ASUS N6200 GE huge and ugly artifacts

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 26, 2005 6:09:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

Hi !

I have some artifacts in Battlefield 2. Yesterday I've got new video -
ASUS N6200GE 128 DDR and after 5-8 minutes of playing I see strange
flashing black triangles or may be spikes out of models. The height
(length) and number of spikes are grown while playing the game. In BF2
triangles always appear from the same models, like helicopters (only
american ;) , radar towers etc. Not all games are subject to distortion.
DOOM3, HL2, FarCry plays perfect. Interesting, that my previous video is
geforce4 ti4200 128 DDR and it has absolutly the same problem. I even
thinked, that my previous video is damaged and after buying the new card
I experience the same problem. So, I think, that the problem is not in
video, but who knows... I've recorded some AVI, which illustrate the
problem:
http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2MQ6235CWY00233HL91MK...
http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3SBYXIKO4APJJ199ZYB8C...
http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=05YMKF98YPUMH0OBAYC0N...
These video fragments are captured by Fraps from Battlefield 2.

GPU Temperature is 41C/105F, Video RAM Temp. is 43C/109F
Voltage: Vcc-3.31, Vcore-1.30, AGP-1.48, FB-2.64

Anyway, I remember that with the same configuration except video (my old
video card was gf4 ti4200) in some games I've seen the same black
spikes. For example - in IL-2 Sturmovik, Massive Assault. In IL-2 the
problem is solved by switchung off "Use Vertex Arrays" option in Video
settings tab. Interesting, that in 3DMark'03 and 3DMark'05 everything is
ok, even after 30-40 minutes continuous testing. May the the problem is
in the motherboard ? Unfortunately, I can't test the card in other
computer now, but I think if two different not overclocked video cards
show the same problem, then probably the problem is elsewhere.

Now I'm with ForceWare 77.72, all other drivers, like for chipset (Intel
865PE) and DirectX 9.0c are latest versions and reinstalled.

I've tried switching AGP from 8x to 4x, turning on and off FastWrites,
but the problem still persist

My configuration:
Motherboard: Gigabyte 8IPE1000
Video: ASUS N6200GE 128 DDR(Not Overclocked) AGP
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2,4GHz
RAM: 1 GB DDR (Dual Channel)
Sound: SB Live! Player 5.1

Please, HELP ! :(
June 26, 2005 6:09:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

my guess is a driver issue
"Starwalker" <ivanbondar@mail.bg> wrote in message
> Hi !
>
> I have some artifacts in Battlefield 2. Yesterday I've got new video -
> ASUS N6200GE 128 DDR and after 5-8 minutes of playing I see strange
> flashing black triangles or may be spikes out of models. The height
> (length) and number of spikes are grown while playing the game. In BF2
> triangles always appear from the same models, like helicopters (only
> american ;) , radar towers etc. Not all games are subject to distortion.
> DOOM3, HL2, FarCry plays perfect. Interesting, that my previous video is
> geforce4 ti4200 128 DDR and it has absolutly the same problem. I even
> thinked, that my previous video is damaged and after buying the new card I
> experience the same problem. So, I think, that the problem is not in
> video, but who knows... I've recorded some AVI, which illustrate the
> problem:
> http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2MQ6235CWY00233HL91MK...
> http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3SBYXIKO4APJJ199ZYB8C...
> http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=05YMKF98YPUMH0OBAYC0N...
> These video fragments are captured by Fraps from Battlefield 2.
>
> GPU Temperature is 41C/105F, Video RAM Temp. is 43C/109F
> Voltage: Vcc-3.31, Vcore-1.30, AGP-1.48, FB-2.64
>
> Anyway, I remember that with the same configuration except video (my old
> video card was gf4 ti4200) in some games I've seen the same black spikes.
> For example - in IL-2 Sturmovik, Massive Assault. In IL-2 the problem is
> solved by switchung off "Use Vertex Arrays" option in Video settings tab.
> Interesting, that in 3DMark'03 and 3DMark'05 everything is ok, even after
> 30-40 minutes continuous testing. May the the problem is in the
> motherboard ? Unfortunately, I can't test the card in other computer now,
> but I think if two different not overclocked video cards show the same
> problem, then probably the problem is elsewhere.
>
> Now I'm with ForceWare 77.72, all other drivers, like for chipset (Intel
> 865PE) and DirectX 9.0c are latest versions and reinstalled.
>
> I've tried switching AGP from 8x to 4x, turning on and off FastWrites, but
> the problem still persist
>
> My configuration:
> Motherboard: Gigabyte 8IPE1000
> Video: ASUS N6200GE 128 DDR(Not Overclocked) AGP
> CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2,4GHz
> RAM: 1 GB DDR (Dual Channel)
> Sound: SB Live! Player 5.1
>
> Please, HELP ! :(
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 8:50:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 14:09:08 +0300, Starwalker <ivanbondar@mail.bg>
wrote:

