6800gt or ultra difference

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 17, 2005 6:26:49 AM

could someone please tell me the difference between the 6800gt and the
ultra? I have one 6800 gt and i was wondering what would be better
about adding the second one, i know it would be a little smoother but
would the graphics be better?
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 10:06:08 PM

In article <LIadnRoeNP6k5i_fRVn_vg@giganews.com>, shorty says...
> could someone please tell me the difference between the 6800gt and the
> ultra? I have one 6800 gt and i was wondering what would be better
> about adding the second one, i know it would be a little smoother but
> would the graphics be better?

Money. Plain and simple. It is highly unlikely you'd notice the
difference except for benchmarks.

As for adding a second one, basically trousering fools for more money.
SLI doesn't work properly and even then, only a handful of games
support it with a 40%-80% increase in performance. If you want dual
card setup, look at ATI Crossfire which DOES work on all games and
doesn't need matching cards.

--
Conor

"Be incomprehensible. If they can't understand, they can't disagree"
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 10:21:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 18:06:08 +0100, Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com>
wrote:

>In article <LIadnRoeNP6k5i_fRVn_vg@giganews.com>, shorty says...
>> could someone please tell me the difference between the 6800gt and the
>> ultra? I have one 6800 gt and i was wondering what would be better
>> about adding the second one, i know it would be a little smoother but
>> would the graphics be better?
>>
>Money. Plain and simple. It is highly unlikely you'd notice the
>difference except for benchmarks.

If the current framerate is satisfactory, it is still an expensive
purchase... You may want to carefully consider a CPU upgrade
BEFORE adding another video card. Throttling frame-rate
due to CPU overload is becoming quite common. Turn the
binoculars on in Far Cry, for example. See the slowed frame-rate
and check the sudden rise in CPU ( not GPU) temperature.

nVidia has announced 16x AA will be available in a SLI
driver due to be released mid-July.

>As for adding a second one, basically trousering fools for more money.
>SLI doesn't work properly and even then, only a handful of games
>support it with a 40%-80% increase in performance. If you want dual
>card setup, look at ATI Crossfire which DOES work on all games and
>doesn't need matching cards.

Now you have descended into the nonsense realm...............
What are you smoking ? And why did you post only to the nVidia group
and not crosspost Ati ? I shall do you the favor of cross-posting
this reply to the Ati group.

1. X200-Crossfire motherboards are not yet available in the
retail channel, and I have seen ZERO independent test-reviews.

2. Ati is stupidly insisting that the Crossfire motherboard vendors
currently use the Ati southbridge -- which is buggy -- instead of
ULi.. No doubt Ati will re-spin their Southbridge, but how long
will it be before the retail channels are purged.....and the
purchaser does not buy a lemon motherboard.

3. You need to buy one SPECIAL Crossfire video board, either X850
version or X800 version. You cannot jam 2 existing X800 or X850
boards in a crossfire system -- it don't work as Crossfire, only
4-head video. If you buy a X850 version Crossfire video board
and jam a X800 in the other slot, the performance will be
dragged down to that of a dual X800.

A Rube Goldberg kludge.....

A highly-touted virtue is the enhanced AA...however, see the
announcement from nVidia.

Too little, too late for Ati. Especially with the nVidia 7800 about to
be released. The SLI purchaser has now lots of flexibility. The
6800GTand 660GT will drop in price, so either dual 6600/6800GTs,
or a single 7800GT and use the other slot with any video card in a
non-SLI configuration for 4-head video, or another future PCIe add-on
-- physics chip anybody ?

BTW, Ati should easily be able to design a Crossfire driver for
a SLI motherboard, instead of trying to convince people to buy
another dual-video motherboard. And they should... since there
are now over a million SLI motherboards already out there, all eager
to swallow video cards. Just add a Crossfire X850/X800 and the driver
and ... bingo. And Ati make a LOT more money on the GPUs than
on desktop MB chip-sets. However, ego will probably prevent Ati
making a wise financial decision. If so, Crossfire should end up being
an expensive fiasco for Ati.

