GF 7800 AGP

Ivan wrote:

" will there be any (soon)? "

Nothing has been officially announced yet, but the chances are that
there will be an AGP version to follow.
http://gear.ign.com/articles/628/628012p1.html

I see The Inquirer stating it uses less power than a 6800 Ultra, which
is good news indeed. http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24122

Early on many expected the 7800 to be a 90nm GPU, but that hope was
dispelled soon after the first spec details were released. Now it is
claimed that a 90nm 7800 Ultra might follow soon, depending on ATI's
next move. I'm wondering if Nvidia have been having similar problems to
those Intel went through, and that a 90nm part might not arrive until
well into 2006.

Depends on demand. If a card manufacturer is selling PCIe cards as fast as
it can produce them, then there won't be a need for the AGP version.

BTW, a PCIe motherboard costs little compared to what you have to pay to get
a 7800GTX right now.

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 16:00:19 +0100, Cuzman <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com>
wrote:

>Ivan wrote:
>
>" will there be any (soon)? "
>

>Nothing has been officially announced yet, but the chances are that
>there will be an AGP version to follow.
>http://gear.ign.com/articles/628/628012p1.html
>
>I see The Inquirer stating it uses less power than a 6800 Ultra, which
>is good news indeed. http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=24122
>
>Early on many expected the 7800 to be a 90nm GPU, but that hope was
>dispelled soon after the first spec details were released. Now it is
>claimed that a 90nm 7800 Ultra might follow soon, depending on ATI's
>next move. I'm wondering if Nvidia have been having similar problems to
>those Intel went through, and that a 90nm part might not arrive until
>well into 2006.

A nVidia 90nm part will arrive in the PS3, fabricated by Sony.

It seems that nVidia did some clever power management on the chip
(110nm process at TSMC), and the yields on the part obviously turned
out to be good. It has roughly the same die size as the 130nm 6800
Ultra chip and the power consumption is less.

A great compromise between functionality, power-consumption,
and the yielded cost-per-die which will probably be the same
( to nVidia !) as the 6800U chip. Higher profit margin, more gravy
for nVidia.
--

John Lewis

"Technology early-birds always turn out to be flying guinea-pigs"

"Ivan" <en@st.htnet.hr> wrote in message news:d9bqqf$jnj$1@ss405.t-com.hr...
> will there be any (soon)?

AFAIA there won't be any. Ever.

In all the product specifications I've seen so far (ok, so it's only
probably four or five - and they'd all just be copying what they've got from
nVidia so far) only PCI-Express is supported.

Makes it easier for me, tho! Now I have a *real* reason to not waste my
money on a 7800 and I can feel secure buying a 6800GT....silly silly me.

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:40:01 +1000, Dragoncarer wrote:

> "Ivan" <en@st.htnet.hr> wrote in message news:d9bqqf$jnj$1@ss405.t-com.hr...
>> will there be any (soon)?
>>

> AFAIA there won't be any. Ever.
>
> In all the product specifications I've seen so far (ok, so it's only
> probably four or five - and they'd all just be copying what they've got from
> nVidia so far) only PCI-Express is supported.
>
> Makes it easier for me, tho! Now I have a *real* reason to not waste my
> money on a 7800 and I can feel secure buying a 6800GT....silly silly me.

I agree if a person is using AGP, then they most likely will not have the
fastest cpu anyway. Why waste money on a card that is cpu limited? Then
you have the power consumption to contend with, how many dual sli AGP
motherboards do you see? None, so do your self a favor and pick up a 6600
gt AGP and learn to like it, or upgrade to a different motherboard that
supports pci-e.

The only reason I see a need for a 7800 agp card is if they no longer make
the 6600 line. Then you might see something like a 7800 AGP card, but as
long as their is still supply of 6600 line, then I can not honestly see
the newer cards use AGP.

Gnu_Raiz

Dragoncarer wrote:

> AFAIA there won't be any. Ever.

How can You be sure about that?

> In all the product specifications I've seen so far (ok, so it's only
> probably four or five - and they'd all just be copying what they've
> got from nVidia so far) only PCI-Express is supported.

That simply means that the GPU is only produced with PCIe interface. It
does _not_ mean there won't be an AGP version since all OEMs can use
Nvidias PCIe-AGP bridge chip to make an AGP 7800...

