Attn: Powerleap Upgrade Users

Just thought I'd share my recent experience with the group. It might save
you some money and downtime.
MOBO is G/W late '99 vintage Tabor III originally fitted with Pentium III
500MHz CPU.
M/C stopped working, no display whatsoever, not even a raster, knew form the
sound that it was not booting properly.
Problem traced to insufficient cooling on the Powerleap Celeron1.4 GHz
Tualatin which I fitted a couple of years back.
If you also have this upgrade it might be worth opening the case about once
a year and vacuuming it out.
You will need to remove the fan from the CPU heatsink though and vacuum
underneath it to do a proper job.
I wish I had done so...I'm now back to 500MHZ CPU and I do notice the
difference : (
Regards
Patrick

Once a year, whether or not a PowerLeap, is sound preventative maintenance.
More often if the environment is especially dusty or dirty, or if there are dogs
and cats around. Or if the owner of the computer is moulting... Ben Myers

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 22:31:53 +0100, "Patrick E. King" <seldom@home.pek> wrote:

>Just thought I'd share my recent experience with the group. It might save
>you some money and downtime.
>MOBO is G/W late '99 vintage Tabor III originally fitted with Pentium III
>500MHz CPU.
>M/C stopped working, no display whatsoever, not even a raster, knew form the
>sound that it was not booting properly.
>Problem traced to insufficient cooling on the Powerleap Celeron1.4 GHz
>Tualatin which I fitted a couple of years back.
>If you also have this upgrade it might be worth opening the case about once
>a year and vacuuming it out.
>You will need to remove the fan from the CPU heatsink though and vacuum
>underneath it to do a proper job.
>I wish I had done so...I'm now back to 500MHZ CPU and I do notice the
>difference : (
>Regards
>Patrick

The important point though, with the Powerleap, is to remove the fan from
the CPU heatsink in order to vacuum it properly.
Patrick
> Once a year, whether or not a PowerLeap, is sound preventative
> maintenance.
> More often if the environment is especially dusty or dirty, or if there
> are dogs
> and cats around. Or if the owner of the computer is moulting... Ben Myers
>
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 22:31:53 +0100, "Patrick E. King" <seldom@home.pek>
> wrote:
>
>>Just thought I'd share my recent experience with the group. It might save
>>you some money and downtime.
>>MOBO is G/W late '99 vintage Tabor III originally fitted with Pentium III
>>500MHz CPU.
>>M/C stopped working, no display whatsoever, not even a raster, knew form
>>the
>>sound that it was not booting properly.
>>Problem traced to insufficient cooling on the Powerleap Celeron1.4 GHz
>>Tualatin which I fitted a couple of years back.
>>If you also have this upgrade it might be worth opening the case about
>>once
>>a year and vacuuming it out.
>>You will need to remove the fan from the CPU heatsink though and vacuum
>>underneath it to do a proper job.
>>I wish I had done so...I'm now back to 500MHZ CPU and I do notice the
>>difference : (
>>Regards
>>Patrick

Ed

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 01:26:38 +0100, "Patrick E. King"
<seldom@home.pek> wrote:

>The important point though, with the Powerleap, is to remove the fan from
>the CPU heatsink in order to vacuum it properly.

I had this same Powerleap upgrade on an 1999 Essential 500. I used
compressed air (Canned Air) to clean it without removing the fan &
heat sink instead of taking it all apart and vacuuming it and that
seemed to always keep it clean and cool. Now that I run White Boxes,
I still use the same method on those units without any dust or lent
left behind.

Regards,
Ed