ASUS N6200 GE huge and ugly artifacts

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

Hi !

I have some artifacts in Battlefield 2. Yesterday I've got new video -
ASUS N6200GE 128 DDR and after 5-8 minutes of playing I see strange
flashing black triangles or may be spikes out of models. The height
(length) and number of spikes are grown while playing the game. In BF2
triangles always appear from the same models, like helicopters (only
american ;), radar towers etc. Not all games are subject to distortion.
DOOM3, HL2, FarCry plays perfect. Interesting, that my previous video is
geforce4 ti4200 128 DDR and it has absolutly the same problem. I even
thinked, that my previous video is damaged and after buying the new card
I experience the same problem. So, I think, that the problem is not in
video, but who knows... I've recorded some AVI, which illustrate the
problem:
http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2MQ6235CWY00233HL91MK3B8KZ
http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3SBYXIKO4APJJ199ZYB8CS0H4K
http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=05YMKF98YPUMH0OBAYC0N7M21D
These video fragments are captured by Fraps from Battlefield 2.

GPU Temperature is 41C/105F, Video RAM Temp. is 43C/109F
Voltage: Vcc-3.31, Vcore-1.30, AGP-1.48, FB-2.64

Anyway, I remember that with the same configuration except video (my old
video card was gf4 ti4200) in some games I've seen the same black
spikes. For example - in IL-2 Sturmovik, Massive Assault. In IL-2 the
problem is solved by switchung off "Use Vertex Arrays" option in Video
settings tab. Interesting, that in 3DMark'03 and 3DMark'05 everything is
ok, even after 30-40 minutes continuous testing. May the the problem is
in the motherboard ? Unfortunately, I can't test the card in other
computer now, but I think if two different not overclocked video cards
show the same problem, then probably the problem is elsewhere.

Now I'm with ForceWare 77.72, all other drivers, like for chipset (Intel
865PE) and DirectX 9.0c are latest versions and reinstalled.

I've tried switching AGP from 8x to 4x, turning on and off FastWrites,
but the problem still persist

My configuration:
Motherboard: Gigabyte 8IPE1000
Video: ASUS N6200GE 128 DDR(Not Overclocked) AGP
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2,4GHz
RAM: 1 GB DDR (Dual Channel)
Sound: SB Live! Player 5.1

Please, HELP ! :(
9 answers Last reply
More about asus n6200 huge ugly artifacts
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

    my guess is a driver issue
    "Starwalker" <ivanbondar@mail.bg> wrote in message
    > Hi !
    >
    > I have some artifacts in Battlefield 2. Yesterday I've got new video -
    > ASUS N6200GE 128 DDR and after 5-8 minutes of playing I see strange
    > flashing black triangles or may be spikes out of models. The height
    > (length) and number of spikes are grown while playing the game. In BF2
    > triangles always appear from the same models, like helicopters (only
    > american ;), radar towers etc. Not all games are subject to distortion.
    > DOOM3, HL2, FarCry plays perfect. Interesting, that my previous video is
    > geforce4 ti4200 128 DDR and it has absolutly the same problem. I even
    > thinked, that my previous video is damaged and after buying the new card I
    > experience the same problem. So, I think, that the problem is not in
    > video, but who knows... I've recorded some AVI, which illustrate the
    > problem:
    > http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2MQ6235CWY00233HL91MK3B8KZ
    > http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3SBYXIKO4APJJ199ZYB8CS0H4K
    > http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=05YMKF98YPUMH0OBAYC0N7M21D
    > These video fragments are captured by Fraps from Battlefield 2.
    >
    > GPU Temperature is 41C/105F, Video RAM Temp. is 43C/109F
    > Voltage: Vcc-3.31, Vcore-1.30, AGP-1.48, FB-2.64
    >
    > Anyway, I remember that with the same configuration except video (my old
    > video card was gf4 ti4200) in some games I've seen the same black spikes.
    > For example - in IL-2 Sturmovik, Massive Assault. In IL-2 the problem is
    > solved by switchung off "Use Vertex Arrays" option in Video settings tab.
    > Interesting, that in 3DMark'03 and 3DMark'05 everything is ok, even after
    > 30-40 minutes continuous testing. May the the problem is in the
    > motherboard ? Unfortunately, I can't test the card in other computer now,
    > but I think if two different not overclocked video cards show the same
    > problem, then probably the problem is elsewhere.
    >
    > Now I'm with ForceWare 77.72, all other drivers, like for chipset (Intel
    > 865PE) and DirectX 9.0c are latest versions and reinstalled.
    >
    > I've tried switching AGP from 8x to 4x, turning on and off FastWrites, but
    > the problem still persist
    >
    > My configuration:
    > Motherboard: Gigabyte 8IPE1000
    > Video: ASUS N6200GE 128 DDR(Not Overclocked) AGP
    > CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2,4GHz
    > RAM: 1 GB DDR (Dual Channel)
    > Sound: SB Live! Player 5.1
    >
    > Please, HELP ! :(
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 14:09:08 +0300, Starwalker <ivanbondar@mail.bg>
    wrote:

