6000 series price drop?

Hi all,

Anyone have a rough idea how long it will be before there is a significant
price drop in 6000 series of geforce cards, with the imminent release of the
7000 series, according to nvidias pricing strategy?. I am itching to order a
6600gt but dont want to be hit with a price drop shortly after purchasing!.

Thanks for any help.

Gordon

"billybronco" <none@nonenoennoene.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Anyone have a rough idea how long it will be before there is a significant
> price drop in 6000 series of geforce cards, with the imminent release of
> the 7000 series, according to nvidias pricing strategy?. I am itching to
> order a 6600gt but dont want to be hit with a price drop shortly after
> purchasing!.

I think it's a great time to buy a 6600GT. They might drop a little in price
in the near future but I think it will take quite some time before they fall
to the sub-hundred level (they can be had for about $150 now). After all ATI
still hasn't played their next-gen hand yet, so NVidia has no cause to
release anything more. The 7800's release is really more significant as a
marketing strategy, to steal any remaining thunder from ATI.

In article <NQ%te.54279$G8.35506@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
billybronco says...
> Hi all,
>
> Anyone have a rough idea how long it will be before there is a significant
> price drop in 6000 series of geforce cards, with the imminent release of the
> 7000 series, according to nvidias pricing strategy?. I am itching to order a
> 6600gt but dont want to be hit with a price drop shortly after purchasing!.

Forget ever buying one then. In fact, using that philosophy, forget
buying any PC hardware.

--
Conor

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:09:54 -0400, "Gordon" <mc@msnet.com> wrote:

>"billybronco" <none@nonenoennoene.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Anyone have a rough idea how long it will be before there is a significant
>> price drop in 6000 series of geforce cards, with the imminent release of
>> the 7000 series, according to nvidias pricing strategy?. I am itching to
>> order a 6600gt but dont want to be hit with a price drop shortly after
>> purchasing!.
>>

>I think it's a great time to buy a 6600GT. They might drop a little in price
>in the near future but I think it will take quite some time before they fall
>to the sub-hundred level (they can be had for about $150 now). After all ATI
>still hasn't played their next-gen hand yet, so NVidia has no cause to
>release anything more. The 7800's release is really more significant as a
>marketing strategy, to steal any remaining thunder from ATI.

Yes, and I suspect that a very good reason why the R520 is
delayed is that all the top-flight Ati engineers are trying to extract
the alligators from the Xbox360 swamp. There was ZERO Xbox360
working hardware at Computex...everything was emulated on other
hardware.... and 4 months to go now before shipping, so not to
miss the Thanksgiving buying season. My guess is that either
the release will be delayed, or quantities will be very limited and
that major system bugs will show up in the first Xbox360s,
requiring a recall... And this kludge claims to be HD-compatible,
yet does not have a HD-compatible dvd-rom of any form.

Nvidia can't relax their involvement with the PS3, but since the
RSX chip in the PS3 is derived from the G70, then there will
be plenty of time to develop the driver support for the RSX.
--

John Lewis

"Technology early-birds always turn out to be flying guinea-pigs"

Should be something when the 7800's become more common. Couple months is my
guess. But still you can find a decent 6600 get for $150 to $165 now.

"billybronco" <none@nonenoennoene.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Anyone have a rough idea how long it will be before there is a significant
> price drop in 6000 series of geforce cards, with the imminent release of
the
> 7000 series, according to nvidias pricing strategy?. I am itching to order
> 6600gt but dont want to be hit with a price drop shortly after
purchasing!.

> Thanks for any help.

The 6000 series costs as much to produce as the 7000 series. Prices will
drop only when the 6000 series becomes discontinued and retailers try to get
rid of leftover stock...

> And this kludge claims to be HD-compatible,
> yet does not have a HD-compatible dvd-rom of any form.

HD-compatible, probably means the ability to play WMV9-format video clips at
1080p resolution, and outputing the signal to component video. Of course,
displaying 3D content at 1920x1080 should pose no problems, either. Current
PC hardware can do all this easily.

Interestingly, I read somewhere the E3 demos were emulated on Macs (due to
the similar PowerPC architecture), carefully hidden.

> Nvidia can't relax their involvement with the PS3, but since the
> RSX chip in the PS3 is derived from the G70, then there will
> be plenty of time to develop the driver support for the RSX.

I'd like to see them enjoying a smooth transition to 90 nm...

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:42:05 GMT, "billybronco"
<none@nonenoennoene.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Anyone have a rough idea how long it will be before there is a significant
>price drop in 6000 series of geforce cards, with the imminent release of the
>7000 series, according to nvidias pricing strategy?. I am itching to order a
>6600gt but dont want to be hit with a price drop shortly after purchasing!.
>
>Thanks for any help.

If you keep waiting for that ULTIMATE bargain, you may never ever get
around to buying it.. It will either be out of date or off the
market,, because prices will always drop, but your taste will also
change, then all of a sudden you will be waiting for the next series
of cards to drop in price before you buy one. You'll be thinking -
"been here before have we??" and the answer will be YES... You'll end
up always waiting - never buying....

