XFX 6800 GT anygood????????????????

nbk

HI

Im am thinking about buyting a XFX 6800 GT. Are there any issues i
should know about?

NBK

Gordon

"NBK" <NBK@spam.must.die.com> wrote in message
> HI
>
> Im am thinking about buyting a XFX 6800 GT. Are there any issues i should
> know about?
>
> NBK

Which flavor: PCI-E or AGP? If AGP I suggest a board that has separate heat
sinks for the GPU and bridge chip, like the Leadtek 6600GT TDH (which I
have). The cooling is more reliable that way. Earlier XFX boards used a
single HSF, although newer boards may have two.

Gordon

"Gordon" <mc@msnet.com> wrote in message

> Earlier XFX boards used a single HSF, although newer boards may have two.

Two heatsinks, that is.

Mike

Splendid

>HI
>
>Im am thinking about buyting a XFX 6800 GT. Are there any issues i
>should know about?
>
>NBK

Using this card for several months with no problems at all, OC's well too.

Mike

Si

I have one and have had no problems with it at all. Got great reviews when I
purchased it a few months back.

Cheers.

Si

--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy.
"NBK" <NBK@spam.must.die.com> wrote in message
> HI
>
> Im am thinking about buyting a XFX 6800 GT. Are there any issues i should
> know about?
>
> NBK

Carl

I got one, in AGP flavour. I added an arctic cooler fan and exhaust to it,
as I like my systems quiet, but no problems with it at all.

get the leadtek 6800gt if u can
"NBK" <NBK@spam.must.die.com> wrote in message
> HI
>
> Im am thinking about buyting a XFX 6800 GT. Are there any issues i should
> know about?
>
> NBK

nbk

billybronco wrote:
> get the leadtek 6800gt if u can
> "NBK" <NBK@spam.must.die.com> wrote in message
>
>>HI
>>
>>Im am thinking about buyting a XFX 6800 GT. Are there any issues i should
>>know about?
>>
>>NBK

Is the XFX 6800 GT AGP fan noisy?

Si

Yes! I'm thinking of replacing mine with a Zalman V700.

Si

--
> billybronco wrote:
>> get the leadtek 6800gt if u can
>> "NBK" <NBK@spam.must.die.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>HI
>>>
>>>Im am thinking about buyting a XFX 6800 GT. Are there any issues i
>>>should know about?
>>>
>>>NBK
>>

> Is the XFX 6800 GT AGP fan noisy?

Mike

Splendid

>billybronco wrote:
>> get the leadtek 6800gt if u can
>> "NBK" <NBK@spam.must.die.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>HI
>>>
>>>Im am thinking about buyting a XFX 6800 GT. Are there any issues i should
>>>know about?
>>>
>>>NBK
>>

>Is the XFX 6800 GT AGP fan noisy?

No more noisy than others, but I too fitted a Artic Cooler Silencer cooling
unit, and although it reduced the noise a little, I find that the 6800GT Artic
Coolers don't seem as good as the variety they made for my old trusty 9800-Pro
card.

I like my system fairly quiet, so I made a dummy PCI card to carry a low noise
80mm case fan(Slowed down with 33ohm resistor) and I mount this in the adjacent
PCI slot, so its blowing air directly onto the Artic Cooler heatsink, and this
works well. IOW I've just retained the Artic Cooler heatsink and removed their
fan and plastic ducting.

Mike

Si

I've got a PCI card with 2 fans on it and it increased the temp of my card.
Did exactly the opposite to what it said on the tin.

Si

--

Mike left a note on my windscreen which said:

> No more noisy than others, but I too fitted a Artic Cooler Silencer cooling
> unit, and although it reduced the noise a little, I find that the 6800GT Artic
> Coolers don't seem as good as the variety they made for my old trusty 9800-Pro
> card.
>
> I like my system fairly quiet, so I made a dummy PCI card to carry a low noise
> 80mm case fan(Slowed down with 33ohm resistor) and I mount this in the adjacent
> PCI slot, so its blowing air directly onto the Artic Cooler heatsink, and this
> works well. IOW I've just retained the Artic Cooler heatsink and removed their
> fan and plastic ducting.

YMMV but I found the stock coolers on my Asus 6800GTs far too noisy for
my tastes. I don't think they are any louder that any other 6800GT but
I like my PC a bit more stealthy ;)

I looked at the Arctic Cooler solutions for making the cards quieter but
they seemed to get mixed reviews. I eventually bought 2 Zalman Cu700
coolers and am very happy with them. Very easy to fit - even for me!
Much quieter and cooler when running the fans in 12v and if I run them
in 5v my temperatures are just under stock cooler temps and the cards
are inaudible unless I put my ear to them.

The only part of my PC now which isn't virtually silent is that damn
northbridge fan on the nForce 4 chipset which screams along at 8000rpm.
Unfortunately due to it's position on the motherboard with an SLI setup
and the high temperature it runs at I'm very wary of trying to change
it.

I may try to fit a passive Zalman northbridge cooler on it at some point
with a small fan retrofitted onto it to keep the temperatures down.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]