How can I find outlook express contacts and emails in Norton ghost

Steve Gardner

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Hello,
My XP computer crashed and I now have Windows 7. I backed up my old PC with Norton Ghost 10 and have installed Ghost 15 on the new one. It doesn't recognise the recovery points I created, presumably because they relate to the old PC. I can however get it to back up from the recovery points by clicking on them when I display the contents of my hard drive. What I can't work out is how to search for my old Outlook Express emails and address book.Where should I look or how can I search for .dbx if that is the correct file extension? And will Windows 7 recognise the data if I find the files? Any advice would be very welcome particularly if understandable by someone who is largely ignorant of computer matters.
Steve

jake1121

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Try looking somewhere like:
C:\Documents and Settings\????\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{8F63B40D-5501-4202-C228E-375466A3A1AC}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Outlook Express stored its Contacts information in a .wab (Windows Address Book) file. Its default location:

C:\Documents and Settings\{YourWindowsLoginName}\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\{YourWindowsLoginName}.wab

Outlook Express e-mail folders have a .dbx file extension and are located in the directory structure like the following:

C:\Documents and Settings\{YourWindowsLoginName}\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{... globally unique identifier or GUID ...}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

The standard/default files were:

Deleted Items.dbx
Drafts.dbx
Folders.dbx
Inbox.dbx
Local Folders.dbx
Offline.dbx
Outbox.dbx
Pop3uidl.dbx
Sent Items.dbx

AlexisMontminy

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014
If Outlook says it's corrupt them you gonna have to create a new one.

Try to do a backup of everything by doing a Export from Outlook to backup.pst

If this doesn't work then you will have to re-create your Outlook client and YOU WILL LOOSE YOUR E-MAIL INFO.
Or,
Go to TOOLS->EMAIL ACCOUNTS->VIEW OR CHANGE EXISTING ADDRESS BOOKS OR DIRECTORIES and remove the "Personal Address Book", then restart Outlook and see if you are still getting the error message.
Try to install Recovery Toolbox for Address Book http://www.outlookexpressaddressrecovery.recoverytoolbox.com/
Read here about file corruption: http://www.filerepairforum.com/forum/microsoft/microsoft-aa/outlook-express/525-got-a-problem-with-outlook-express-what-to-do