    >Hi !

    >Now I'm with ForceWare 77.72, all other drivers, like for chipset (Intel
    >865PE) and DirectX 9.0c are latest versions and reinstalled.
    >
    >I've tried switching AGP from 8x to 4x, turning on and off FastWrites,
    >but the problem still persist
    >
    >My configuration:
    >Motherboard: Gigabyte 8IPE1000
    >Video: ASUS N6200GE 128 DDR(Not Overclocked) AGP
    >CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2,4GHz
    >RAM: 1 GB DDR (Dual Channel)
    >Sound: SB Live! Player 5.1
    >
    >Please, HELP ! :(

    It's an extreme move for most, but I'd just do a fresh
    reinstall of Windows, all it's updates, and the system's drivers.
    Usally fixes problems that have me stumped. :)
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

    "Starwalker" <ivanbondar@mail.bg> wrote in message
    > Hi !
    >
    > I have some artifacts in Battlefield 2. Yesterday I've got new video -
    > ASUS N6200GE 128 DDR and after 5-8 minutes of playing I see strange
    > flashing black triangles or may be spikes out of models. The height
    > (length) and number of spikes are grown while playing the game. In BF2
    > triangles always appear from the same models, like helicopters (only
    > american ;), radar towers etc. Not all games are subject to distortion.
    > DOOM3, HL2, FarCry plays perfect. Interesting, that my previous video is
    > geforce4 ti4200 128 DDR and it has absolutly the same problem. I even
    > thinked, that my previous video is damaged and after buying the new card I
    > experience the same problem. So, I think, that the problem is not in
    > video, but who knows... I've recorded some AVI, which illustrate the
    > problem:
    > http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2MQ6235CWY00233HL91MK3B8KZ
    > http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3SBYXIKO4APJJ199ZYB8CS0H4K
    > http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=05YMKF98YPUMH0OBAYC0N7M21D
    > These video fragments are captured by Fraps from Battlefield 2.
    >
    > GPU Temperature is 41C/105F, Video RAM Temp. is 43C/109F
    > Voltage: Vcc-3.31, Vcore-1.30, AGP-1.48, FB-2.64
    >
    > Anyway, I remember that with the same configuration except video (my old
    > video card was gf4 ti4200) in some games I've seen the same black spikes.
    > For example - in IL-2 Sturmovik, Massive Assault. In IL-2 the problem is
    > solved by switchung off "Use Vertex Arrays" option in Video settings tab.
    > Interesting, that in 3DMark'03 and 3DMark'05 everything is ok, even after
    > 30-40 minutes continuous testing. May the the problem is in the
    > motherboard ? Unfortunately, I can't test the card in other computer now,
    > but I think if two different not overclocked video cards show the same
    > problem, then probably the problem is elsewhere.
    >
    > Now I'm with ForceWare 77.72, all other drivers, like for chipset (Intel
    > 865PE) and DirectX 9.0c are latest versions and reinstalled.
    >
    > I've tried switching AGP from 8x to 4x, turning on and off FastWrites, but
    > the problem still persist
    >
    > My configuration:
    > Motherboard: Gigabyte 8IPE1000
    > Video: ASUS N6200GE 128 DDR(Not Overclocked) AGP
    > CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2,4GHz
    > RAM: 1 GB DDR (Dual Channel)
    > Sound: SB Live! Player 5.1
    >
    > Please, HELP ! :(

    Had artifacts like that on an Asus A7V with GeForce 200MX. Turned out to be
    bad AGP voltage. New power supply fixed it. Maybe you have another box to
    swap card into?