>Hi !

>Now I'm with ForceWare 77.72, all other drivers, like for chipset (Intel
>865PE) and DirectX 9.0c are latest versions and reinstalled.
>
>I've tried switching AGP from 8x to 4x, turning on and off FastWrites,
>but the problem still persist
>
>My configuration:
>Motherboard: Gigabyte 8IPE1000
>Video: ASUS N6200GE 128 DDR(Not Overclocked) AGP
>CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2,4GHz
>RAM: 1 GB DDR (Dual Channel)
>Sound: SB Live! Player 5.1
>
>Please, HELP ! :(

It's an extreme move for most, but I'd just do a fresh
reinstall of Windows, all it's updates, and the system's drivers.
Usally fixes problems that have me stumped. :)
June 28, 2005 10:43:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

"Starwalker" <ivanbondar@mail.bg> wrote in message
> Hi !
>
> I have some artifacts in Battlefield 2. Yesterday I've got new video -
> ASUS N6200GE 128 DDR and after 5-8 minutes of playing I see strange
> flashing black triangles or may be spikes out of models. The height
> (length) and number of spikes are grown while playing the game. In BF2
> triangles always appear from the same models, like helicopters (only
> american ;) , radar towers etc. Not all games are subject to distortion.
> DOOM3, HL2, FarCry plays perfect. Interesting, that my previous video is
> geforce4 ti4200 128 DDR and it has absolutly the same problem. I even
> thinked, that my previous video is damaged and after buying the new card I
> experience the same problem. So, I think, that the problem is not in
> video, but who knows... I've recorded some AVI, which illustrate the
> problem:
> http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2MQ6235CWY00233HL91MK...
> http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3SBYXIKO4APJJ199ZYB8C...
> http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=05YMKF98YPUMH0OBAYC0N...
> These video fragments are captured by Fraps from Battlefield 2.
>
> GPU Temperature is 41C/105F, Video RAM Temp. is 43C/109F
> Voltage: Vcc-3.31, Vcore-1.30, AGP-1.48, FB-2.64
>
> Anyway, I remember that with the same configuration except video (my old
> video card was gf4 ti4200) in some games I've seen the same black spikes.
> For example - in IL-2 Sturmovik, Massive Assault. In IL-2 the problem is
> solved by switchung off "Use Vertex Arrays" option in Video settings tab.
> Interesting, that in 3DMark'03 and 3DMark'05 everything is ok, even after
> 30-40 minutes continuous testing. May the the problem is in the
> motherboard ? Unfortunately, I can't test the card in other computer now,
> but I think if two different not overclocked video cards show the same
> problem, then probably the problem is elsewhere.
>
> Now I'm with ForceWare 77.72, all other drivers, like for chipset (Intel
> 865PE) and DirectX 9.0c are latest versions and reinstalled.
>
> I've tried switching AGP from 8x to 4x, turning on and off FastWrites, but
> the problem still persist
>
> My configuration:
> Motherboard: Gigabyte 8IPE1000
> Video: ASUS N6200GE 128 DDR(Not Overclocked) AGP
> CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2,4GHz
> RAM: 1 GB DDR (Dual Channel)
> Sound: SB Live! Player 5.1
>
> Please, HELP ! :(

Had artifacts like that on an Asus A7V with GeForce 200MX. Turned out to be
bad AGP voltage. New power supply fixed it. Maybe you have another box to
swap card into?

