wrong display card ID after upgrade driver

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 19, 2005 11:02:43 AM

Strangely, after I patch the display driver from 66.93 to 71.89, the display
card info which suppose to be 6200 become downgrade to 5200? A bug? Should I
ignore it?
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 3:30:31 PM

nobody knows what went wrong?

"Rayson" <lwseong@streamyx.com> wrote in message
> Strangely, after I patch the display driver from 66.93 to 71.89, the
display
> card info which suppose to be 6200 become downgrade to 5200? A bug? Should
> ignore it?

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 3:30:32 PM

> nobody knows what went wrong?
>

> "Rayson" <lwseong@streamyx.com> wrote in message
>> Strangely, after I patch the display driver from 66.93 to 71.89, the
>> display card info which suppose to be 6200 become downgrade to 5200?
>> A bug? Should I ignore it?

No, haven't had that happen to me yet. I think I'd completely
uninstall the drivers, then select Standard PCI VGA as the video card,
reboot, then reinstall the driver set.
McG.
June 20, 2005 5:55:32 PM

i prefer not to uninstall the driver as last time, the system totally lock
up after I select uninstall Nvidia Display Driver. Can I just skip to step
by just change the driver to basic and then reinstall again? I am using
WinXP pro1b

> "Rayson" <lwseong@streamyx.com> wrote in message
> > nobody knows what went wrong?
> >

> > "Rayson" <lwseong@streamyx.com> wrote in message
> >> Strangely, after I patch the display driver from 66.93 to 71.89, the
> >> display card info which suppose to be 6200 become downgrade to 5200?
> >> A bug? Should I ignore it?
>
> No, haven't had that happen to me yet. I think I'd completely
> uninstall the drivers, then select Standard PCI VGA as the video card,
> reboot, then reinstall the driver set.
> McG.

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 2:48:03 PM

> i prefer not to uninstall the driver as last time, the system totally
> lock up after I select uninstall Nvidia Display Driver. Can I just
> skip to step by just change the driver to basic and then reinstall
> again? I am using WinXP pro1b

>> "Rayson" <lwseong@streamyx.com> wrote in message
>>> nobody knows what went wrong?
>>>

>>> "Rayson" <lwseong@streamyx.com> wrote in message
>>
>> No, haven't had that happen to me yet. I think I'd completely
>> uninstall the drivers, then select Standard PCI VGA as the video
>> card, reboot, then reinstall the driver set.
>> McG.

If selecting Standard PCI VGA then rebooting works without the lockup,
the do that. THEN uninstall the nvidia driver as it won't be in use.
Still, seems kind of a rare glitch that the nvidia driver reports the
wrong video card. I was thinking it might be due to the newer driver
possibly using bits of the older one.
McG.
!