    JLT
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

    JLT2005 wrote:
    > "Starwalker" <ivanbondar@mail.bg> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi !
    >>
    >>I have some artifacts in Battlefield 2. Yesterday I've got new video -
    >>ASUS N6200GE 128 DDR and after 5-8 minutes of playing I see strange
    >>flashing black triangles or may be spikes out of models. The height
    >>(length) and number of spikes are grown while playing the game. In BF2
    >>triangles always appear from the same models, like helicopters (only
    >>american ;), radar towers etc. Not all games are subject to distortion.
    >>DOOM3, HL2, FarCry plays perfect. Interesting, that my previous video is
    >>geforce4 ti4200 128 DDR and it has absolutly the same problem. I even
    >>thinked, that my previous video is damaged and after buying the new card I
    >>experience the same problem. So, I think, that the problem is not in
    >>video, but who knows... I've recorded some AVI, which illustrate the
    >>problem:
    >>http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2MQ6235CWY00233HL91MK3B8KZ
    >>http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3SBYXIKO4APJJ199ZYB8CS0H4K
    >>http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=05YMKF98YPUMH0OBAYC0N7M21D
    >>These video fragments are captured by Fraps from Battlefield 2.
    >>
    >>GPU Temperature is 41C/105F, Video RAM Temp. is 43C/109F
    >>Voltage: Vcc-3.31, Vcore-1.30, AGP-1.48, FB-2.64
    >>
    >>Anyway, I remember that with the same configuration except video (my old
    >>video card was gf4 ti4200) in some games I've seen the same black spikes.
    >>For example - in IL-2 Sturmovik, Massive Assault. In IL-2 the problem is
    >>solved by switchung off "Use Vertex Arrays" option in Video settings tab.
    >>Interesting, that in 3DMark'03 and 3DMark'05 everything is ok, even after
    >>30-40 minutes continuous testing. May the the problem is in the
    >>motherboard ? Unfortunately, I can't test the card in other computer now,
    >>but I think if two different not overclocked video cards show the same
    >>problem, then probably the problem is elsewhere.
    >>
    >>Now I'm with ForceWare 77.72, all other drivers, like for chipset (Intel
    >>865PE) and DirectX 9.0c are latest versions and reinstalled.
    >>
    >>I've tried switching AGP from 8x to 4x, turning on and off FastWrites, but
    >>the problem still persist
    >>
    >>My configuration:
    >>Motherboard: Gigabyte 8IPE1000
    >>Video: ASUS N6200GE 128 DDR(Not Overclocked) AGP
    >>CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2,4GHz
    >>RAM: 1 GB DDR (Dual Channel)
    >>Sound: SB Live! Player 5.1
    >>
    >>Please, HELP ! :(
    >

    > Had artifacts like that on an Asus A7V with GeForce 200MX. Turned out to be
    > bad AGP voltage. New power supply fixed it. Maybe you have another box to
    > swap card into?
    >
    > JLT

    I'll try to find other box, where I can put this card. Hm, may be you're
    right about the power supply - it's pretty old. But how can I understand
    if my AGP voltage is good or bad without changing the power supply ? Is
    there any program or tool ?
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