I have been there before today...

Take the plunge and buy your 6600GT - You wont be disappointed unless
you have owned something in the neighbourhood of a 5900 Ultra or
similar... I moved up from a 5700 and what a difference,,, As a matter
of fact, this is the very first time I can recall ever actually
noticing a huge performance increase between series of cards...

The kind of deal you are waiting for, NEVER happens in the computer
hardware world...

"Bruce Tyler" <top@bottom.au> wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:42:05 GMT, "billybronco"
> <none@nonenoennoene.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>Anyone have a rough idea how long it will be before there is a significant
>>price drop in 6000 series of geforce cards, with the imminent release of
>>the
>>7000 series, according to nvidias pricing strategy?. I am itching to order
>>6600gt but dont want to be hit with a price drop shortly after
>>purchasing!.
>>
>>Thanks for any help.
>>

> If you keep waiting for that ULTIMATE bargain, you may never ever get
> around to buying it.. It will either be out of date or off the
> market,, because prices will always drop, but your taste will also
> change, then all of a sudden you will be waiting for the next series
> of cards to drop in price before you buy one. You'll be thinking -
> "been here before have we??" and the answer will be YES... You'll end
> up always waiting - never buying....
>
> I have been there before today...
>
> Take the plunge and buy your 6600GT - You wont be disappointed unless
> you have owned something in the neighbourhood of a 5900 Ultra or
> similar... I moved up from a 5700 and what a difference,,, As a matter
> of fact, this is the very first time I can recall ever actually
> noticing a huge performance increase between series of cards...
>
> The kind of deal you are waiting for, NEVER happens in the computer
> hardware world...

I agree wholeheartedly. My 6600GT was the best computer purchase I've made.
There may be bigger and faster available but the bottom line is that I can
play UT2004, Far Cry, and Doom maxxed out. You just don't realize how much
you are missing before until you do it.

How depressing. More so, because this is the buying strategy I'm forced to
use. There is one small beloved patriot in your logic though: ebay. People will
eventually ebay their old 6800 ultras and X800XT PE's when they
upgrade...it's inevitable.

--
there is no .sig
"Bruce Tyler" <top@bottom.au> wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:42:05 GMT, "billybronco"
> <none@nonenoennoene.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>Anyone have a rough idea how long it will be before there is a significant
>>price drop in 6000 series of geforce cards, with the imminent release of
>>the
>>7000 series, according to nvidias pricing strategy?. I am itching to order
>>6600gt but dont want to be hit with a price drop shortly after
>>purchasing!.
>>
>>Thanks for any help.
>>

> If you keep waiting for that ULTIMATE bargain, you may never ever get
> around to buying it.. It will either be out of date or off the
> market,, because prices will always drop, but your taste will also
> change, then all of a sudden you will be waiting for the next series
> of cards to drop in price before you buy one. You'll be thinking -
> "been here before have we??" and the answer will be YES... You'll end
> up always waiting - never buying....
>
> I have been there before today...
>
> Take the plunge and buy your 6600GT - You wont be disappointed unless
> you have owned something in the neighbourhood of a 5900 Ultra or
> similar... I moved up from a 5700 and what a difference,,, As a matter
> of fact, this is the very first time I can recall ever actually
> noticing a huge performance increase between series of cards...
>
> The kind of deal you are waiting for, NEVER happens in the computer
> hardware world...

Mustafa

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004

"goPostal" <none@this.time> wrote in message

> "Bruce Tyler" <top@bottom.au> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:42:05 GMT, "billybronco"
> > <none@nonenoennoene.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Hi all,
> >>
> >>Anyone have a rough idea how long it will be before there is a
significant
> >>price drop in 6000 series of geforce cards, with the imminent release of
> >>the
> >>7000 series, according to nvidias pricing strategy?. I am itching to
order
> >>6600gt but dont want to be hit with a price drop shortly after
> >>purchasing!.
> >>
> >>Thanks for any help.
> >>

> > If you keep waiting for that ULTIMATE bargain, you may never ever get
> > around to buying it.. It will either be out of date or off the
> > market,, because prices will always drop, but your taste will also
> > change, then all of a sudden you will be waiting for the next series
> > of cards to drop in price before you buy one. You'll be thinking -
> > "been here before have we??" and the answer will be YES... You'll end
> > up always waiting - never buying....
> >
> > I have been there before today...
> >
> > Take the plunge and buy your 6600GT - You wont be disappointed unless
> > you have owned something in the neighbourhood of a 5900 Ultra or
> > similar... I moved up from a 5700 and what a difference,,, As a matter
> > of fact, this is the very first time I can recall ever actually
> > noticing a huge performance increase between series of cards...
> >
> > The kind of deal you are waiting for, NEVER happens in the computer
> > hardware world...
>
> I agree wholeheartedly. My 6600GT was the best computer purchase I've
made.
> There may be bigger and faster available but the bottom line is that I can
> play UT2004, Far Cry, and Doom maxxed out. You just don't realize how much
> you are missing before until you do it.

