6000 series price drop?

Hi all,

Anyone have a rough idea how long it will be before there is a significant
price drop in 6000 series of geforce cards, with the imminent release of the
7000 series, according to nvidias pricing strategy?. I am itching to order a
6600gt but dont want to be hit with a price drop shortly after purchasing!.

Thanks for any help.
14 answers Last reply
More about 6000 series price drop

    "billybronco" <none@nonenoennoene.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Anyone have a rough idea how long it will be before there is a significant
    > price drop in 6000 series of geforce cards, with the imminent release of
    > the 7000 series, according to nvidias pricing strategy?. I am itching to
    > order a 6600gt but dont want to be hit with a price drop shortly after
    > purchasing!.

    I think it's a great time to buy a 6600GT. They might drop a little in price
    in the near future but I think it will take quite some time before they fall
    to the sub-hundred level (they can be had for about $150 now). After all ATI
    still hasn't played their next-gen hand yet, so NVidia has no cause to
    release anything more. The 7800's release is really more significant as a
    marketing strategy, to steal any remaining thunder from ATI.

    In article <NQ%te.54279$G8.35506@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
    billybronco says...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Anyone have a rough idea how long it will be before there is a significant
    > price drop in 6000 series of geforce cards, with the imminent release of the
    > 7000 series, according to nvidias pricing strategy?. I am itching to order a
    > 6600gt but dont want to be hit with a price drop shortly after purchasing!.

    Forget ever buying one then. In fact, using that philosophy, forget
    buying any PC hardware.

    --
    Conor

    On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:09:54 -0400, "Gordon" <mc@msnet.com> wrote:

    >"billybronco" <none@nonenoennoene.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Anyone have a rough idea how long it will be before there is a significant
    >> price drop in 6000 series of geforce cards, with the imminent release of
    >> the 7000 series, according to nvidias pricing strategy?. I am itching to
    >> order a 6600gt but dont want to be hit with a price drop shortly after
    >> purchasing!.
    >>

    >I think it's a great time to buy a 6600GT. They might drop a little in price
    >in the near future but I think it will take quite some time before they fall
    >to the sub-hundred level (they can be had for about $150 now). After all ATI
    >still hasn't played their next-gen hand yet, so NVidia has no cause to
    >release anything more. The 7800's release is really more significant as a
    >marketing strategy, to steal any remaining thunder from ATI.

    Yes, and I suspect that a very good reason why the R520 is
    delayed is that all the top-flight Ati engineers are trying to extract
    the alligators from the Xbox360 swamp. There was ZERO Xbox360
    working hardware at Computex...everything was emulated on other
    hardware.... and 4 months to go now before shipping, so not to
    miss the Thanksgiving buying season. My guess is that either
    the release will be delayed, or quantities will be very limited and
    that major system bugs will show up in the first Xbox360s,
    requiring a recall... And this kludge claims to be HD-compatible,
    yet does not have a HD-compatible dvd-rom of any form.

    Nvidia can't relax their involvement with the PS3, but since the
    RSX chip in the PS3 is derived from the G70, then there will
    be plenty of time to develop the driver support for the RSX.
    --

    John Lewis

    "Technology early-birds always turn out to be flying guinea-pigs"

    Should be something when the 7800's become more common. Couple months is my
    guess. But still you can find a decent 6600 get for $150 to $165 now.

    "billybronco" <none@nonenoennoene.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Anyone have a rough idea how long it will be before there is a significant
    > price drop in 6000 series of geforce cards, with the imminent release of
    the
    > 7000 series, according to nvidias pricing strategy?. I am itching to order
    > 6600gt but dont want to be hit with a price drop shortly after
    purchasing!.

    > Thanks for any help.

    The 6000 series costs as much to produce as the 7000 series. Prices will
    drop only when the 6000 series becomes discontinued and retailers try to get
    rid of leftover stock...

    > And this kludge claims to be HD-compatible,
    > yet does not have a HD-compatible dvd-rom of any form.

    HD-compatible, probably means the ability to play WMV9-format video clips at
    1080p resolution, and outputing the signal to component video. Of course,
    displaying 3D content at 1920x1080 should pose no problems, either. Current
    PC hardware can do all this easily.

    Interestingly, I read somewhere the E3 demos were emulated on Macs (due to
    the similar PowerPC architecture), carefully hidden.

    > Nvidia can't relax their involvement with the PS3, but since the
    > RSX chip in the PS3 is derived from the G70, then there will
    > be plenty of time to develop the driver support for the RSX.

    I'd like to see them enjoying a smooth transition to 90 nm...

    On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:42:05 GMT, "billybronco"
    <none@nonenoennoene.com> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >Anyone have a rough idea how long it will be before there is a significant
    >price drop in 6000 series of geforce cards, with the imminent release of the
    >7000 series, according to nvidias pricing strategy?. I am itching to order a
    >6600gt but dont want to be hit with a price drop shortly after purchasing!.
    >
    >Thanks for any help.

