What about this setup?

OK so as you all may be aware, I've been mulling over upgrade options.

Is this overkill/ pointless? Or a good setup? (Prices are Australian)
I think it is, but I also think I need your collective wisdom.

Get:

SLI/Dual-core capable motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe ($225).
1x 6800GT 256MB Leadtek PCI-Ex ($635)
1x 512 Kingston DDR400 ($70 - 512 existing)
1x Athlon 64 3200+ ($255)

I imagine that this leaves options open for further upgrades: Dual-core
processor & SLI cards. In a year or two.

Currently have:

Ye olde worlde Gigabyte MB (GA-7S748)
1x Radeon 9600XT 256MB AGP
1x Athlon XP2600+
3 answers Last reply
More about what setup

    "Dragoncarer" <notrightnow@oops.haha> wrote in message
    > OK so as you all may be aware, I've been mulling over upgrade options.
    >
    > Is this overkill/ pointless? Or a good setup? (Prices are Australian)
    > I think it is, but I also think I need your collective wisdom.
    >
    > Get:
    >
    > SLI/Dual-core capable motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe ($225).
    > 1x 6800GT 256MB Leadtek PCI-Ex ($635)
    > 1x 512 Kingston DDR400 ($70 - 512 existing)
    > 1x Athlon 64 3200+ ($255)
    >
    > I imagine that this leaves options open for further upgrades:
    > Dual-core processor & SLI cards. In a year or two.
    >
    > Currently have:
    >
    > Ye olde worlde Gigabyte MB (GA-7S748)
    > 1x Radeon 9600XT 256MB AGP
    > 1x Athlon XP2600+

    Oh yeah :) That's my kinda thinkin there kiddo! DATS muh boy dere!!!!!
    ;-p LOL!
    You've got a good basic rig there with plenty of room for upgrading, but
    I'd hate living in Oz if your bucks is similar to ours. I like the
    dual core A64's due out this summer! I wants one! I agree with the OP
    too, get one 6800GT-256 meg now and if you feel the crunch in games
    later then get another one and slap in there.
    McG.

    > "Dragoncarer" <notrightnow@oops.haha> wrote in message
    >> OK so as you all may be aware, I've been mulling over upgrade options.
    >>
    >> Is this overkill/ pointless? Or a good setup? (Prices are Australian)
    >> I think it is, but I also think I need your collective wisdom.
    >>
    >> Get:
    >>
    >> SLI/Dual-core capable motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe ($225).
    >> 1x 6800GT 256MB Leadtek PCI-Ex ($635)
    >> 1x 512 Kingston DDR400 ($70 - 512 existing)
    >> 1x Athlon 64 3200+ ($255)
    >>
    >> I imagine that this leaves options open for further upgrades:
    >> Dual-core processor & SLI cards. In a year or two.
    >>
    >> Currently have:
    >>
    >> Ye olde worlde Gigabyte MB (GA-7S748)
    >> 1x Radeon 9600XT 256MB AGP
    >> 1x Athlon XP2600+
    >
    > Oh yeah :) That's my kinda thinkin there kiddo! DATS muh boy dere!!!!!
    > ;-p LOL!
    > You've got a good basic rig there with plenty of room for upgrading, but
    > I'd hate living in Oz if your bucks is similar to ours. I like the dual
    > core A64's due out this summer! I wants one! I agree with the OP too,
    > get one 6800GT-256 meg now and if you feel the crunch in games later then
    > get another one and slap in there.
    > McG.

    lol...thanks McG. I know I can trust you! ;)
    Meanwhile - 1 Aussie dollar equals about 70 cents (it fluctuates a lot, at
    the mo it's about 76).
    And the other thing - but I'll need to buy a 256MB SLI-capable 6800GT, won't
    I? I can't just buy a 'normal' 6800GT 256.

    >> "Dragoncarer" <notrightnow@oops.haha> wrote in message
    >>> OK so as you all may be aware, I've been mulling over upgrade
    >>> options. Is this overkill/ pointless? Or a good setup? (Prices are
    >>> Australian) I think it is, but I also think I need your collective
    >>> wisdom. Get:
    >>>
    >>> SLI/Dual-core capable motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe ($225).
    >>> 1x 6800GT 256MB Leadtek PCI-Ex ($635)
    >>> 1x 512 Kingston DDR400 ($70 - 512 existing)
    >>> 1x Athlon 64 3200+ ($255)
    >>>
    >>> I imagine that this leaves options open for further upgrades:
    >>> Dual-core processor & SLI cards. In a year or two.
    >>>
    >>> Currently have:
    >>>
    >>> Ye olde worlde Gigabyte MB (GA-7S748)
    >>> 1x Radeon 9600XT 256MB AGP
    >>> 1x Athlon XP2600+
    >>
    >> Oh yeah :) That's my kinda thinkin there kiddo! DATS muh boy
    >> dere!!!!! ;-p LOL!
    >> You've got a good basic rig there with plenty of room for upgrading,
    >> but I'd hate living in Oz if your bucks is similar to ours. I like
    >> the dual core A64's due out this summer! I wants one! I agree with
    >> the OP too, get one 6800GT-256 meg now and if you feel the crunch in
    >> games later then get another one and slap in there.
    >> McG.
    >>

    > lol...thanks McG. I know I can trust you! ;)
    > Meanwhile - 1 Aussie dollar equals about 70 cents (it fluctuates a
    > lot, at the mo it's about 76).
    > And the other thing - but I'll need to buy a 256MB SLI-capable
    > 6800GT, won't I? I can't just buy a 'normal' 6800GT 256.

    Um, there is one 6800GT that I know of, and it's SLI capable. In other
    words, if it's a PCI-e 6800GT, it's SLI capable. Oh, the AGP like I
    have makes two. And it's not SLI capable :) It's just plain capable!
    McG.

Nvidia SLI Dual Core Graphics