I agree the 6600GT is good bang for the buck but if you can afford better
you will notice the difference, try running Farcry or Doom 3 on the 6600 at
1600x1200 4x16. As for deals never happening in the computer world, I just
picked up a brandnew unopened evga e-geforce 6800 Ultra on Ebay for less
than the price of a 6800GT board ($435 Canadian ), the company that sold it
didn't put a reserve on it and were probably expecting it to sell for more,
all their new ads have a fixed price of $639 Canadian. It's a big
improvement over my old Radeon 9800pro and should last me until my next big
computer overhaul.

Rob.

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 22:54:52 +1200, Bruce Tyler <top@bottom.au> wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:42:05 GMT, "billybronco"
><none@nonenoennoene.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>Anyone have a rough idea how long it will be before there is a significant
>>price drop in 6000 series of geforce cards, with the imminent release of the
>>7000 series, according to nvidias pricing strategy?. I am itching to order a
>>6600gt but dont want to be hit with a price drop shortly after purchasing!.
>>
>>Thanks for any help.
>>

>If you keep waiting for that ULTIMATE bargain, you may never ever get
>around to buying it.. It will either be out of date or off the
>market,, because prices will always drop, but your taste will also
>change, then all of a sudden you will be waiting for the next series
>of cards to drop in price before you buy one. You'll be thinking -
>"been here before have we??" and the answer will be YES... You'll end
>up always waiting - never buying....
>
>I have been there before today...
>
>Take the plunge and buy your 6600GT - You wont be disappointed unless
>you have owned something in the neighbourhood of a 5900 Ultra or
>similar...

The GF 6600GT is even better tnan a 5900 Ultra if you look at some of the
bench marks posted on a few web sites..

> I moved up from a 5700 and what a difference,,, As a matter
>of fact, this is the very first time I can recall ever actually
>noticing a huge performance increase between series of cards...
>
>The kind of deal you are waiting for, NEVER happens in the computer
>hardware world...

"Bruce Tyler" <top@bottom.au> wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:42:05 GMT, "billybronco"
> <none@nonenoennoene.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>Anyone have a rough idea how long it will be before there is a significant
>>price drop in 6000 series of geforce cards, with the imminent release of
>>the
>>7000 series, according to nvidias pricing strategy?. I am itching to order
>>6600gt but dont want to be hit with a price drop shortly after
>>purchasing!.
>>
>>Thanks for any help.
>>

> If you keep waiting for that ULTIMATE bargain, you may never ever get
> around to buying it.. It will either be out of date or off the
> market,, because prices will always drop, but your taste will also
> change, then all of a sudden you will be waiting for the next series
> of cards to drop in price before you buy one. You'll be thinking -
> "been here before have we??" and the answer will be YES... You'll end
> up always waiting - never buying....
>
> I have been there before today...
>
> Take the plunge and buy your 6600GT - You wont be disappointed unless
> you have owned something in the neighbourhood of a 5900 Ultra or
> similar... I moved up from a 5700 and what a difference,,, As a matter
> of fact, this is the very first time I can recall ever actually
> noticing a huge performance increase between series of cards...
>
> The kind of deal you are waiting for, NEVER happens in the computer
> hardware world...

That's so true - I kept putting off buying or even looking for a decent
6800GT thinking 'no i'll wait until the 7000 series is out' - but now it
totally doesn't matter as they don't appear to support AGP at this time. And
I realise they'll be way expensive in their own right! So it doesn't matter
whether I buy a 6800GT now, or later, I'll still buy one. There's not much
difference between it and an Ultra too....so it's not such a big deal to
wait and wait and wait for that 'perfect' deal.
Good advice!

Some "value" version of the 7800 will appear long before the X800XT PE gets
cheap on eBay...

"Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
> use. There is one small beloved patriot in your logic though: ebay. People will
> eventually ebay their old 6800 ultras and X800XT PE's when they
> upgrade...it's inevitable.

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 22:54:52 +1200, Bruce Tyler <top@bottom.au> wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:42:05 GMT, "billybronco"
><none@nonenoennoene.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>Anyone have a rough idea how long it will be before there is a significant
>>price drop in 6000 series of geforce cards, with the imminent release of the
>>7000 series, according to nvidias pricing strategy?. I am itching to order a
>>6600gt but dont want to be hit with a price drop shortly after purchasing!.
>>
>>Thanks for any help.
>>

>If you keep waiting for that ULTIMATE bargain, you may never ever get
>around to buying it.. It will either be out of date or off the
>market,, because prices will always drop, but your taste will also
>change, then all of a sudden you will be waiting for the next series
>of cards to drop in price before you buy one. You'll be thinking -
>"been here before have we??" and the answer will be YES... You'll end
>up always waiting - never buying....
>
>I have been there before today...
>
>Take the plunge and buy your 6600GT - You wont be disappointed unless
>you have owned something in the neighbourhood of a 5900 Ultra or
>similar... I moved up from a 5700 and what a difference,,, As a matter
>of fact, this is the very first time I can recall ever actually
>noticing a huge performance increase between series of cards...

What about moving from an ati 9800pro 128mbs???
Is this card to clause for that move?