JLT
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 8:46:32 AM

JLT2005 wrote:
> "Starwalker" <ivanbondar@mail.bg> wrote in message
>
>>Hi !
>>
>>I have some artifacts in Battlefield 2. Yesterday I've got new video -
>>ASUS N6200GE 128 DDR and after 5-8 minutes of playing I see strange
>>flashing black triangles or may be spikes out of models. The height
>>(length) and number of spikes are grown while playing the game. In BF2
>>triangles always appear from the same models, like helicopters (only
>>american ;) , radar towers etc. Not all games are subject to distortion.
>>DOOM3, HL2, FarCry plays perfect. Interesting, that my previous video is
>>geforce4 ti4200 128 DDR and it has absolutly the same problem. I even
>>thinked, that my previous video is damaged and after buying the new card I
>>experience the same problem. So, I think, that the problem is not in
>>video, but who knows... I've recorded some AVI, which illustrate the
>>problem:
>>http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2MQ6235CWY00233HL91MK...
>>http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3SBYXIKO4APJJ199ZYB8C...
>>http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=05YMKF98YPUMH0OBAYC0N...
>>These video fragments are captured by Fraps from Battlefield 2.
>>
>>GPU Temperature is 41C/105F, Video RAM Temp. is 43C/109F
>>Voltage: Vcc-3.31, Vcore-1.30, AGP-1.48, FB-2.64
>>
>>Anyway, I remember that with the same configuration except video (my old
>>video card was gf4 ti4200) in some games I've seen the same black spikes.
>>For example - in IL-2 Sturmovik, Massive Assault. In IL-2 the problem is
>>solved by switchung off "Use Vertex Arrays" option in Video settings tab.
>>Interesting, that in 3DMark'03 and 3DMark'05 everything is ok, even after
>>30-40 minutes continuous testing. May the the problem is in the
>>motherboard ? Unfortunately, I can't test the card in other computer now,
>>but I think if two different not overclocked video cards show the same
>>problem, then probably the problem is elsewhere.
>>
>>Now I'm with ForceWare 77.72, all other drivers, like for chipset (Intel
>>865PE) and DirectX 9.0c are latest versions and reinstalled.
>>
>>I've tried switching AGP from 8x to 4x, turning on and off FastWrites, but
>>the problem still persist
>>
>>My configuration:
>>Motherboard: Gigabyte 8IPE1000
>>Video: ASUS N6200GE 128 DDR(Not Overclocked) AGP
>>CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2,4GHz
>>RAM: 1 GB DDR (Dual Channel)
>>Sound: SB Live! Player 5.1
>>
>>Please, HELP ! :(
>

> Had artifacts like that on an Asus A7V with GeForce 200MX. Turned out to be
> bad AGP voltage. New power supply fixed it. Maybe you have another box to
> swap card into?
>
> JLT

I'll try to find other box, where I can put this card. Hm, may be you're
right about the power supply - it's pretty old. But how can I understand
if my AGP voltage is good or bad without changing the power supply ? Is
there any program or tool ?
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 1:49:35 AM

