Sharing Internet Connection

I have just brought a D-Link Wireless USB Adapter and have that plugged into my desktop and I am trying to get my notebook which has wireless LAN card in it to be able to share my internet connection.
My desktop has the internet connection and I want the notebook to use it. I have a connection between the 2 computers but cant view eachothers files so I know something is wrong there.
Does anyone know what the hell I have done for this not to work?
Thanks In Advance
2 answers Last reply
More about sharing internet connection

    Hi there Peita,

    How do u wish to share the internet connection ? Do u have a router?

    In case u do not have a router, then you may share a single internet
    connection using a proxy or ICS which is available with Windows. Check out
    the below site for more info:
    http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/PortRoute.html#ics

    Furthemore, dont forget to change the wireless adapter's mode to Ad-Hoc.

    Finally, before u proceed with settings up a Proxy or ICS, check whether yer
    able to ping both computer. You must be able to ping the Notebook from
    desktop and the desktop from notebook. A successful connection will result
    in 4 replies.

    HTH
    Venkatesh

    "Peita" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have just brought a D-Link Wireless USB Adapter and have that plugged
    into my desktop and I am trying to get my notebook which has wireless LAN
    card in it to be able to share my internet connection.
    > My desktop has the internet connection and I want the notebook to use it.
    I have a connection between the 2 computers but cant view eachothers files
    so I know something is wrong there.
    > Does anyone know what the hell I have done for this not to work?
    > Thanks In Advance

    Take a look at the following site for general information on sharing connections:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/hnw_overview.mspx

    --
    Sergio Moreno
    Microsoft Windows Networking

    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

    Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

Wireless Internet Connection Wireless Networking