Benjamin

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

I don't believe that. You can buy a Athlon64 939 pin Nforce3 motherboard
with an agp slot. I think Nvidia will release the 7800 series with a bridge
chip on it. Why not? There is money to be made there.

DaveL

"Gnu_Raiz" <Gnu_Raiz@uptime.notlost.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:40:01 +1000, Dragoncarer wrote:
>

>> "Ivan" <en@st.htnet.hr> wrote in message
>>> will there be any (soon)?
>>>

>> AFAIA there won't be any. Ever.
>>
>> In all the product specifications I've seen so far (ok, so it's only
>> probably four or five - and they'd all just be copying what they've got
>> from
>> nVidia so far) only PCI-Express is supported.
>>
>> Makes it easier for me, tho! Now I have a *real* reason to not waste my
>> money on a 7800 and I can feel secure buying a 6800GT....silly silly me.
>
> I agree if a person is using AGP, then they most likely will not have the
> fastest cpu anyway. Why waste money on a card that is cpu limited? Then
> you have the power consumption to contend with, how many dual sli AGP
> motherboards do you see? None, so do your self a favor and pick up a 6600
> gt AGP and learn to like it, or upgrade to a different motherboard that
> supports pci-e.
>
> The only reason I see a need for a 7800 agp card is if they no longer make
> the 6600 line. Then you might see something like a 7800 AGP card, but as
> long as their is still supply of 6600 line, then I can not honestly see
> the newer cards use AGP.
>
> Gnu_Raiz

Ivan

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

"Gnu_Raiz" <Gnu_Raiz@uptime.notlost.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:40:01 +1000, Dragoncarer wrote:
>

>> "Ivan" <en@st.htnet.hr> wrote in message
>>> will there be any (soon)?
>>>

>> AFAIA there won't be any. Ever.
>>
>> In all the product specifications I've seen so far (ok, so it's only
>> probably four or five - and they'd all just be copying what they've got
>> from
>> nVidia so far) only PCI-Express is supported.
>>
>> Makes it easier for me, tho! Now I have a *real* reason to not waste my
>> money on a 7800 and I can feel secure buying a 6800GT....silly silly me.
>
> I agree if a person is using AGP, then they most likely will not have the
> fastest cpu anyway. Why waste money on a card that is cpu limited? Then
> you have the power consumption to contend with, how many dual sli AGP
> motherboards do you see? None, so do your self a favor and pick up a 6600
> gt AGP and learn to like it, or upgrade to a different motherboard that
> supports pci-e.
>
> The only reason I see a need for a 7800 agp card is if they no longer make
> the 6600 line. Then you might see something like a 7800 AGP card, but as
> long as their is still supply of 6600 line, then I can not honestly see
> the newer cards use AGP.
>
> Gnu_Raiz

The fastest socket-754 Ahtlon is 3700+ which is not something to sneeze at.

Hence, an AGP GF 7800 would come in quite handy!

Gnu_Raiz <Gnu_Raiz@uptime.notlost.net> wrote:

> I agree if a person is using AGP, then they most likely will not have
> the fastest cpu anyway.

I disagree. A Xeon SMP desktop system will almost certainly have PCI,
PCI-X and AGP, but not PCIe.

Regards,
--
*Art

This isn't necessarily true. A Rage3d mod went from a 9800 pro to a 6800 GT
and saw a HUGE perf difference (in HL2 and Doom3) even though he's only
running an Athlon XP 3200. It also depends on the game.

--
there is no .sig
"Gnu_Raiz" <Gnu_Raiz@uptime.notlost.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:40:01 +1000, Dragoncarer wrote:
>

>> "Ivan" <en@st.htnet.hr> wrote in message
>>> will there be any (soon)?
>>>

>> AFAIA there won't be any. Ever.
>>
>> In all the product specifications I've seen so far (ok, so it's only
>> probably four or five - and they'd all just be copying what they've got
>> from
>> nVidia so far) only PCI-Express is supported.
>>
>> Makes it easier for me, tho! Now I have a *real* reason to not waste my
>> money on a 7800 and I can feel secure buying a 6800GT....silly silly me.
>
> I agree if a person is using AGP, then they most likely will not have the
> fastest cpu anyway. Why waste money on a card that is cpu limited? Then
> you have the power consumption to contend with, how many dual sli AGP
> motherboards do you see? None, so do your self a favor and pick up a 6600
> gt AGP and learn to like it, or upgrade to a different motherboard that
> supports pci-e.
>
> The only reason I see a need for a 7800 agp card is if they no longer make
> the 6600 line. Then you might see something like a 7800 AGP card, but as
> long as their is still supply of 6600 line, then I can not honestly see
> the newer cards use AGP.
>
> Gnu_Raiz