JLT2005 wrote:
> "Starwalker" <ivanbondar@mail.bg> wrote in message
>
>>Hi !
>>
>>I have some artifacts in Battlefield 2. Yesterday I've got new video -
>>ASUS N6200GE 128 DDR and after 5-8 minutes of playing I see strange
>>flashing black triangles or may be spikes out of models. The height
>>(length) and number of spikes are grown while playing the game. In BF2
>>triangles always appear from the same models, like helicopters (only
>>american ;) , radar towers etc. Not all games are subject to distortion.
>>DOOM3, HL2, FarCry plays perfect. Interesting, that my previous video is
>>geforce4 ti4200 128 DDR and it has absolutly the same problem. I even
>>thinked, that my previous video is damaged and after buying the new card I
>>experience the same problem. So, I think, that the problem is not in
>>video, but who knows... I've recorded some AVI, which illustrate the
>>problem:
>>http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2MQ6235CWY00233HL91MK...
>>http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3SBYXIKO4APJJ199ZYB8C...
>>http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=05YMKF98YPUMH0OBAYC0N...
>>These video fragments are captured by Fraps from Battlefield 2.
>>
>>GPU Temperature is 41C/105F, Video RAM Temp. is 43C/109F
>>Voltage: Vcc-3.31, Vcore-1.30, AGP-1.48, FB-2.64
>>
>>Anyway, I remember that with the same configuration except video (my old
>>video card was gf4 ti4200) in some games I've seen the same black spikes.
>>For example - in IL-2 Sturmovik, Massive Assault. In IL-2 the problem is
>>solved by switchung off "Use Vertex Arrays" option in Video settings tab.
>>Interesting, that in 3DMark'03 and 3DMark'05 everything is ok, even after
>>30-40 minutes continuous testing. May the the problem is in the
>>motherboard ? Unfortunately, I can't test the card in other computer now,
>>but I think if two different not overclocked video cards show the same
>>problem, then probably the problem is elsewhere.
>>
>>Now I'm with ForceWare 77.72, all other drivers, like for chipset (Intel
>>865PE) and DirectX 9.0c are latest versions and reinstalled.
>>
>>I've tried switching AGP from 8x to 4x, turning on and off FastWrites, but
>>the problem still persist
>>
>>My configuration:
>>Motherboard: Gigabyte 8IPE1000
>>Video: ASUS N6200GE 128 DDR(Not Overclocked) AGP
>>CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2,4GHz
>>RAM: 1 GB DDR (Dual Channel)
>>Sound: SB Live! Player 5.1
>>
>>Please, HELP ! :(
>

> Had artifacts like that on an Asus A7V with GeForce 200MX. Turned out to be
> bad AGP voltage. New power supply fixed it. Maybe you have another box to
> swap card into?
>
> JLT

Today I've got a new power supply - FORTRON FSP400-60GLN, but the
problem still persist. Anyway, my previous power supply (codegen) was
pretty old and not very powerful. So, now I have two options:
1. My video is broken (But why old video shows the same problem?)
2. My motherboard is not compatible or may be AGP slot is not
functioning correctly.

And the third option - there is a problem in software. I'll try to
reinstall my system or will try to start games in linux.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 1:49:36 AM

> [...]
>>>CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2,4GHz
>>>RAM: 1 GB DDR (Dual Channel)
>>>Sound: SB Live! Player 5.1
>>>
>>>Please, HELP ! :(
>>

>> Had artifacts like that on an Asus A7V with GeForce 200MX. Turned out to
>> be bad AGP voltage. New power supply fixed it. Maybe you have another
>> box to swap card into?
>>
>> JLT
>
> Today I've got a new power supply - FORTRON FSP400-60GLN, but the problem
> still persist. Anyway, my previous power supply (codegen) was pretty old
> and not very powerful. So, now I have two options:
> 1. My video is broken (But why old video shows the same problem?)
> 2. My motherboard is not compatible or may be AGP slot is not functioning
> correctly.
>
> And the third option - there is a problem in software. I'll try to
> reinstall my system or will try to start games in linux.

You really need to put the card into another windows box to see if the
problem reoccurs.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 5:27:28 PM

wrote:

>Hi !
>
>I have some artifacts in Battlefield 2. Yesterday I've got new video -
>ASUS N6200GE 128 DDR and after 5-8 minutes of playing I see strange
>flashing black triangles or may be spikes out of models. The height
>(length) and number of spikes are grown while playing the game. In BF2
>triangles always appear from the same models, like helicopters (only
>american ;) , radar towers etc. Not all games are subject to distortion.
>DOOM3, HL2, FarCry plays perfect. Interesting, that my previous video is
>geforce4 ti4200 128 DDR and it has absolutly the same problem. I even
>thinked, that my previous video is damaged and after buying the new card
>I experience the same problem. So, I think, that the problem is not in
>video, but who knows... I've recorded some AVI, which illustrate the
>problem:

