SLI 128MB 6600GT or 256MB 6800GT

??
Which is a better option:

2x 128MB 6600GTs in SLI
or
1x 256MB 6800GT

(considering all things equal, eg memory speed etc.)
10 answers Last reply
More about 128mb 6600gt 256mb 6800gt

    Dragoncarer left a note on my windscreen which said:

    > ??
    > Which is a better option:
    >
    > 2x 128MB 6600GTs in SLI
    > or
    > 1x 256MB 6800GT
    >
    > (considering all things equal, eg memory speed etc.)

    Personally I would opt for an SLI capable motherboard (Asus A8N) and buy
    a single 6800GT.

    My reasoning would be that while games which take full advantage of SLI
    (Far Cry for example) will probably perform better on a 6600GT SLI
    system the difference will not be too great. Games which do not take
    advantage of SLI at all (GTA:SA) will be faster.

    Plus this will leave you an upgrade route to 6800GT SLI in the future
    when the prices for that card comes down, assuming you can find an
    identical model.
    --
    Stoneskin

    [Insert sig text here]

    Dragoncarer wrote:

    " Which is a better option: 2x 128MB 6600GTs in SLI or 1x 256MB 6800GT
    (considering all things equal, eg memory speed etc.) "

    Not all games support SLI, and you would only get the performance of a
    single 6600GT in those. http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_game.html

    I think it would be better to buy a 256MB 6800GT, especially one from a
    manufacturer also selling SLI motherboards. There will be much more
    pressure on them to continue supplying the 6800GT throughout 2006. You
    can then add another one, by which time they will be a little cheaper too.

    The following article gives a performance comparison between a number of
    single and SLI-configured cards.
    http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q1/geforce6600gt-sli/index.x?pg=1

    "Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
    > Dragoncarer left a note on my windscreen which said:
    >
    >> ??
    >> Which is a better option:
    >>
    >> 2x 128MB 6600GTs in SLI
    >> or
    >> 1x 256MB 6800GT
    >>
    >> (considering all things equal, eg memory speed etc.)
    >
    > Personally I would opt for an SLI capable motherboard (Asus A8N) and buy
    > a single 6800GT.

    That's what I'm planning for! So that's good you're thinking the same
    thing - validation!

    > My reasoning would be that while games which take full advantage of SLI
    > (Far Cry for example) will probably perform better on a 6600GT SLI
    > system the difference will not be too great. Games which do not take
    > advantage of SLI at all (GTA:SA) will be faster.
    >
    > Plus this will leave you an upgrade route to 6800GT SLI in the future
    > when the prices for that card comes down, assuming you can find an
    > identical model.

    Or a newer card range...which brings me to: Will a 7000 series card work on
    a current nForce 4 chipset MB? (IE., the A8N-SLI Deluxe).

    > --
    > Stoneskin
    >
    > [Insert sig text here]

    Dragoncarer left a note on my windscreen which said:

    > Or a newer card range...which brings me to: Will a 7000 series card work on
    > a current nForce 4 chipset MB? (IE., the A8N-SLI Deluxe).

    Yes.
    --
    Stoneskin

    [Insert sig text here]

    "Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message
    > Dragoncarer wrote:
    >
    > " Which is a better option: 2x 128MB 6600GTs in SLI or 1x 256MB 6800GT
    > (considering all things equal, eg memory speed etc.) "
    >

    > Not all games support SLI, and you would only get the performance of a
    > single 6600GT in those. http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_game.html
    >
    > I think it would be better to buy a 256MB 6800GT, especially one from a
    > manufacturer also selling SLI motherboards. There will be much more
    > pressure on them to continue supplying the 6800GT throughout 2006. You
    > can then add another one, by which time they will be a little cheaper too.

    But I'll need to buy an SLI-capable 6800GT if I want to add another one down
    the track, won't I? Or will there be bridgey-converstion type doodads for
    that at some stage? This is where I'm most confused by SLI...

    > Dragoncarer left a note on my windscreen which said:
    >
    >> Or a newer card range...which brings me to: Will a 7000 series card work
    >> on
    >> a current nForce 4 chipset MB? (IE., the A8N-SLI Deluxe).
    >
    > Yes.

    Ta.

    > --
    > Stoneskin
    >
    > [Insert sig text here]

    All geforce 6600GT's and 6800 series are SLI capable

    Dan

    Dragoncarer wrote:

    " But I'll need to buy an SLI-capable 6800GT if I want to add another
    one down the track, won't I? Or will there be bridgey-converstion type
    doodads for that at some stage? This is where I'm most confused by SLI... "

    All cards with a 6600, 6660GT, 6800LE, 6800, 6800GT, 6800 Ultra or 7800
    GTX GPU have the SLI connection on them. The bridge to connect them
    both is included with all SLI-capable motherboards.

    http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build.html

    Say whaaaaaaaaaaaa?

    *does double take*

    You mean...really...but...oh wow. Oh very wow.

    So why do some manufacturer's list a board as '6800GT SLI' or somesuch, and
    others not? Is it just a silly nisnomer, then? This is wonderful. Thankyou
    very much.

    "Dragoncarer" <notrightnow@oops.haha> wrote in message
    > Say whaaaaaaaaaaaa?
    >
    > *does double take*
    >
    > You mean...really...but...oh wow. Oh very wow.
    >
    > So why do some manufacturer's list a board as '6800GT SLI' or
    > somesuch, and others not? Is it just a silly nisnomer, then? This is
    > wonderful. Thankyou very much.
    >

    > "Dan" <d.d.com> wrote in message
    >> All geforce 6600GT's and 6800 series are SLI capable
    >>
    >> Dan

    Do keep in mind that there is no SLI in AGP versions at all. That is
    only with PCI-e.
    McG.

Nvidia SLI Memory Graphics