My old GF4 Ti400 died. Looking for a new Nvidia replacement.

My trusty old Geforce 4 (Ti400) died this week. Now I'm looking for a new
replacement. I've not really kept up with the current crop of GFX cards,
but to be honest the GF4 had plenty power for what I used it for, and I'm
only running a moderately fast PC so getting an all new superfast card will
probably not benefit me unless I upgrade my PC also.

Can someone explain to me what Nvidia cards to go for that compares to the
same kind of processing power as my (now dead!) GF4 ti400 please?

In article <1119523041.757cd97dbfd8874e1d812b2868779e6a@teranews>,
~mike~ says...
> My trusty old Geforce 4 (Ti400) died this week. Now I'm looking for a new
> replacement. I've not really kept up with the current crop of GFX cards,
> but to be honest the GF4 had plenty power for what I used it for, and I'm
> only running a moderately fast PC so getting an all new superfast card will
> probably not benefit me unless I upgrade my PC also.
>
> Can someone explain to me what Nvidia cards to go for that compares to the
> same kind of processing power as my (now dead!) GF4 ti400 please?

In DirectX8 mode, another one of those. For a DirectX9 equvalent,
you're looking at least a 6600GT.

--
Conor

GF what's that your girlfriend ? :)

~mike~ wrote:
> My trusty old Geforce 4 (Ti400) died this week. Now I'm looking for a new
> replacement. I've not really kept up with the current crop of GFX cards,
> but to be honest the GF4 had plenty power for what I used it for, and I'm
> only running a moderately fast PC so getting an all new superfast card will
> probably not benefit me unless I upgrade my PC also.
>
> Can someone explain to me what Nvidia cards to go for that compares to the
> same kind of processing power as my (now dead!) GF4 ti400 please?

I would suggest an ATI 9800 Pro. That's what I went to when my old Ti died.

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:37:20 +0100, "~mike~"
<management.account@gmail.com> wrote:

>My trusty old Geforce 4 (Ti400) died this week. Now I'm looking for a new
>replacement. I've not really kept up with the current crop of GFX cards,
>but to be honest the GF4 had plenty power for what I used it for, and I'm
>only running a moderately fast PC so getting an all new superfast card will
>probably not benefit me unless I upgrade my PC also.
>
>Can someone explain to me what Nvidia cards to go for that compares to the
>same kind of processing power as my (now dead!) GF4 ti400 please?

Do you mean Ti4200 - Ti4400 - Ti4600..???
I can't recall a Ti400...

If you can afford to get one of the high end FX 5xxx cards like a 5900
or 5950 then go get it.. Other than that, a 6600GT will make your
eyeballs pop out with joy... Anything over and above this will start
to cost real money...

"Smart Feet" <smartfeet@yourshoes.com> wrote in message
> ~mike~ wrote:
> > My trusty old Geforce 4 (Ti400) died this week. Now I'm looking for a
new
> > replacement. I've not really kept up with the current crop of GFX
cards,
> > but to be honest the GF4 had plenty power for what I used it for, and
I'm
> > only running a moderately fast PC so getting an all new superfast card
will
> > probably not benefit me unless I upgrade my PC also.
> >
> > Can someone explain to me what Nvidia cards to go for that compares to
the
> > same kind of processing power as my (now dead!) GF4 ti400 please?
> >

> I would suggest an ATI 9800 Pro. That's what I went to when my old Ti
died.

I have a 9800Pro(Gigabyte) and have tried a 6600GT and can tell you the
Nvidia card blew away the 9800 on Far Cry, Doom 3 and Half Life 2. I would
recommend the 6600GT as the best bang for buck card on the market.

You want a card that performs the same, or one that is in the same market
position? (I presume you mean a Ti4200?)

I'd recommend either a 6600GT or 6800 non-Ultra. The latter has a chance of
having extra pipelines unlocked, depending on brand (again, recommend
LeadTek, as the success rate on it is decent, according to the NCIX.Com
forums).