I think I have had the same problem in BF1942 and now BF2. (Different
hardware too)

I chalked it up to my video settings exceeding the capabilities of my
hardware. I backed down to medium settings and it fixed the problem.
I didn't see your videos before they expired but it kind of reminded
me of trying to view a 32million color screen with a 256 color setting
for the local desktop. I think the artifacts are an attempt of your
video card to do something it probably shouldn't be trying to do.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 10:56:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

This is usually caused by heat. Many times due to overclocking. What you
are seeing are the verticies of the models stretching accross the screen.
The artifacts you see are also a sign of heat issues. There are tools out
there you can get that will allow you to tweak your video card hardware.
You can lower the core speed of the GPU and slightly lower the speed of the
Memory. On many ATI cards by Saphire which use the ATI chipset but aren't
actually made by ATI, the core speed needs to be slightly lowered. You
won't notice a difference in performance other than the abscence of the
graphic problems. You could also try taking the side of the computer case
off and blowing a fan directly on the video card. (Of course this would
just be to test the problem unless you don't mind a fan blowing into the
side of your computer)

ps I realize you don't have an ATI card, but this can apply to other
manufactures as well.

"Mike Smith" <mike_z@excite.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 14:09:08 +0300, Starwalker <ivanbondar@mail.bg>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi !
>>
>>I have some artifacts in Battlefield 2. Yesterday I've got new video -
>>ASUS N6200GE 128 DDR and after 5-8 minutes of playing I see strange
>>flashing black triangles or may be spikes out of models. The height
>>(length) and number of spikes are grown while playing the game. In BF2
>>triangles always appear from the same models, like helicopters (only
>>american ;) , radar towers etc. Not all games are subject to distortion.
>>DOOM3, HL2, FarCry plays perfect. Interesting, that my previous video is
>>geforce4 ti4200 128 DDR and it has absolutly the same problem. I even
>>thinked, that my previous video is damaged and after buying the new card
>>I experience the same problem. So, I think, that the problem is not in
>>video, but who knows... I've recorded some AVI, which illustrate the
>>problem:
>
> I think I have had the same problem in BF1942 and now BF2. (Different
> hardware too)
>
> I chalked it up to my video settings exceeding the capabilities of my
> hardware. I backed down to medium settings and it fixed the problem.
> I didn't see your videos before they expired but it kind of reminded
> me of trying to view a 32million color screen with a 256 color setting
> for the local desktop. I think the artifacts are an attempt of your
> video card to do something it probably shouldn't be trying to do.

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 2:28:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.ea.battlefield (More info?)

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 06:56:54 -0700, "Bryon Miller" <falken76@cox.net>
wrote:

>This is usually caused by heat. Many times due to overclocking. What you

Hmmm, interesting. I think there would be more heat with more
resolution, color depth, too. My heat situation is horrible too.

>are seeing are the verticies of the models stretching accross the screen.

Yep, that is sounding like what is happening

>The artifacts you see are also a sign of heat issues. There are tools out
>there you can get that will allow you to tweak your video card hardware.
>You can lower the core speed of the GPU and slightly lower the speed of the
>Memory. On many ATI cards by Saphire which use the ATI chipset but aren't
>actually made by ATI, the core speed needs to be slightly lowered. You

Doh, that is one of the cards I use (currently in my game machine for
BF2 since the Geforce 4 isn;t supported)

>won't notice a difference in performance other than the abscence of the
>graphic problems. You could also try taking the side of the computer case
>off and blowing a fan directly on the video card. (Of course this would

I don't even know where my case cover is but I will add the fan :-)

>just be to test the problem unless you don't mind a fan blowing into the
>side of your computer)
>
>ps I realize you don't have an ATI card, but this can apply to other
>manufactures as well.

My latest card is an ATI 9600 256MB, my old one was a Geforece4 4600
128MB

Thanks for the info. I wasn't thinking about the heat as the problem
but it very well could be.

Mike
!