    JLT2005 wrote:
    > "Starwalker" <ivanbondar@mail.bg> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi !
    >>
    >>I have some artifacts in Battlefield 2. Yesterday I've got new video -
    >>ASUS N6200GE 128 DDR and after 5-8 minutes of playing I see strange
    >>flashing black triangles or may be spikes out of models. The height
    >>(length) and number of spikes are grown while playing the game. In BF2
    >>triangles always appear from the same models, like helicopters (only
    >>american ;), radar towers etc. Not all games are subject to distortion.
    >>DOOM3, HL2, FarCry plays perfect. Interesting, that my previous video is
    >>geforce4 ti4200 128 DDR and it has absolutly the same problem. I even
    >>thinked, that my previous video is damaged and after buying the new card I
    >>experience the same problem. So, I think, that the problem is not in
    >>video, but who knows... I've recorded some AVI, which illustrate the
    >>problem:
    >>http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2MQ6235CWY00233HL91MK3B8KZ
    >>http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3SBYXIKO4APJJ199ZYB8CS0H4K
    >>http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=05YMKF98YPUMH0OBAYC0N7M21D
    >>These video fragments are captured by Fraps from Battlefield 2.
    >>
    >>GPU Temperature is 41C/105F, Video RAM Temp. is 43C/109F
    >>Voltage: Vcc-3.31, Vcore-1.30, AGP-1.48, FB-2.64
    >>
    >>Anyway, I remember that with the same configuration except video (my old
    >>video card was gf4 ti4200) in some games I've seen the same black spikes.
    >>For example - in IL-2 Sturmovik, Massive Assault. In IL-2 the problem is
    >>solved by switchung off "Use Vertex Arrays" option in Video settings tab.
    >>Interesting, that in 3DMark'03 and 3DMark'05 everything is ok, even after
    >>30-40 minutes continuous testing. May the the problem is in the
    >>motherboard ? Unfortunately, I can't test the card in other computer now,
    >>but I think if two different not overclocked video cards show the same
    >>problem, then probably the problem is elsewhere.
    >>
    >>Now I'm with ForceWare 77.72, all other drivers, like for chipset (Intel
    >>865PE) and DirectX 9.0c are latest versions and reinstalled.
    >>
    >>I've tried switching AGP from 8x to 4x, turning on and off FastWrites, but
    >>the problem still persist
    >>
    >>My configuration:
    >>Motherboard: Gigabyte 8IPE1000
    >>Video: ASUS N6200GE 128 DDR(Not Overclocked) AGP
    >>CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2,4GHz
    >>RAM: 1 GB DDR (Dual Channel)
    >>Sound: SB Live! Player 5.1
    >>
    >>Please, HELP ! :(
    >

    > Had artifacts like that on an Asus A7V with GeForce 200MX. Turned out to be
    > bad AGP voltage. New power supply fixed it. Maybe you have another box to
    > swap card into?
    >
    > JLT

    Today I've got a new power supply - FORTRON FSP400-60GLN, but the
    problem still persist. Anyway, my previous power supply (codegen) was
    pretty old and not very powerful. So, now I have two options:
    1. My video is broken (But why old video shows the same problem?)
    2. My motherboard is not compatible or may be AGP slot is not
    functioning correctly.

    And the third option - there is a problem in software. I'll try to
    reinstall my system or will try to start games in linux.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

> [...]
    >>>CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2,4GHz
    >>>RAM: 1 GB DDR (Dual Channel)
    >>>Sound: SB Live! Player 5.1
    >>>
    >>>Please, HELP ! :(
    >>

    >> Had artifacts like that on an Asus A7V with GeForce 200MX. Turned out to
    >> be bad AGP voltage. New power supply fixed it. Maybe you have another
    >> box to swap card into?
    >>
    >> JLT
    >
    > Today I've got a new power supply - FORTRON FSP400-60GLN, but the problem
    > still persist. Anyway, my previous power supply (codegen) was pretty old
    > and not very powerful. So, now I have two options:
    > 1. My video is broken (But why old video shows the same problem?)
    > 2. My motherboard is not compatible or may be AGP slot is not functioning
    > correctly.
    >
    > And the third option - there is a problem in software. I'll try to
    > reinstall my system or will try to start games in linux.

    You really need to put the card into another windows box to see if the
    problem reoccurs.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

    wrote:

    >Hi !
    >
    >I have some artifacts in Battlefield 2. Yesterday I've got new video -
    >ASUS N6200GE 128 DDR and after 5-8 minutes of playing I see strange
    >flashing black triangles or may be spikes out of models. The height
    >(length) and number of spikes are grown while playing the game. In BF2
    >triangles always appear from the same models, like helicopters (only
    >american ;), radar towers etc. Not all games are subject to distortion.
    >DOOM3, HL2, FarCry plays perfect. Interesting, that my previous video is
    >geforce4 ti4200 128 DDR and it has absolutly the same problem. I even
    >thinked, that my previous video is damaged and after buying the new card
    >I experience the same problem. So, I think, that the problem is not in
    >video, but who knows... I've recorded some AVI, which illustrate the
    >problem:

