What about this setup?

OK so as you all may be aware, I've been mulling over upgrade options.

Is this overkill/ pointless? Or a good setup? (Prices are Australian)
I think it is, but I also think I need your collective wisdom.

Get:

SLI/Dual-core capable motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe ($225).
1x 6800GT 256MB Leadtek PCI-Ex ($635)
1x 512 Kingston DDR400 ($70 - 512 existing)
1x Athlon 64 3200+ ($255)

I imagine that this leaves options open for further upgrades: Dual-core
processor & SLI cards. In a year or two.

Currently have:

Ye olde worlde Gigabyte MB (GA-7S748)
1x Radeon 9600XT 256MB AGP
1x Athlon XP2600+

"Dragoncarer" <notrightnow@oops.haha> wrote in message
> OK so as you all may be aware, I've been mulling over upgrade options.
>
> Is this overkill/ pointless? Or a good setup? (Prices are Australian)
> I think it is, but I also think I need your collective wisdom.
>
> Get:
>
> SLI/Dual-core capable motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe ($225).
> 1x 6800GT 256MB Leadtek PCI-Ex ($635)
> 1x 512 Kingston DDR400 ($70 - 512 existing)
> 1x Athlon 64 3200+ ($255)
>
> I imagine that this leaves options open for further upgrades:
> Dual-core processor & SLI cards. In a year or two.
>
> Currently have:
>
> Ye olde worlde Gigabyte MB (GA-7S748)
> 1x Radeon 9600XT 256MB AGP
> 1x Athlon XP2600+

Oh yeah :) That's my kinda thinkin there kiddo! DATS muh boy dere!!!!!
;-p LOL!
You've got a good basic rig there with plenty of room for upgrading, but
I'd hate living in Oz if your bucks is similar to ours. I like the
dual core A64's due out this summer! I wants one! I agree with the OP
too, get one 6800GT-256 meg now and if you feel the crunch in games
later then get another one and slap in there.
McG.

> "Dragoncarer" <notrightnow@oops.haha> wrote in message
>> OK so as you all may be aware, I've been mulling over upgrade options.
>>
>> Is this overkill/ pointless? Or a good setup? (Prices are Australian)
>> I think it is, but I also think I need your collective wisdom.
>>
>> Get:
>>
>> SLI/Dual-core capable motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe ($225).
>> 1x 6800GT 256MB Leadtek PCI-Ex ($635)
>> 1x 512 Kingston DDR400 ($70 - 512 existing)
>> 1x Athlon 64 3200+ ($255)
>>
>> I imagine that this leaves options open for further upgrades:
>> Dual-core processor & SLI cards. In a year or two.
>>
>> Currently have:
>>
>> Ye olde worlde Gigabyte MB (GA-7S748)
>> 1x Radeon 9600XT 256MB AGP
>> 1x Athlon XP2600+
>
> Oh yeah :) That's my kinda thinkin there kiddo! DATS muh boy dere!!!!!
> ;-p LOL!
> You've got a good basic rig there with plenty of room for upgrading, but
> I'd hate living in Oz if your bucks is similar to ours. I like the dual
> core A64's due out this summer! I wants one! I agree with the OP too,
> get one 6800GT-256 meg now and if you feel the crunch in games later then
> get another one and slap in there.
> McG.

lol...thanks McG. I know I can trust you! ;)
Meanwhile - 1 Aussie dollar equals about 70 cents (it fluctuates a lot, at
the mo it's about 76).
And the other thing - but I'll need to buy a 256MB SLI-capable 6800GT, won't
I? I can't just buy a 'normal' 6800GT 256.

>> "Dragoncarer" <notrightnow@oops.haha> wrote in message
>>> OK so as you all may be aware, I've been mulling over upgrade
>>> options. Is this overkill/ pointless? Or a good setup? (Prices are
>>> Australian) I think it is, but I also think I need your collective
>>> wisdom. Get:
>>>
>>> SLI/Dual-core capable motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe ($225).
>>> 1x 6800GT 256MB Leadtek PCI-Ex ($635)
>>> 1x 512 Kingston DDR400 ($70 - 512 existing)
>>> 1x Athlon 64 3200+ ($255)
>>>
>>> I imagine that this leaves options open for further upgrades:
>>> Dual-core processor & SLI cards. In a year or two.
>>>
>>> Currently have:
>>>
>>> Ye olde worlde Gigabyte MB (GA-7S748)
>>> 1x Radeon 9600XT 256MB AGP
>>> 1x Athlon XP2600+
>>
>> Oh yeah :) That's my kinda thinkin there kiddo! DATS muh boy
>> dere!!!!! ;-p LOL!
>> You've got a good basic rig there with plenty of room for upgrading,
>> but I'd hate living in Oz if your bucks is similar to ours. I like
>> the dual core A64's due out this summer! I wants one! I agree with
>> the OP too, get one 6800GT-256 meg now and if you feel the crunch in
>> games later then get another one and slap in there.
>> McG.
>>

> lol...thanks McG. I know I can trust you! ;)
> Meanwhile - 1 Aussie dollar equals about 70 cents (it fluctuates a
> lot, at the mo it's about 76).
> And the other thing - but I'll need to buy a 256MB SLI-capable
> 6800GT, won't I? I can't just buy a 'normal' 6800GT 256.

Um, there is one 6800GT that I know of, and it's SLI capable. In other
words, if it's a PCI-e 6800GT, it's SLI capable. Oh, the AGP like I
have makes two. And it's not SLI capable :) It's just plain capable!
McG.