Sign in with
Your question

Win 7 comp won't start-up after adding second hard drive

Last response: in Windows 7
November 29, 2010 3:48:08 PM

Trying to troubleshoot problems with a hard drive, so I stuck it in another comp as sec. drive. Computer wont start. Checked bios settings and sec drive is recognized in bios and bios settings look good. Says Starting windows and wont do anything else. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
a b $ Windows 7
November 29, 2010 4:37:58 PM

Make the original first disk the master of multiple disks.(disk usually has no jumper and now needs one)
The second is the slave.
if you use CS cable select, the end most connector is the boot or master drive.
Verify that bios is set to boot off of the correct drive.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 29, 2010 8:34:26 PM

IDE or SATA.?
m
l
Related resources
November 29, 2010 10:44:43 PM

They are SATA drives. Thanks for your replies

s
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 30, 2010 7:04:06 AM

maybe Your HDD not clean for other System OS !
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 30, 2010 10:55:33 AM

sounds like a changing of the boot order in BIOS and/or checking for master and slave configuration..
m
l
November 30, 2010 10:58:53 AM

henydiah said:
maybe Your HDD not clean for other System OS !

I'm sorry, What do you mean not clean and what can I do so the computer will recognize it?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 30, 2010 11:34:36 PM

ussualy you have OLD PC & old HDD contain system example winXP & u buy New PC ..
in new pc you want add old HDD.. it can make crash !
old HDD must format !
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 1, 2010 2:36:37 AM

mustang663 said:
Trying to troubleshoot problems with a hard drive, so I stuck it in another comp as sec. drive. Computer wont start. Checked bios settings and sec drive is recognized in bios and bios settings look good. Says Starting windows and wont do anything else. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You can't just transplant a systems drive from one pc to another and expect it to boot, life is not that simple.
While it's fine to install it in another pc to recover files, or check that it does work as it should, you you can't diagnose system problems on another pc.
It could be hardware or drivers that are creating the problem, which can't be verified by putting the drive in another pc.
Put it back as it was orginaly, report the problems and supply any error messages
m
l
December 1, 2010 9:26:18 AM

Hi Jonmor, Thx for your reply. I was trying to recover an important file. I wasnt sure if there are jumper settings for SATA drives like IDE drives. Anyway, I took the drive to a professional and he said that the drive is dead. Thanks for everyone's help and advice.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 1, 2010 9:42:52 AM

I would have liked to see it..
m
l
!