Gateway Hard Drives

Scott

I was watching HSN, and they had a Gateway rep promoting one of
their better desktops for $998. Upon opening the case, he remarked
how upgradeable the Gateway is...saying that cheaper computers often
come with a hard drive that's "soldered to the motherboard".

That's a new one on me.

Any comments?

Scott

Do you expect someone on HSN to know anything about computers?

.... Ben Myers

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 22:54:17 -0500, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

>I was watching HSN, and they had a Gateway rep promoting one of
>their better desktops for $998. Upon opening the case, he remarked
>how upgradeable the Gateway is...saying that cheaper computers often
>come with a hard drive that's "soldered to the motherboard".
>
>That's a new one on me.
>
>Any comments?
>
>Scott

Do you expect anyone that watches the HSN to know the difference? (Obvious
exception being the OP, who I am sure was just flipping channels when he
happened upon those insightful remarks)

> Do you expect someone on HSN to know anything about computers?
>
> ... Ben Myers

Scott

Ben,

I could understand someone at HSN making that foolish remark. But the
comment was, in fact, made by a Gateway factory rep who was a guest
on HSN. He was there to represent the Gateway product line. My
point is, he certainly knew better, but he chose to make that dumb comment
anyway, thinking the audience wouldn't know the difference.

Or, perhaps he was a former Gateway tech support person...and he
actually believed what he was saying :)

Scott

Ben Myers wrote:

> Do you expect someone on HSN to know anything about computers?
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 22:54:17 -0500, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:
>
> >I was watching HSN, and they had a Gateway rep promoting one of
> >their better desktops for $998. Upon opening the case, he remarked
> >how upgradeable the Gateway is...saying that cheaper computers often
> >come with a hard drive that's "soldered to the motherboard".
> >
> >That's a new one on me.
> >
> >Any comments?
> >
> >Scott

Scott

pengulin wrote:

> Do you expect anyone that watches the HSN to know the difference? (Obvious
> exception being the OP, who I am sure was just flipping channels when he
> happened upon those insightful remarks)
>
> > Do you expect someone on HSN to know anything about computers?
> >
> > ... Ben Myers

penguin,

Actually, I was just flipping channels, and I stopped on HSN just to see the latest
Gateway desktop being demonstrated. We all know that HSN (and QVC) "spin"
every product to make it look like the best thing since sliced bread, but I certainly
didn't expect the factory rep himself to say such a stupid thing.

Scott

Clearly, a bald-faced lie. Quite common in this age of bullshit.

Mort

Scott wrote:
> I was watching HSN, and they had a Gateway rep promoting one of
> their better desktops for $998. Upon opening the case, he remarked
> how upgradeable the Gateway is...saying that cheaper computers often
> come with a hard drive that's "soldered to the motherboard".
>
> That's a new one on me.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Scott

Why does this not surprise me? Or should I say, Case Made. Sounds
like their rep force (Idiot Suits from the top) are as dumb about
computers as their outsourced south asian crowd. But you know what the
real shame about this really is? 75% of the American public don't have
a clue about computers either so they believe what idiots like this
gateway turd says on TV and follows the herd out and gets one before
they're all gone. Then the herd ends up having to cry and plead with
their local builder to get the thing running and/or keep it running
because gateway's south asian indian tech force don't have a clue
either.

NIK

***Email address is fake***

Scott wrote:
> I was watching HSN, and they had a Gateway rep promoting one of
> their better desktops for $998. Upon opening the case, he remarked
> how upgradeable the Gateway is...saying that cheaper computers often
> come with a hard drive that's "soldered to the motherboard".
>
> That's a new one on me.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Scott

Ed

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 22:54:17 -0500, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

>a Gateway rep promoting one of their better desktops
>he remarked how upgradeable the Gateway is...saying that cheaper
>computers often come with a hard drive that's
> "soldered to the motherboard".

Just like I have been saying, today's Gateway knows nothing about
computers. They wouldn't know a computer if it jumped up and bit them
in the arse. Today's Gateway is nothing more than a marketing & Sales
firm that pushes Asian made products of which one line is computers
that they have their name painted on the box. There is no American
Assembly line, manned by Americans located in the American Midwest and
definitely no English speaking Americans, manning American phone banks
giving knowledgeable and correct technical support to "home-purchase"
clients (Business accounts are still subcontracted out to English
speaking Americans for right now).

Some may contend that this "Rep" was bogus, simply misspoke, or had a
bad hair day but I contend that he is the epitome of today's Gateway
and further confirms what has been said about this company since the
late 1990s. I wouldn’t doubt that the higher ups, or anyone
associated with gateway would think that HDs are soldered to the MBs.
I’m just surprised that he was able to throw highly technical terms
(High to him) around like ‘Motherboard’ and ‘Hard Drive’.