    If you keep waiting for that ULTIMATE bargain, you may never ever get
    around to buying it.. It will either be out of date or off the
    market,, because prices will always drop, but your taste will also
    change, then all of a sudden you will be waiting for the next series
    of cards to drop in price before you buy one. You'll be thinking -
    "been here before have we??" and the answer will be YES... You'll end
    up always waiting - never buying....

    I have been there before today...

    Take the plunge and buy your 6600GT - You wont be disappointed unless
    you have owned something in the neighbourhood of a 5900 Ultra or
    similar... I moved up from a 5700 and what a difference,,, As a matter
    of fact, this is the very first time I can recall ever actually
    noticing a huge performance increase between series of cards...

    The kind of deal you are waiting for, NEVER happens in the computer
    hardware world...

    "Bruce Tyler" <top@bottom.au> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:42:05 GMT, "billybronco"
    > <none@nonenoennoene.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>Anyone have a rough idea how long it will be before there is a significant
    >>price drop in 6000 series of geforce cards, with the imminent release of
    >>the
    >>7000 series, according to nvidias pricing strategy?. I am itching to order
    >>6600gt but dont want to be hit with a price drop shortly after
    >>purchasing!.
    >>
    >>Thanks for any help.
    >>

    > If you keep waiting for that ULTIMATE bargain, you may never ever get
    > around to buying it.. It will either be out of date or off the
    > market,, because prices will always drop, but your taste will also
    > change, then all of a sudden you will be waiting for the next series
    > of cards to drop in price before you buy one. You'll be thinking -
    > "been here before have we??" and the answer will be YES... You'll end
    > up always waiting - never buying....
    >
    > I have been there before today...
    >
    > Take the plunge and buy your 6600GT - You wont be disappointed unless
    > you have owned something in the neighbourhood of a 5900 Ultra or
    > similar... I moved up from a 5700 and what a difference,,, As a matter
    > of fact, this is the very first time I can recall ever actually
    > noticing a huge performance increase between series of cards...
    >
    > The kind of deal you are waiting for, NEVER happens in the computer
    > hardware world...

    I agree wholeheartedly. My 6600GT was the best computer purchase I've made.
    There may be bigger and faster available but the bottom line is that I can
    play UT2004, Far Cry, and Doom maxxed out. You just don't realize how much
    you are missing before until you do it.

    How depressing. More so, because this is the buying strategy I'm forced to
    use. There is one small chink in your logic though: ebay. People will
    eventually ebay their old 6800 ultras and X800XT PE's when they
    upgrade...it's inevitable.

    --
    there is no .sig

    "goPostal" <none@this.time> wrote in message

    > "Bruce Tyler" <top@bottom.au> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:42:05 GMT, "billybronco"
    > > <none@nonenoennoene.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Hi all,
    > >>
    > >>Anyone have a rough idea how long it will be before there is a
    significant
    > >>price drop in 6000 series of geforce cards, with the imminent release of
    > >>the
    > >>7000 series, according to nvidias pricing strategy?. I am itching to
    order
    > >>6600gt but dont want to be hit with a price drop shortly after
    > >>purchasing!.
    > >>
    > >>Thanks for any help.
    > >>

    > > If you keep waiting for that ULTIMATE bargain, you may never ever get
    > > around to buying it.. It will either be out of date or off the
    > > market,, because prices will always drop, but your taste will also
    > > change, then all of a sudden you will be waiting for the next series
    > > of cards to drop in price before you buy one. You'll be thinking -
    > > "been here before have we??" and the answer will be YES... You'll end
    > > up always waiting - never buying....
    > >
    > > I have been there before today...
    > >
    > > Take the plunge and buy your 6600GT - You wont be disappointed unless
    > > you have owned something in the neighbourhood of a 5900 Ultra or
    > > similar... I moved up from a 5700 and what a difference,,, As a matter
    > > of fact, this is the very first time I can recall ever actually
    > > noticing a huge performance increase between series of cards...
    > >
    > > The kind of deal you are waiting for, NEVER happens in the computer
    > > hardware world...
    >
    > I agree wholeheartedly. My 6600GT was the best computer purchase I've
    made.
    > There may be bigger and faster available but the bottom line is that I can
    > play UT2004, Far Cry, and Doom maxxed out. You just don't realize how much
    > you are missing before until you do it.

    I agree the 6600GT is good bang for the buck but if you can afford better
    you will notice the difference, try running Farcry or Doom 3 on the 6600 at
    1600x1200 4x16. As for deals never happening in the computer world, I just
    picked up a brandnew unopened evga e-geforce 6800 Ultra on Ebay for less
    than the price of a 6800GT board ($435 Canadian ), the company that sold it
    didn't put a reserve on it and were probably expecting it to sell for more,
    all their new ads have a fixed price of $639 Canadian. It's a big
    improvement over my old Radeon 9800pro and should last me until my next big
    computer overhaul.

    Rob.

