PDA for just Outlook Calendar and Excel spreadsheets for t..

April 16, 2004 1:31:52 PM

Hello,

I am considering buying a PDA. My only uses for it at this point is
to view my Calendar (synchronized from MS Outlook). I want to update
my Calendar inputting events throughout the day. I am concerning
about how easy the data input is. I would eventually upload it to my
PC.

My second use is to maintain a 800k or so Excel spreadsheet including
clicking on the filter for a given column. It is my ToDo list. I
will also take quick notes from time to time.

I will likely be carrying it by bicycle for over largely paved roads
but there could be some bumps along the way.

Reading through this group, I see many other users for a PocketPC
(phone, email and web) but I am not interested in them at this point.

For entertainment, I would be interested in having some photos of the
family and others that might be handy. As well, I would be interested
in listening to the odd MP3 and reading an e-book?, Word docs or PDFs.

My question: do they make PDAs to meet those needs I have identified
without email, phone or web access and is it much cheaper.

Thank you,

DouglasV
April 16, 2004 2:41:54 PM

Isn't this like asking if there's a car on the market that you can only
drive on Thursdays?

What PC do you use, out of interest? And what for?

DouglasV wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am considering buying a PDA. My only uses for it at this point is
> to view my Calendar (synchronized from MS Outlook). I want to update
> my Calendar inputting events throughout the day. I am concerning
> about how easy the data input is. I would eventually upload it to my
> PC.
>
> My second use is to maintain a 800k or so Excel spreadsheet including
> clicking on the filter for a given column. It is my ToDo list. I
> will also take quick notes from time to time.
>
> I will likely be carrying it by bicycle for over largely paved roads
> but there could be some bumps along the way.
>
> Reading through this group, I see many other users for a PocketPC
> (phone, email and web) but I am not interested in them at this point.
>
> For entertainment, I would be interested in having some photos of the
> family and others that might be handy. As well, I would be interested
> in listening to the odd MP3 and reading an e-book?, Word docs or PDFs.
>
> My question: do they make PDAs to meet those needs I have identified
> without email, phone or web access and is it much cheaper.
>
> Thank you,
>
> DouglasV
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 4:00:01 PM

"Mike" <no@spam.ta> wrote in news:c5od9i$gn7$1@hercules.btinternet.com:

> Isn't this like asking if there's a car on the market that you can only
> drive on Thursdays?

Hmmmm, I't rather say that he is asking for a car that will allow him to
drive from here to there, without having electrically operated windows,
airco, automatic gearbox, airbags, ABS and all more or less usefull but
not necessary options... back to the essence in a way of speaking.

I'd say that almost any PPC or PDA will do the job. Few things to
consider though:
1. since you want to take it on bike, I'd advice for a good extra case,
one that will prevent the handheld from getting wet when you get
surprised by a sudden shower. It will have to be bought separately, I
don't know of any machine that is sold with adequate casing.
2. don't forget that once you'll have such a machine, you're bound to
find more tasks for it to do than you can imagine now... don't go hunting
for the cheapest model, for that will result in a desillusion sooner or
later. (I know, I did once, and I still regret the choice I then
made....)

--
SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
I'm only human too)
April 16, 2004 4:40:47 PM

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:31:52 GMT, DouglasV
<DouglasV@respond-in-group.com> wrote:

>My question: do they make PDAs to meet those needs I have identified
>without email, phone or web access and is it much cheaper.

If you'd get a basic Pocket PC, you could do all of the things you've
described without any problem. Since the RAM the information is stored
in doesn't have moving parts (like a hard disk would), the bumpy roads
you're talking about should harm the device. Bumping it into your bike
would of course. ;)

Prices are a bit country/brand/store specific, but you could get an HP
iPAQ 1945 or a Toshiba e400 for a little over $200 in the US.

--
Marlof Bregonje
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices [ http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile ]

in addition to the other posts:
You haven't given any details of what filtering or functions you use in
Excel. Pocketexcel only supports a subset of functions from the desktop
version. Do you sort by macro, function, or is it a simple A-Z type?

You mention using Outlook. Is it Outlook or Outlook Express? It is Outlook
that is supported, Outlook Express is commonly used and often called
Outlook.

Your PC is largely irrelevant so long as it meets the minimum specifications
needed for Activesync and Outlook. No minimum spec is shown anywhere for my
device, so I guess the requirements are low- if you can install Outlook and
run it it's probably fine. You can check your potential makers site for
software requirements, or Microsofts site if you feel you need to check.

What you use your PC for is your business.

