Win 7 comp won't start-up after adding second hard drive

mustang663

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Trying to troubleshoot problems with a hard drive, so I stuck it in another comp as sec. drive. Computer wont start. Checked bios settings and sec drive is recognized in bios and bios settings look good. Says Starting windows and wont do anything else. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

mhelm1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Make the original first disk the master of multiple disks.(disk usually has no jumper and now needs one)
The second is the slave.
if you use CS cable select, the end most connector is the boot or master drive.
Verify that bios is set to boot off of the correct drive.

Jonmor68

Distinguished

You can't just transplant a systems drive from one pc to another and expect it to boot, life is not that simple.
While it's fine to install it in another pc to recover files, or check that it does work as it should, you you can't diagnose system problems on another pc.
It could be hardware or drivers that are creating the problem, which can't be verified by putting the drive in another pc.
Put it back as it was orginaly, report the problems and supply any error messages

mustang663

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Hi Jonmor, Thx for your reply. I was trying to recover an important file. I wasnt sure if there are jumper settings for SATA drives like IDE drives. Anyway, I took the drive to a professional and he said that the drive is dead. Thanks for everyone's help and advice.