georgebeee

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003
I've tried asheron's call 1 and 2, thought 1 was the much better of the 2. anybody else have any thoughts on any good mmporg's? and I'm not sure if I'm even interested in a game like EQ where they keep realeasing new versions which you gotta pay for unless you get the game for free with no monthly subscription

CorpusBiscuit

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
I've had fun with Anarchy Online. The first expansion (Shadowlands) comes with the full version of AO and the Notum Wars "booster pack". You can download a "free" (they still ask for a credit card number, but it isn't charged unless you decide to keep playing) seven day trial from the Anarchy Online website.

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
I'm not sure if I'm even interested in a game like EQ where they keep realeasing new versions which you gotta pay for
Yea! I hate games that are always adding new content! Screw that!

Heh I'm just busting your balls. You need to be more specific though. There are a TON of MMO's out there. You could check out Dark Age of Camelot, Lineage 2, Earth & Beyond, Horizons, Shadowbane for starters. EQ2 and World of Warcraft will show up at some point in 2004 also. I'd suggest you poke around the plethora of general MMORPG news sites.

thaloc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2002
Is there any MMPORPG with something like Diablo 2 hardcore mode (where you have one life, if you die - you stay dead :)? I think it gratly changes gameplay, if you are mortal. It is easy to be a hero if you are immortal :).
BTW I know Diablo 2 is not RPG, but its hardcore mode is what is keeping me plaiyng it... Already lost two elemental druids :p, but screw it, new trap-assasin is on the way :D.

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
Everquest just recently opened a new server with a ruleset like you describe. You can only create 1 character on the server, and once you die, you're dead; Time to start over. It was designed to promote a more fast paced MMOPVP environment. As such, experience/cash multipliers are set much higher than on normal servers, and the level cap is set to 50 instead of the max on other servers, 65. They also remove all of the expansion content on this server, limiting gameplay to just the 3 original EQ continents.

Of course, I dont play anymore so I have no idea how well this is working out. But from those I still talk to, it sounds like a hoot.

Esso

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
Earth and Beyond is descent.
I get mixed messages about SWG.
PlanetSide is fun for a month.
EQ is called ever-crack for a reason.

Don't think I've seen much more around here.

Lumathix

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
Jedi don't really "permadie" anymore.
They whined enough, so now they get 3 shots with that character. If they're deathblowed 3 times, then they have to start over as a Jedi Initiate. But they never lose their FSCS (force sensitive character slot).

<font color=blue> "Speech is silver. Silence is Golden." - Anonymous German Proverb </font color=blue>

CorpusBiscuit

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
Well thats just no fun....

By the way, there's something wrong with using "Jedi" and "whine" in the same sentence. I though they were supposed to be beyond that.

Lumathix

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
You would think so hehe.
I have a bounty hunter who's killed 2 jedi so far.
Even with all the bugs.
Anyway, both of them begged for their lives as they were flat on their backs. I probably wouldn't have spared them anyway, as I needed the credits, but if they hadnt used d00d speak and whined, I would have had more respect for them. Oh well =P

<font color=blue> "Speech is silver. Silence is Golden." - Anonymous German Proverb </font color=blue>