Let me do some quick calculations based on a worst-case scenario: If you
presently have an AGP, socket A system (like me), I'd have to buy,
minimally, not only a new CPU&motherboard (maybe $224 [939 w/athlon 64 3000
rev. E] according to pricewatch) but a NEW video card as well because your
AGP card ain't gonna work. Since I've got a 9800 Pro, I'd have to shell out
at least $110 to get a video card to replace my 9800 Pro this would easily
jack the price into the $350.00 range. I don't know if an Athlon 64 3000
rev. E would outpower my present system (mobile athlon @ 2580), but you're
right.

Video cards have become outrageously expensive. How much did 3dFX-based
vid-cards cost when they didn't have any real competition?

--
there is no .sig
> Depends on demand. If a card manufacturer is selling PCIe cards as fast as
> it can produce them, then there won't be a need for the AGP version.
>
> BTW, a PCIe motherboard costs little compared to what you have to pay to
> get a 7800GTX right now.

> "Ivan" <en@st.htnet.hr> wrote in message
>> will there be any (soon)?

If you have a Socket A CPU, you have no business running a GF7800. :) In
any case, the mobile Athlon @ 2580 MHz is about as fast as an A64 3000+.

For someone currently running a S939 A64 CPU and an AGP motherboard, trying
to run the GF7800 will entail buying the video card and a PCIe motherboard.
Both the CPU and RAM can be carried over.

"Doug" <pigdos@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Let me do some quick calculations based on a worst-case scenario: If you
> presently have an AGP, socket A system (like me), I'd have to buy,
> minimally, not only a new CPU&motherboard (maybe $224 [939 w/athlon 64
> 3000 rev. E] according to pricewatch) but a NEW video card as well because
> your AGP card ain't gonna work. Since I've got a 9800 Pro, I'd have to
> shell out at least $110 to get a video card to replace my 9800 Pro this
> would easily jack the price into the $350.00 range. I don't know if an
> Athlon 64 3000 rev. E would outpower my present system (mobile athlon @
> 2580), but you're right.
>
> Video cards have become outrageously expensive. How much did 3dFX-based
> vid-cards cost when they didn't have any real competition?

I think it's a matter of economics - that is sooner or later, a manufacturer
has to make a decision not to support any "legacy" devices which AGP will
eventually be, although it could be quite a while for sure. It's probably
just cheaper to support only the one form factor - PCIe... IMHO
> Depends on demand. If a card manufacturer is selling PCIe cards as fast as
> it can produce them, then there won't be a need for the AGP version.
>
> BTW, a PCIe motherboard costs little compared to what you have to pay to
> get a 7800GTX right now.

> "Ivan" <en@st.htnet.hr> wrote in message
>> will there be any (soon)?

At least in the near future, it's might become a matter of supply. A card
manufacturer will only be able to obtain a limited number of 7800 chips,
with perhaps a large backlog of orders for PCIe cards. In this scenario, the
only incentive for the manufacturer to produce AGP cards is if they can
command higher margins (i.e. more expensive AGP cards).

BTW, card production is not like automobile manufacturing. There is a great
deal of flexibility on the lines. Some facilities switch amongst different
designs on a daily basis (e.g. 6800 on one day, MX440 on another) without
significant expense. However, apparently the $5 extra for the AGP bridge
chip concerns many card-makers...

Gnu_Raiz wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:40:01 +1000, Dragoncarer wrote:

> I agree if a person is using AGP, then they most likely will not have the
> fastest cpu anyway. Why waste money on a card that is cpu limited? Then
> you have the power consumption to contend with, how many dual sli AGP
> motherboards do you see? None, so do your self a favor and pick up a 6600
> gt AGP and learn to like it, or upgrade to a different motherboard that
> supports pci-e.
>
> The only reason I see a need for a 7800 agp card is if they no longer make
> the 6600 line. Then you might see something like a 7800 AGP card, but as
> long as their is still supply of 6600 line, then I can not honestly see
> the newer cards use AGP.

