Graphics card upgrade? help???

I have been out of the graphics card game for quite some time. I have
a GeForce4 4200Ti, AGP 128MB graphics card. I play CS Sourse and HL2
a lot and i am sure my card is slowing my system down. What would be
worthwhile upgrade of my card for the min amount of money, i only have
about £50 to spend. Also, is PCI express better than AGP 8x???

Thanks
Ed

AMD XP2800+ (11x200=2200mhz 400mhsFSB)
512 MB DDR 400 Samsung PC3200 (Dual Channel)
ASRock K7V88
GeForce4 4200 Ti
Seagate 80GB Barracudda

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Nvidia-Graphics-card-upgrade-help-ftopict58090.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=293532

PCI-Express requires a new motherboard on your part, you know. You can only
use an AGP model with your board. And at only 50 Pounds you are not going
to get a video card that faster than your current one.

--
DaveW

"edrafp" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
>I have been out of the graphics card game for quite some time. I have
> a GeForce4 4200Ti, AGP 128MB graphics card. I play CS Sourse and HL2
> a lot and i am sure my card is slowing my system down. What would be
> worthwhile upgrade of my card for the min amount of money, i only have
> about £50 to spend. Also, is PCI express better than AGP 8x???
>
> Thanks
> Ed
>
> AMD XP2800+ (11x200=2200mhz 400mhsFSB)
> 512 MB DDR 400 Samsung PC3200 (Dual Channel)
> ASRock K7V88
> GeForce4 4200 Ti
> Seagate 80GB Barracudda

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Nvidia-Graphics-card-upgrade-help-ftopict58090.html
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=293532

"edrafp" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
> I have been out of the graphics card game for quite some time. I have
> a GeForce4 4200Ti, AGP 128MB graphics card. I play CS Sourse and HL2
> a lot and i am sure my card is slowing my system down. What would be
> worthwhile upgrade of my card for the min amount of money, i only have
> about £50 to spend. Also, is PCI express better than AGP 8x???
>
> Thanks
> Ed
>
> AMD XP2800+ (11x200=2200mhz 400mhsFSB)
> 512 MB DDR 400 Samsung PC3200 (Dual Channel)
> ASRock K7V88
> GeForce4 4200 Ti
> Seagate 80GB Barracudda

-- For 50 pounds(don't have the pound sign) or what, $75 U.S. ,your not
going to get much if any improvement. You'll have to do a little better like
an nvidia 5900 or ATI 9800 pro. Even then some newer games like Battlefield
2 will bog down.The Nvidia 6600GT is the swett spot right now but it costs
$160(here in the U.S.) for an OEM card.

left a note on my windscreen which said:

> -- For 50 pounds(don't have the pound sign) or what, $75 U.S. ,your not
> going to get much if any improvement. You'll have to do a little better like
> an nvidia 5900 or ATI 9800 pro. Even then some newer games like Battlefield
> 2 will bog down.The Nvidia 6600GT is the swett spot right now but it costs
> $160(here in the U.S.) for an OEM card.

I would second the recommendation for an AGP 6600GT.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]

"" wrote:
> left a note on my windscreen which said:
>
> > -- For 50 pounds(don't have the pound sign) or what, $75
> U.S. ,your not
> > going to get much if any improvement. You'll have to do a
> little better like
> > an nvidia 5900 or ATI 9800 pro. Even then some newer games
> like Battlefield
> > 2 will bog down.The Nvidia 6600GT is the swett spot right
> now but it costs
> > $160(here in the U.S.) for an OEM card.
>
> I would second the recommendation for an AGP 6600GT.
> --
> Stoneskin
>
> [Insert sig text here]

Would a Fx5900 be an upgrade for me from the 4200Ti ??? Would it make
that much difference????

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Nvidia-Graphics-card-upgrade-help-ftopict58090.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=294046

edrafp left a note on my windscreen which said:

> Would a Fx5900 be an upgrade for me from the 4200Ti ??? Would it make
> that much difference????

You should see a difference - the FX5900 is a faster card and also fully
DX9 compliant.

Check out http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/index.html
for a direct comparison between the Ti4200 and FX5900 among several
other cards.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

Fully DX9 compliant? HL2 does not think so.

DaveL

"Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
> edrafp left a note on my windscreen which said:
>
>> Would a Fx5900 be an upgrade for me from the 4200Ti ??? Would it make
>> that much difference????
>
> You should see a difference - the FX5900 is a faster card and also fully
> DX9 compliant.
>
> Check out http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/index.html
> for a direct comparison between the Ti4200 and FX5900 among several
> other cards.
> --
> Stoneskin
>
> [Insert sig text here]