    I think I have had the same problem in BF1942 and now BF2. (Different
    hardware too)

    I chalked it up to my video settings exceeding the capabilities of my
    hardware. I backed down to medium settings and it fixed the problem.
    I didn't see your videos before they expired but it kind of reminded
    me of trying to view a 32million color screen with a 256 color setting
    for the local desktop. I think the artifacts are an attempt of your
    video card to do something it probably shouldn't be trying to do.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

    This is usually caused by heat. Many times due to overclocking. What you
    are seeing are the verticies of the models stretching accross the screen.
    The artifacts you see are also a sign of heat issues. There are tools out
    there you can get that will allow you to tweak your video card hardware.
    You can lower the core speed of the GPU and slightly lower the speed of the
    Memory. On many ATI cards by Saphire which use the ATI chipset but aren't
    actually made by ATI, the core speed needs to be slightly lowered. You
    won't notice a difference in performance other than the abscence of the
    graphic problems. You could also try taking the side of the computer case
    off and blowing a fan directly on the video card. (Of course this would
    just be to test the problem unless you don't mind a fan blowing into the
    side of your computer)

    ps I realize you don't have an ATI card, but this can apply to other
    manufactures as well.

    "Mike Smith" <mike_z@excite.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 14:09:08 +0300, Starwalker <ivanbondar@mail.bg>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi !
    >>
    >>I have some artifacts in Battlefield 2. Yesterday I've got new video -
    >>ASUS N6200GE 128 DDR and after 5-8 minutes of playing I see strange
    >>flashing black triangles or may be spikes out of models. The height
    >>(length) and number of spikes are grown while playing the game. In BF2
    >>triangles always appear from the same models, like helicopters (only
    >>american ;), radar towers etc. Not all games are subject to distortion.
    >>DOOM3, HL2, FarCry plays perfect. Interesting, that my previous video is
    >>geforce4 ti4200 128 DDR and it has absolutly the same problem. I even
    >>thinked, that my previous video is damaged and after buying the new card
    >>I experience the same problem. So, I think, that the problem is not in
    >>video, but who knows... I've recorded some AVI, which illustrate the
    >>problem:
    >
    > I think I have had the same problem in BF1942 and now BF2. (Different
    > hardware too)
    >
    > I chalked it up to my video settings exceeding the capabilities of my
    > hardware. I backed down to medium settings and it fixed the problem.
    > I didn't see your videos before they expired but it kind of reminded
    > me of trying to view a 32million color screen with a 256 color setting
    > for the local desktop. I think the artifacts are an attempt of your
    > video card to do something it probably shouldn't be trying to do.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

    On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 06:56:54 -0700, "Bryon Miller" <falken76@cox.net>
    wrote:

    >This is usually caused by heat. Many times due to overclocking. What you

    Hmmm, interesting. I think there would be more heat with more
    resolution, color depth, too. My heat situation is horrible too.

    >are seeing are the verticies of the models stretching accross the screen.

    Yep, that is sounding like what is happening

    >The artifacts you see are also a sign of heat issues. There are tools out
    >there you can get that will allow you to tweak your video card hardware.
    >You can lower the core speed of the GPU and slightly lower the speed of the
    >Memory. On many ATI cards by Saphire which use the ATI chipset but aren't
    >actually made by ATI, the core speed needs to be slightly lowered. You

    Doh, that is one of the cards I use (currently in my game machine for
    BF2 since the Geforce 4 isn;t supported)

    >won't notice a difference in performance other than the abscence of the
    >graphic problems. You could also try taking the side of the computer case
    >off and blowing a fan directly on the video card. (Of course this would

    I don't even know where my case cover is but I will add the fan :-)

    >just be to test the problem unless you don't mind a fan blowing into the
    >side of your computer)
    >
    >ps I realize you don't have an ATI card, but this can apply to other
    >manufactures as well.

    My latest card is an ATI 9600 256MB, my old one was a Geforece4 4600
    128MB

    Thanks for the info. I wasn't thinking about the heat as the problem
    but it very well could be.

    Mike

Nvidia Video Graphics