That's just not true. When did PCIe come to the AMD side of things? How
much faster have Athlons gotten in that time? Or Pentiums for that
matter? I upgraded my system this winter, have an AGP mb and an Athlon64
3400+, PCIe wasn't yet an AMD option, and is that a slow processor
today? And how much faster is the 7800? Marginally, there's not a lot
more there than more pipes and a mild speed bump. So if you drop that
into a faster AGP system and you will get better performance, mostly
meaning you can probably run higher resolutions on the lastest games
than you could on a 6000 series card. I would think someone running a
~2.5GHz-class proc and a GF5000/Radeon9000-class video card would see a
real performance gain as well, although it might be overkill and they
wouldn't likely upgrade immediately when these things are running at
$600. In any case, not putting out an AGP version just cuts off a big
chunk of the upgrade market for nVidia, and I doubt that they'd do that.
People with PCie setups are unlikely to be upgrading at this point,
having just paid off their current stuff.

Arthur Hagen wrote:

> I disagree. A Xeon SMP desktop system will almost certainly have PCI,
> PCI-X and AGP, but not PCIe.

Well, even today all XEON SMP workstations from the big manufacturers
already have no AGP any more but PCIe with some PCI-X slots...

AGP machines are already outdated...

Benjamin

Arthur Hagen wrote:
> Gnu_Raiz <Gnu_Raiz@uptime.notlost.net> wrote:
>
>>I agree if a person is using AGP, then they most likely will not have
>>the fastest cpu anyway.
>

> I disagree. A Xeon SMP desktop system will almost certainly have PCI,
> PCI-X and AGP, but not PCIe.

and such a config will soon be way outdated. and the overall demand for
workstation AGP would be even smaller than games AGP. and who says Xeon
is the fastest CPU...? ;)

gimp <anonymous@smeg.com> wrote:
> Arthur Hagen wrote:
>> Gnu_Raiz <Gnu_Raiz@uptime.notlost.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I agree if a person is using AGP, then they most likely will not
>>> have the fastest cpu anyway.
>>

>> I disagree. A Xeon SMP desktop system will almost certainly have
>> PCI, PCI-X and AGP, but not PCIe.
>

> and such a config will soon be way outdated. and the overall demand
> for workstation AGP would be even smaller than games AGP. and who
> says Xeon is the fastest CPU...? ;)

A single Xeon isn't that fast (faster than a P4 at the same clock speed,
though), but you can put four of them in one box and still have x86
compatibility.

Regards,
--
*Art

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 06:10:29 -0700, Mark N wrote:

> Gnu_Raiz wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:40:01 +1000, Dragoncarer wrote:

<snip>
>> The only reason I see a need for a 7800 agp card is if they no longer make
>> the 6600 line. Then you might see something like a 7800 AGP card, but as
>> long as their is still supply of 6600 line, then I can not honestly see
>> the newer cards use AGP.
>
> That's just not true. When did PCIe come to the AMD side of things? How
> much faster have Athlons gotten in that time? Or Pentiums for that
> matter? I upgraded my system this winter, have an AGP mb and an Athlon64
> 3400+, PCIe wasn't yet an AMD option, and is that a slow processor
> today? And how much faster is the 7800? Marginally, there's not a lot
> more there than more pipes and a mild speed bump. So if you drop that
> into a faster AGP system and you will get better performance, mostly
> meaning you can probably run higher resolutions on the lastest games
> than you could on a 6000 series card. I would think someone running a
> ~2.5GHz-class proc and a GF5000/Radeon9000-class video card would see a
> real performance gain as well, although it might be overkill and they
> wouldn't likely upgrade immediately when these things are running at
> $600. In any case, not putting out an AGP version just cuts off a big
> chunk of the upgrade market for nVidia, and I doubt that they'd do that.
> People with PCie setups are unlikely to be upgrading at this point,
> having just paid off their current stuff.

Even if Nvidia releases a 7800 AGP version, your going to be CPU limited!
My advice still stands using a 6600 GT AGP version will be a good choice,
if your that worried about performance, buy the 6800 ultra, even at that
your somewhat cpu limited, it also depends on your RAM, I hope you have
nice low latency ram to improve your overall system response speed. If a
person is going to drop big money on a 7800, why not afford the 80 bucks,
for a PCI-e motherboard? This is a storm in a tea cup, most serious gamers
have moved to PCI-e anyway with sli. Another important aspect is most agp
amd motherboards are not dual core capable anyway, unless its a socket 940
board. Most socket 940 boards use ecc buffered ram, which as we all know
is a killer if your a serious gamer due to latency.