"Mike" <no@spam.ta> wrote in message
> Isn't this like asking if there's a car on the market that you can only
> drive on Thursdays?
>
> What PC do you use, out of interest? And what for?
>

> DouglasV wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am considering buying a PDA. My only uses for it at this point is
> > to view my Calendar (synchronized from MS Outlook). I want to update
> > my Calendar inputting events throughout the day. I am concerning
> > about how easy the data input is. I would eventually upload it to my
> > PC.
> >
> > My second use is to maintain a 800k or so Excel spreadsheet including
> > clicking on the filter for a given column. It is my ToDo list. I
> > will also take quick notes from time to time.
> >
> > I will likely be carrying it by bicycle for over largely paved roads
> > but there could be some bumps along the way.
> >
> > Reading through this group, I see many other users for a PocketPC
> > (phone, email and web) but I am not interested in them at this point.
> >
> > For entertainment, I would be interested in having some photos of the
> > family and others that might be handy. As well, I would be interested
> > in listening to the odd MP3 and reading an e-book?, Word docs or PDFs.
> >
> > My question: do they make PDAs to meet those needs I have identified
> > without email, phone or web access and is it much cheaper.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > DouglasV

Anonymous
April 16, 2004 6:27:06 PM

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in news:c5ok56$ncn$2
@news6.svr.pol.co.uk:

> You mention using Outlook. Is it Outlook or Outlook Express? It is
Outlook
> that is supported, Outlook Express is commonly used and often called
> Outlook.

since he mentions using the calendar, and doesn't want to use email and
internet, I strongly suspect he means Outlook, and not Outlook Express.
Since Outlook Express doesn't hold calendar-functions....

Try to read and think first before asking more obvious questions please???

--
SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com
"Things may be better tomorrow, though they will never be perfect"
(Cornelis Vreeswijk)

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
I'm only human too)
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 6:45:20 PM

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 13:36:41 +0100, "AlanS"
<news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote:

>You haven't given any details of what filtering or functions you use in
>Excel. Pocketexcel only supports a subset of functions from the desktop
>version. Do you sort by macro, function, or is it a simple A-Z type?

If the original poster wants a more advanced Excel experience, nice
third party alternatives are Spread CE
(http://www.byedesign.freeserve.co.uk/) and PlanMaker (just in beta)
(http://www.softmaker.de/pmp_en.htm).

>You mention using Outlook. Is it Outlook or Outlook Express? It is Outlook
>that is supported, Outlook Express is commonly used and often called
>Outlook.

To make this easier: any Pocket PC will come with Outlook. If he still
prefers Outlook Express, the original poster again will find a third
party solution with Sync Express
(http://www.syncdata.it/syncexpress.html).

--
Marlof Bregonje
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices [ http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile ]
Pocket PC Thoughts [ http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com ]
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 12:49:51 AM

"SoftSpot" <softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in news:c5ok56$ncn$2
> @news6.svr.pol.co.uk:
>
> > You mention using Outlook. Is it Outlook or Outlook Express? It is
> Outlook
> > that is supported, Outlook Express is commonly used and often called
> > Outlook.
> >

> since he mentions using the calendar, and doesn't want to use email and
> internet, I strongly suspect he means Outlook, and not Outlook Express.
> Since Outlook Express doesn't hold calendar-functions....
>
> Try to read and think first before asking more obvious questions please???
>
> --
> SoftSpot

suspect. You don't know. If your guesswork is wrong it isn't very helpful.

Try to think of the user instead of making possible incorrect assumptions.
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 1:56:32 PM

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in news:c5pdgc$7dh$3
@news5.svr.pol.co.uk:

> "SoftSpot" <softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in news:c5ok56$ncn$2
>> @news6.svr.pol.co.uk:
>>
>> > You mention using Outlook. Is it Outlook or Outlook Express? It is
>> Outlook
>> > that is supported, Outlook Express is commonly used and often called
>> > Outlook.
>> >

>> since he mentions using the calendar, and doesn't want to use email
and
>> internet, I strongly suspect he means Outlook, and not Outlook
Express.
>> Since Outlook Express doesn't hold calendar-functions....
>>
>> Try to read and think first before asking more obvious questions
please???

>> --
>> SoftSpot
>>

> suspect. You don't know. If your guesswork is wrong it isn't very
helpful.

> Try to think of the user instead of making possible incorrect
assumptions.

let us say that I am for 99.99% sure of my correctness.... Sufficient?
Simply because Outlook offers calendar-functionality, and Outlook Express
does not. It isn't that hard.....