Regards,
Ed

Scott

Ed wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 22:54:17 -0500, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:
>
> >a Gateway rep promoting one of their better desktops
> >he remarked how upgradeable the Gateway is...saying that cheaper
> >computers often come with a hard drive that's
> > "soldered to the motherboard".
>
> Just like I have been saying, today's Gateway knows nothing about
> computers. They wouldn't know a computer if it jumped up and bit them
> in the arse. Today's Gateway is nothing more than a marketing & Sales
> firm that pushes Asian made products of which one line is computers
> that they have their name painted on the box. There is no American
> Assembly line, manned by Americans located in the American Midwest and
> definitely no English speaking Americans, manning American phone banks
> giving knowledgeable and correct technical support to "home-purchase"
> clients (Business accounts are still subcontracted out to English
> speaking Americans for right now).
>
> Some may contend that this "Rep" was bogus, simply misspoke, or had a
> bad hair day but I contend that he is the epitome of today's Gateway
> and further confirms what has been said about this company since the
> late 1990s. I wouldn’t doubt that the higher ups, or anyone
> associated with gateway would think that HDs are soldered to the MBs.
> I’m just surprised that he was able to throw highly technical terms
> (High to him) around like ‘Motherboard’ and ‘Hard Drive’.
>
> Regards,
> Ed

Ed,

Amen to that! Although I've had excellent success with the many Gateways
I've bought over the last ten years, I haven't needed to call GW tech support
for a couple of years. If I do, I imagine I'll be surprised at how the service
has changed. Not like the old days back in the mid 90's when I could actually
email Ted Waitt and get a prompt answer. The last time I did that, he invited
me to tour the Sioux Falls manufacturing plant. I assume that's no longer
an option.

Ah well...we still have our fond memories :)

Scott

HSN could have hired an actor to portray a Gateway factory rep. Reality meets
fiction meets reality meets fiction. At this point with TV, one never knows
which is which for sure... Ben Myers

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 13:49:14 -0500, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

>Ben,
>
>I could understand someone at HSN making that foolish remark. But the
>comment was, in fact, made by a Gateway factory rep who was a guest
>on HSN. He was there to represent the Gateway product line. My
>point is, he certainly knew better, but he chose to make that dumb comment
>anyway, thinking the audience wouldn't know the difference.
>
>Or, perhaps he was a former Gateway tech support person...and he
>actually believed what he was saying :)
>
>Scott
>
>Ben Myers wrote:
>
>> Do you expect someone on HSN to know anything about computers?
>>
>> ... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 22:54:17 -0500, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:
>>
>> >I was watching HSN, and they had a Gateway rep promoting one of
>> >their better desktops for $998. Upon opening the case, he remarked
>> >how upgradeable the Gateway is...saying that cheaper computers often
>> >come with a hard drive that's "soldered to the motherboard".
>> >
>> >That's a new one on me.
>> >
>> >Any comments?
>> >
>> >Scott

Robert

Sounds similar to the Gateway technician telling me this last January that I
couldn't possibly have been sent the wrong monitor as it is soldered to the
motherboard!

I laughed until I realized that the joke was on me for purchasing a Gateway.

"Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
>I was watching HSN, and they had a Gateway rep promoting one of
> their better desktops for $998. Upon opening the case, he remarked
> how upgradeable the Gateway is...saying that cheaper computers often
> come with a hard drive that's "soldered to the motherboard".
>
> That's a new one on me.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Scott

Do the words "He'll read anything you put on the teleprompter" ring a bell?

lol

KC

"Robert" <rldearmond@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Sounds similar to the Gateway technician telling me this last January that
> couldn't possibly have been sent the wrong monitor as it is soldered to
the
> motherboard!
>
> I laughed until I realized that the joke was on me for purchasing a
Gateway.

> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> >I was watching HSN, and they had a Gateway rep promoting one of
> > their better desktops for $998. Upon opening the case, he remarked
> > how upgradeable the Gateway is...saying that cheaper computers often
> > come with a hard drive that's "soldered to the motherboard".
> >
> > That's a new one on me.
> >
> > Any comments?
> >
> > Scott

Ed

On 24 Jul 2005 18:39:53 -0700, health_wellness@solution4u.com wrote:

>He also speaks
>the local language that just happens to be English around here in
>Hometown USA.

Well, my "Hometown USA" has a large enough Mexican Only Speaking
population that the "American" teachers in the district schools that
do not speak Spanish were told to take a course in it over the summer
or don't report for work in the Fall. This... instead of requiring
the Spanish speaking children to learn English...

Regards,
Ed

As a long time gateway buyer and user, I was saddened by the
demise of the company to its current level. I usually purchased a gateway
every two years, since my first gateway 386. (I was an amiga user before
that for you oldtimers who still remember the old days)
When I finally needed a new computer about six months ago, I
finally went the measure and built my own. It certainly costs more that way,
but the satisfaction level was so much higher.. I mostly brought retail box
items for the extra couple of dollars, everything arrived beautifully from
new egg, as well as some components I got from comp usa.
It is nice having all the documents, software, drivers and all
the extras, plus knowing exactly what I have in the computer, and exactly to
my settings. I guess I was lucky that everything was working and didnt have
to return nary a part.
However, much to my chagrin in a way, I received a gateway
laptop, for fathers day. I have not had to call support or anything as of
yet, since everything is functioning perfectly. Only three dead pixels on
arrival, came with practically no manuals or anything, but so far I am
pleased with the laptop. Its actually the first lap top I have ever owned or
used. I just hope it keeps on working. (my children purchased it from best
buy, and also got me an extended three year warranty) I cant speak hindi or
urdu, and the last time I called for tech support on the old computer to
replace the power supply(the cheapest imaginable these days- (gateway used
to use good quality, stable, power supplies) I had to call up and hang up
three times, till I got someone I could understand. What I did, was tell
them I speak Spanish after the third call and my hunch was correct, I was
directed to a bilingual english/spanish speaking person. It seems like the
indians speak english, but not spanish, so I think I was directed to some
place in Canada, but not sure. Try it next time.

Much regards to all Jerry