Also Nvidia mentioned that they will still make the 6600 chipsets, for a
while yet, so the price drop on 7800 cards might not happen for a long
time. Rumor has it if you wait tell fall the price of sli motherboards
might be reduced due to xfire, so right now what a good nv4 board costs
might be the price of a good sli board in a few months. If anyone is
serious about buying a new motherboard they would be smart to buy a PCI-e
board.

Gnu_Raiz

Arthur Hagen wrote:
> A single Xeon isn't that fast (faster than a P4 at the same clock speed,
> though), but you can put four of them in one box and still have x86
> compatibility.

but for practically all desktop tasks, games and 3D apps, 3 of those
procs arn't used. 3D rendering or database thingamijiggers might find a
use for them... but those cpu-bound market's arn't exactly going to
dictate the direction of a graphics card interface..

Gnu_Raiz wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 06:10:29 -0700, Mark N wrote:

>>That's just not true. When did PCIe come to the AMD side of things? How
>>much faster have Athlons gotten in that time? Or Pentiums for that
>>matter? I upgraded my system this winter, have an AGP mb and an Athlon64
>>3400+, PCIe wasn't yet an AMD option, and is that a slow processor
>>today? And how much faster is the 7800? Marginally, there's not a lot
>>more there than more pipes and a mild speed bump. So if you drop that
>>into a faster AGP system and you will get better performance, mostly
>>meaning you can probably run higher resolutions on the lastest games
>>than you could on a 6000 series card. I would think someone running a
>>~2.5GHz-class proc and a GF5000/Radeon9000-class video card would see a
>>real performance gain as well, although it might be overkill and they
>>wouldn't likely upgrade immediately when these things are running at
>>$600. In any case, not putting out an AGP version just cuts off a big
>>chunk of the upgrade market for nVidia, and I doubt that they'd do that.
>>People with PCie setups are unlikely to be upgrading at this point,
>>having just paid off their current stuff.

> Even if Nvidia releases a 7800 AGP version, your going to be CPU limited!

Most of the time, yes, probably. But would I be essentially all the time
if I bought a 6800 Ultra or X850XT? Probably not, and it doesn't really
matter if I am if I buy the damned thing anyway. All that matters is
sales in the end.

> My advice still stands using a 6600 GT AGP version will be a good choice,

I have a 6600GT now, and that certainly is the limiting factor for me on
visual quality in high-stress games.

> if your that worried about performance, buy the 6800 ultra, even at that
> your somewhat cpu limited, it also depends on your RAM, I hope you have
> nice low latency ram to improve your overall system response speed.

Yup, I do.

If a
> person is going to drop big money on a 7800, why not afford the 80 bucks,
> for a PCI-e motherboard? This is a storm in a tea cup, most serious gamers
> have moved to PCI-e anyway with sli.

Serious gamers with very serious money to spend, which is a serious
minority. That's a big-money solution, and points out the falacy of your
argument - if a 6800 Ultra makes essentially all of today's systems
CPU-limited, why the hell would anyone part with a half a G to have two
of them? And spending $80 on a PCIe mobo doesn't do a damn thing for me
as I have a socket 754 proc.

Another important aspect is most agp
> amd motherboards are not dual core capable anyway, unless its a socket 940
> board. Most socket 940 boards use ecc buffered ram, which as we all know
> is a killer if your a serious gamer due to latency.

Dual core means nothing to a gamer today.

> Also Nvidia mentioned that they will still make the 6600 chipsets, for a
> while yet, so the price drop on 7800 cards might not happen for a long
> time. Rumor has it if you wait tell fall the price of sli motherboards
> might be reduced due to xfire, so right now what a good nv4 board costs
> might be the price of a good sli board in a few months. If anyone is
> serious about buying a new motherboard they would be smart to buy a PCI-e
> board.

Of course, but what if all you want to do is ugrade your video card? I
don't think they'll sell a lot of AGP 7800s, but enough to put them on
the market. And what they will do, AGP or PCIe, is to drop the prices of
the recent 16-pipe, 256MB, 256-bit cards...

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Ivan wrote:
> will there be any (soon)?

Plently of 939 AGP boards with plenty of grunt still around (eg, my MSI
Neo2 with Venice A64@2.4Ghz). AGP 7800 makes sense as money is to be
made selling them. They will come, its just a matter of when.