--
SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com
"Things may be better tomorrow, though they will never be perfect"
(Cornelis Vreeswijk)

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
I'm only human too)
Anonymous
April 17, 2004 10:36:26 PM

> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in news:c5pdgc$7dh$3
> @news5.svr.pol.co.uk:
>

> > "SoftSpot" <softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in news:c5ok56$ncn$2
> >> @news6.svr.pol.co.uk:

> >> Outlook
> >> >

> >> since he mentions using the calendar, and doesn't want to use email
> and
> >> internet, I strongly suspect he means Outlook, and not Outlook
> Express.
> >> Since Outlook Express doesn't hold calendar-functions....
> >>
> >> Try to read and think first before asking more obvious questions
> please???
> >>
> >> --
> >> SoftSpot
> >>

> > suspect. You don't know. If your guesswork is wrong it isn't very
> helpful.
> >
> > Try to think of the user instead of making possible incorrect
> assumptions.
> >

> let us say that I am for 99.99% sure of my correctness.... Sufficient?
> Simply because Outlook offers calendar-functionality, and Outlook Express
> does not. It isn't that hard.....
>
> --
> SoftSpot

That is somewhat of a change from I suspect.
Anonymous
April 18, 2004 2:13:56 AM

Yes, I agree it may not be that common to be interested in a PDA with
no email, internet or phone capabilities. Away from work, I like to
be out of touch; it is a question of peace of mind. I do not carry a
cell phone. My primary interest is to keep my life organized and to
stop carrying around a daytimer with Calendar, ToDo list, some docs,
some reading material, phone numbers (for the cell phone stationary in
my van or if I am away from my desk at work), jotting down some notes
at meetings, stores, etc.

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 10:41:54 +0000 (UTC), "Mike" <no@spam.ta> wrote:

>Isn't this like asking if there's a car on the market that you can only
>drive on Thursdays?
>
>What PC do you use, out of interest? And what for?
>
>DouglasV wrote:
>>
>> I am considering buying a PDA. My only uses for it at this point is
>> to view my Calendar (synchronized from MS Outlook). I want to update
>> my Calendar inputting events throughout the day. I am concerning
>> about how easy the data input is. I would eventually upload it to my
>> PC.
>>
>> My second use is to maintain a 800k or so Excel spreadsheet including
>> clicking on the filter for a given column. It is my ToDo list. I
>> will also take quick notes from time to time.
>>
>> I will likely be carrying it by bicycle for over largely paved roads
>> but there could be some bumps along the way.
>>
>> Reading through this group, I see many other users for a PocketPC
>> (phone, email and web) but I am not interested in them at this point.
>>
>> For entertainment, I would be interested in having some photos of the
>> family and others that might be handy. As well, I would be interested
>> in listening to the odd MP3 and reading an e-book?, Word docs or PDFs.
>>
>> My question: do they make PDAs to meet those needs I have identified
>> without email, phone or web access and is it much cheaper.

Anonymous
April 18, 2004 2:17:42 AM

Thanks Mike. Very true: my requirements will change after I buy the
device. I appreciate putting out my requirements and having the group
evaluate them and asked key questions.

I have been testing my wife's blackberry for a couple of days in my
needs assessment phase. Cell phones can be handy. I am adverse to
the price (more research on the complexity of pricing). Having a cell
phone does not mean I would give it out at work and hence disturb a
perfectly fine walk in the sunshine listening to a great editiorial on
the CBC.

I will be checking out PDAs at the store to see eg. how good the web
surfing looks.

On 16 Apr 2004 12:00:01 GMT, SoftSpot
<softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Mike" <no@spam.ta> wrote in news:c5od9i$gn7$1@hercules.btinternet.com:
>
>> Isn't this like asking if there's a car on the market that you can only
>> drive on Thursdays?
>>

>Hmmmm, I't rather say that he is asking for a car that will allow him to
>drive from here to there, without having electrically operated windows,
>airco, automatic gearbox, airbags, ABS and all more or less usefull but
>not necessary options... back to the essence in a way of speaking.
>
>I'd say that almost any PPC or PDA will do the job. Few things to
>consider though:
>1. since you want to take it on bike, I'd advice for a good extra case,
>one that will prevent the handheld from getting wet when you get
>surprised by a sudden shower. It will have to be bought separately, I
>don't know of any machine that is sold with adequate casing.
>2. don't forget that once you'll have such a machine, you're bound to
>find more tasks for it to do than you can imagine now... don't go hunting
>for the cheapest model, for that will result in a desillusion sooner or
>later. (I know, I did once, and I still regret the choice I then
>made....)
Anonymous
April 18, 2004 2:23:12 AM

I use full Outlook XP just for the Calendar at this point (ie. not
Outlook Express).

Excel filtering: \Data\Filter\Auto Filter. Then in the spreadsheet,
with the keyboard, go to the DOWN arrow on top of a given filtered
column, ALT-DOWN ARROW to pull up filter options, choose Custom. I
put in my filter term. This can be done with the mouse also. I use
my Excel spreadsheets (all tables, no calculations or formulas)
filtered as I key in on eg. my ToDo list for tasks based on Due Date,
Userid, Description, Status, etc. I will test to see how this
functionality/keystrokes will work on a PocketPC. I do not use any
macros in Excel.

Radio Shack clerk today said Palm Pilots do not support MS Office. I
got a confirmation on Palm Pilot user page. It looks like a Palm
converts the doc. I am leary. From this, it sounds like it is
definitely a PocketPC that I am looking at.

Thanks Mike,

DouglasV

!