John Lewis

>--
>Conor
>

>"Be incomprehensible. If they can't understand, they can't disagree"
June 17, 2005 11:54:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

In article <42b30692.5165548@news.verizon.net>, John Lewis says...
> >As for adding a second one, basically trousering fools for more money.
> >SLI doesn't work properly and even then, only a handful of games
> >support it with a 40%-80% increase in performance. If you want dual
> >card setup, look at ATI Crossfire which DOES work on all games and
> >doesn't need matching cards.
> >
> Now you have descended into the nonsense realm...............
> What are you smoking ? And why did you post only to the nVidia group
> and not crosspost Ati ?

Clue: I have a NVidia card.

--
Conor

K5, just along the corridor. Stupid git.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 2:14:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 19:54:13 +0100, Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com>
wrote:

>In article <42b30692.5165548@news.verizon.net>, John Lewis says...
>> >As for adding a second one, basically trousering fools for more money.
>> >SLI doesn't work properly and even then, only a handful of games
>> >support it with a 40%-80% increase in performance. If you want dual
>> >card setup, look at ATI Crossfire which DOES work on all games and
>> >doesn't need matching cards.
>> >
>> Now you have descended into the nonsense realm...............
>> What are you smoking ? And why did you post only to the nVidia group
>> and not crosspost Ati ?
>
>Clue: I have a NVidia card.

Apologies for being a little rough. You are a wise man. Stick with
them. Better drivers... fewer marketing-driven kluges (at the moment)
Neither nVidia nor Ati are angels when it comes to technology
direction (remember the FX5800 kludge/fiasco) or marketing and
they have a dunce's cap that they share. Ati is wearing it at the
moment.

John Lewis

>--
>Conor
>
>-You wanted an argument? Oh I'm sorry, but this is abuse. You want room
>K5, just along the corridor. Stupid git.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 4:12:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

In article <42b349f7.22420706@news.verizon.net>, John Lewis says...
> On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 19:54:13 +0100, Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <42b30692.5165548@news.verizon.net>, John Lewis says...
> >> >
> >> Now you have descended into the nonsense realm...............
> >> What are you smoking ? And why did you post only to the nVidia group
> >> and not crosspost Ati ?
> >
> >Clue: I have a NVidia card.
> >

> Apologies for being a little rough. You are a wise man. Stick with
> them. Better drivers... fewer marketing-driven kluges (at the moment)
> Neither nVidia nor Ati are angels when it comes to technology
> direction (remember the FX5800 kludge/fiasco) or marketing and
> they have a dunce's cap that they share. Ati is wearing it at the
> moment.

I did defect over to ATI for a bit as I was lured by the All In Wonders
but I dabble in Linux and it was hell trying to get it to work.

--
Conor

K5, just along the corridor. Stupid git.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 2:16:49 PM

"Conor" <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <LIadnRoeNP6k5i_fRVn_vg@giganews.com>, shorty says...
>> could someone please tell me the difference between the 6800gt and the
>> ultra? I have one 6800 gt and i was wondering what would be better
>> about adding the second one, i know it would be a little smoother but
>> would the graphics be better?
>>
> Money. Plain and simple. It is highly unlikely you'd notice the
> difference except for benchmarks.
>
> As for adding a second one, basically trousering fools for more money.
> SLI doesn't work properly and even then, only a handful of games
> support it with a 40%-80% increase in performance. If you want dual
> card setup, look at ATI Crossfire which DOES work on all games and
> doesn't need matching cards.

Or better yet: wait.
SLI/MVP is such a new tech...it's really in it's infancy end-user wise.
Personally, I wouldn't touch it for at least six months. But really, I think
it would be best to wait until the next _next_ cards are released. And more
games offer support.

!