What card to get for kids computer?

I am currently in the process of purchasing the components to upgrade
my kids (4 amd 7 years old) computer. I am going to put together a P4
3.2Ghz Slot T Mboard w/PCI E. I am currently contemplating what
graphic card to get. I don't want to get more card than they really
need right now, and plan to upgrade it when they start getting into
games that demand it.

I was looking at the 6600GT but I am thinking that it might be more
card than they need right now. The kids aren't into graphic intensive
games yet. They are into Petz 5, and other age appropriate games at
the time which don't seem to put a strain on the computer.

Any advice from you graphics card people would be greatly appreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about what card kids computer

    "Ray Porier" <ray@cloquetmn.net> wrote in message
    > I am currently in the process of purchasing the components to upgrade
    > my kids (4 amd 7 years old) computer. I am going to put together a P4
    > 3.2Ghz Slot T Mboard w/PCI E. I am currently contemplating what
    > graphic card to get. I don't want to get more card than they really
    > need right now, and plan to upgrade it when they start getting into
    > games that demand it.
    >
    > I was looking at the 6600GT but I am thinking that it might be more
    > card than they need right now. The kids aren't into graphic intensive
    > games yet. They are into Petz 5, and other age appropriate games at
    > the time which don't seem to put a strain on the computer.
    >
    > Any advice from you graphics card people would be greatly appreciated.

    Go for the 6600GT. Better to have more available. You'll most likely find
    that you need it sooner rather tahn later. There's some good deals at
    Newegg.com for around $160

    If they are not playing hi res fast moving graphic intensive games a nice
    cheap GForce 5200 128Mb will be more than enough and is DX9 compatible.

    --
    Marcus

    I like people, they are bio-degradable !.

    That might be a good choice, if it was available in PCI-Express. I believe
    that the 5200 is only available in AGP and PCI. The original poster could
    probably use a PCI version, as most PCI-E mainboards also have PCI slots,
    but I wouldn't recommend it for games.

    Try www.newegg.com (for US customers). The low-end PCI-E cards use the ATI
    Radeon X300 processor or the nVidia Geforce 6200TC. (A regular 6200, without
    the "turbo cache", might be worth the additional cost.)

    A vanilla 6600 or a 6600GT would be nice, to go with a P4 3.2. Newegg has
    128 MB 6600 cards for a little over $100US.

    HTH.

    Bob Knowlden

    "Marcus" <Asif@GetReal.com> wrote in message
    > If they are not playing hi res fast moving graphic intensive games a nice
    > cheap GForce 5200 128Mb will be more than enough and is DX9 compatible.
    >
    > --
    > Marcus
    >
    > I like people, they are bio-degradable !.

    You can go for a MB with the graphic card OB. You can find some with MX440
    or even ATI X300 ones.
    Then you'll be able to buy a better graphic card when needed, if ever. I
    guess you won't need any better graphic card for the next 2-3 yrs.

    "Ray Porier" <ray@cloquetmn.net> wrote in message
    >I am currently in the process of purchasing the components to upgrade
    > my kids (4 amd 7 years old) computer. I am going to put together a P4
    > 3.2Ghz Slot T Mboard w/PCI E. I am currently contemplating what
    > graphic card to get. I don't want to get more card than they really
    > need right now, and plan to upgrade it when they start getting into
    > games that demand it.
    >
    > I was looking at the 6600GT but I am thinking that it might be more
    > card than they need right now. The kids aren't into graphic intensive
    > games yet. They are into Petz 5, and other age appropriate games at
    > the time which don't seem to put a strain on the computer.
    >
    > Any advice from you graphics card people would be greatly appreciated.

Nvidia Graphics Cards Computer Games Graphics