vga clock settings

After 2 months of using new computer, ventilator started to growl on
startup.I often get message "Improper shutdown during VGA clock settings",
something like that.I tried to update the drivers, lowered the gpu frequency
with no results.Graphic card is Gainward 6600GT gs
What to do, please help

Hi,

In article <d9bs77$mhi$1@news1.xnet.hr>, Thoron <thoron@yahoo.com> wrote:
#After 2 months of using new computer, ventilator started to growl on
#startup.I often get message "Improper shutdown during VGA clock settings",
#something like that.I tried to update the drivers, lowered the gpu frequency
#with no results.Graphic card is Gainward 6600GT gs
#What to do, please help

Your first sentence is the clue- your fan is grinding down and your
GPU is overheating. This is a common problem with 6600GT's.

You could RMA the card.

If you are handy, and have the PCI-E version most any third cpu cooler
upgrade will do.

If you have the AGP version, most aftermarket heatsink upgrades will
stick up 2 inches above the card. Also you need to put a heatsink on the
HSI as well, unless you have the first generation 6600GT card with its
non-integrated heatsink. This is the only company I've found that makes
a well-integrated heat sink for the 6600GT AGP;

http://stasisthermal.com/

A bit pricey, but they serve a market in great need and seem to be the
only one (at the moment).

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Fire Rumsfeld, secure Iraq's borders.
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Our border with Mexico too.