one, basically trousering fools for more money.
    SLI doesn't work properly and even then, only a handful of games
    support it with a 40%-80% increase in performance. If you want dual
    card setup, look at ATI Crossfire which DOES work on all games and
    doesn't need matching cards.

    --
    Conor

    "Be incomprehensible. If they can't understand, they can't disagree"
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 18:06:08 +0100, Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >In article <LIadnRoeNP6k5i_fRVn_vg@giganews.com>, shorty says...
    >> could someone please tell me the difference between the 6800gt and the
    >> ultra? I have one 6800 gt and i was wondering what would be better
    >> about adding the second one, i know it would be a little smoother but
    >> would the graphics be better?
    >>
    >Money. Plain and simple. It is highly unlikely you'd notice the
    >difference except for benchmarks.

    If the current framerate is satisfactory, it is still an expensive
    purchase... You may want to carefully consider a CPU upgrade
    BEFORE adding another video card. Throttling frame-rate
    due to CPU overload is becoming quite common. Turn the
    binoculars on in Far Cry, for example. See the slowed frame-rate
    and check the sudden rise in CPU ( not GPU) temperature.

    nVidia has announced 16x AA will be available in a SLI
    driver due to be released mid-July.

    >As for adding a second one, basically trousering fools for more money.
    >SLI doesn't work properly and even then, only a handful of games
    >support it with a 40%-80% increase in performance. If you want dual
    >card setup, look at ATI Crossfire which DOES work on all games and
    >doesn't need matching cards.

    Now you have descended into the nonsense realm...............
    What are you smoking ? And why did you post only to the nVidia group
    and not crosspost Ati ? I shall do you the favor of cross-posting
    this reply to the Ati group.

    1. X200-Crossfire motherboards are not yet available in the
    retail channel, and I have seen ZERO independent test-reviews.

    2. Ati is stupidly insisting that the Crossfire motherboard vendors
    currently use the Ati southbridge -- which is buggy -- instead of
    ULi.. No doubt Ati will re-spin their Southbridge, but how long
    will it be before the retail channels are purged.....and the
    purchaser does not buy a lemon motherboard.

    3. You need to buy one SPECIAL Crossfire video board, either X850
    version or X800 version. You cannot jam 2 existing X800 or X850
    boards in a crossfire system -- it don't work as Crossfire, only
    4-head video. If you buy a X850 version Crossfire video board
    and jam a X800 in the other slot, the performance will be
    dragged down to that of a dual X800.

    A Rube Goldberg kludge.....

    A highly-touted virtue is the enhanced AA...however, see the
    announcement from nVidia.

    Too little, too late for Ati. Especially with the nVidia 7800 about to
    be released. The SLI purchaser has now lots of flexibility. The
    6800GTand 660GT will drop in price, so either dual 6600/6800GTs,
    or a single 7800GT and use the other slot with any video card in a
    non-SLI configuration for 4-head video, or another future PCIe add-on
    -- physics chip anybody ?

    BTW, Ati should easily be able to design a Crossfire driver for
    a SLI motherboard, instead of trying to convince people to buy
    another dual-video motherboard. And they should... since there
    are now over a million SLI motherboards already out there, all eager
    to swallow video cards. Just add a Crossfire X850/X800 and the driver
    and ... bingo. And Ati make a LOT more money on the GPUs than
    on desktop MB chip-sets. However, ego will probably prevent Ati
    making a wise financial decision. If so, Crossfire should end up being
    an expensive fiasco for Ati.

    John Lewis

    >--
    >Conor
    >

    >"Be incomprehensible. If they can't understand, they can't disagree"
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    In article <42b30692.5165548@news.verizon.net>, John Lewis says...
    > >As for adding a second one, basically trousering fools for more money.
    > >SLI doesn't work properly and even then, only a handful of games
    > >support it with a 40%-80% increase in performance. If you want dual
    > >card setup, look at ATI Crossfire which DOES work on all games and
    > >doesn't need matching cards.
    > >
    > Now you have descended into the nonsense realm...............
    > What are you smoking ? And why did you post only to the nVidia group
    > and not crosspost Ati ?

    Clue: I have a NVidia card.

    --
    Conor

    K5, just along the corridor. Stupid git.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 19:54:13 +0100, Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >In article <42b30692.5165548@news.verizon.net>, John Lewis says...
    >> >As for adding a second one, basically trousering fools for more money.
    >> >SLI doesn't work properly and even then, only a handful of games
    >> >support it with a 40%-80% increase in performance. If you want dual
    >> >card setup, look at ATI Crossfire which DOES work on all games and
    >> >doesn't need matching cards.
    >> >
    >> Now you have descended into the nonsense realm...............
    >> What are you smoking ? And why did you post only to the nVidia group
    >> and not crosspost Ati ?
    >
    >Clue: I have a NVidia card.

    Apologies for being a little rough. You are a wise man. Stick with
    them. Better drivers... fewer marketing-driven kluges (at the moment)
    Neither nVidia nor Ati are angels when it comes to technology
    direction (remember the FX5800 kludge/fiasco) or marketing and
    they have a dunce's cap that they share. Ati is wearing it at the
    moment.

    John Lewis

    >--
    >Conor
    >
    >-You wanted an argument? Oh I'm sorry, but this is abuse. You want room
    >K5, just along the corridor. Stupid git.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    In article <42b349f7.22420706@news.verizon.net>, John Lewis says...
    > On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 19:54:13 +0100, Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <42b30692.5165548@news.verizon.net>, John Lewis says...
    > >> >
    > >> Now you have descended into the nonsense realm...............
    > >> What are you smoking ? And why did you post only to the nVidia group
    > >> and not crosspost Ati ?
    > >
    > >Clue: I have a NVidia card.
    > >

    > Apologies for being a little rough. You are a wise man. Stick with
    > them. Better drivers... fewer marketing-driven kluges (at the moment)
    > Neither nVidia nor Ati are angels when it comes to technology
    > direction (remember the FX5800 kludge/fiasco) or marketing and
    > they have a dunce's cap that they share. Ati is wearing it at the
    > moment.

    I did defect over to ATI for a bit as I was lured by the All In Wonders
    but I dabble in Linux and it was hell trying to get it to work.

    --

    "Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > In article <LIadnRoeNP6k5i_fRVn_vg@giganews.com>, shorty says...
    >> could someone please tell me the difference between the 6800gt and the
    >> ultra? I have one 6800 gt and i was wondering what would be better
    >> about adding the second one, i know it would be a little smoother but
    >> would the graphics be better?
    >>
    > Money. Plain and simple. It is highly unlikely you'd notice the
    > difference except for benchmarks.
    >
    > As for adding a second one, basically trousering fools for more money.
    > SLI doesn't work properly and even then, only a handful of games
    > support it with a 40%-80% increase in performance. If you want dual
    > card setup, look at ATI Crossfire which DOES work on all games and
    > doesn't need matching cards.

    Or better yet: wait.
    SLI/MVP is such a new tech...it's really in it's infancy end-user wise.
    Personally, I wouldn't touch it for at least six months. But really, I think
    it would be best to wait until the next _next_ cards are released. And more
    games offer support.

    > --
    > Conor
    >

    > "Be incomprehensible. If they can't understand, they can't disagree"

Nvidia Graphics