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 22:54:52 +1200, Bruce Tyler <top@bottom.au> wrote:

    >On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:42:05 GMT, "billybronco"
    ><none@nonenoennoene.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>Anyone have a rough idea how long it will be before there is a significant
    >>price drop in 6000 series of geforce cards, with the imminent release of the
    >>7000 series, according to nvidias pricing strategy?. I am itching to order a
    >>6600gt but dont want to be hit with a price drop shortly after purchasing!.
    >>
    >>Thanks for any help.
    >>

    >If you keep waiting for that ULTIMATE bargain, you may never ever get
    >around to buying it.. It will either be out of date or off the
    >market,, because prices will always drop, but your taste will also
    >change, then all of a sudden you will be waiting for the next series
    >of cards to drop in price before you buy one. You'll be thinking -
    >"been here before have we??" and the answer will be YES... You'll end
    >up always waiting - never buying....
    >
    >I have been there before today...
    >
    >Take the plunge and buy your 6600GT - You wont be disappointed unless
    >you have owned something in the neighbourhood of a 5900 Ultra or
    >similar...

    The GF 6600GT is even better tnan a 5900 Ultra if you look at some of the
    bench marks posted on a few web sites..

    > I moved up from a 5700 and what a difference,,, As a matter
    >of fact, this is the very first time I can recall ever actually
    >noticing a huge performance increase between series of cards...
    >
    >The kind of deal you are waiting for, NEVER happens in the computer
    >hardware world...
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Bruce Tyler" <top@bottom.au> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:42:05 GMT, "billybronco"
    > <none@nonenoennoene.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>Anyone have a rough idea how long it will be before there is a significant
    >>price drop in 6000 series of geforce cards, with the imminent release of
    >>the
    >>7000 series, according to nvidias pricing strategy?. I am itching to order
    >>6600gt but dont want to be hit with a price drop shortly after
    >>purchasing!.
    >>
    >>Thanks for any help.
    >>

    > If you keep waiting for that ULTIMATE bargain, you may never ever get
    > around to buying it.. It will either be out of date or off the
    > market,, because prices will always drop, but your taste will also
    > change, then all of a sudden you will be waiting for the next series
    > of cards to drop in price before you buy one. You'll be thinking -
    > "been here before have we??" and the answer will be YES... You'll end
    > up always waiting - never buying....
    >
    > I have been there before today...
    >
    > Take the plunge and buy your 6600GT - You wont be disappointed unless
    > you have owned something in the neighbourhood of a 5900 Ultra or
    > similar... I moved up from a 5700 and what a difference,,, As a matter
    > of fact, this is the very first time I can recall ever actually
    > noticing a huge performance increase between series of cards...
    >
    > The kind of deal you are waiting for, NEVER happens in the computer
    > hardware world...

    That's so true - I kept putting off buying or even looking for a decent
    6800GT thinking 'no i'll wait until the 7000 series is out' - but now it
    totally doesn't matter as they don't appear to support AGP at this time. And
    I realise they'll be way expensive in their own right! So it doesn't matter
    whether I buy a 6800GT now, or later, I'll still buy one. There's not much
    difference between it and an Ultra too....so it's not such a big deal to
    wait and wait and wait for that 'perfect' deal.
    Good advice!
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Some "value" version of the 7800 will appear long before the X800XT PE gets
    cheap on eBay...

    "Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > use. There is one small chink in your logic though: ebay. People will
    > eventually ebay their old 6800 ultras and X800XT PE's when they
    > upgrade...it's inevitable.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 22:54:52 +1200, Bruce Tyler <top@bottom.au> wrote:

    >On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:42:05 GMT, "billybronco"
    ><none@nonenoennoene.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>Anyone have a rough idea how long it will be before there is a significant
    >>price drop in 6000 series of geforce cards, with the imminent release of the
    >>7000 series, according to nvidias pricing strategy?. I am itching to order a
    >>6600gt but dont want to be hit with a price drop shortly after purchasing!.
    >>
    >>Thanks for any help.
    >>

    >If you keep waiting for that ULTIMATE bargain, you may never ever get
    >around to buying it.. It will either be out of date or off the
    >market,, because prices will always drop, but your taste will also
    >change, then all of a sudden you will be waiting for the next series
    >of cards to drop in price before you buy one. You'll be thinking -
    >"been here before have we??" and the answer will be YES... You'll end
    >up always waiting - never buying....
    >
    >I have been there before today...
    >
    >Take the plunge and buy your 6600GT - You wont be disappointed unless
    >you have owned something in the neighbourhood of a 5900 Ultra or
    >similar... I moved up from a 5700 and what a difference,,, As a matter
    >of fact, this is the very first time I can recall ever actually
    >noticing a huge performance increase between series of cards...

    What about moving from an ati 9800pro 128mbs???
    Is this card to clause for that move?

    >The kind of deal you are waiting for, NEVER happens in the computer
    >hardware world...

Nvidia Geforce Graphics