PPC 'cron' /automated tasks-- ' wake to music'

April 16, 2004 8:19:22 AM

Is there a way to automatically kick off programs at a certain time/date
like Windows 'automated tasks' or Unix Cron?

Is there a way to 'wake to music' (streamed WMA and/or Real files)?

Please respond to group.

Thanks
Anonymous
April 18, 2004 10:46:32 AM

Thanks - it worked - BUT, once I softreset, my PocketPC no longer boots up!
Luckily, I use SpriteBackup to automatically back up my PPC... and restored it.

I emailed the alarmToday people to see if they have any ideas...

Any other software which will wake to a program/music?

Thanks

"Jakub Kanczugowski" <duncan@no-spam-ever.ceti.pl> wrote in message news:<eyIVOk8IEHA.3220@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> alarmToday v2.0 will launch specific chosen apps at specific time and will
> play MP3s at wake up events.
>
> http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=10342
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 7:52:13 PM

danr_18@yahoo.com (Daniel Rosenzweig) wrote:

>Thanks - it worked - BUT, once I softreset, my PocketPC no longer boots up!
>Luckily, I use SpriteBackup to automatically back up my PPC... and restored it.
>
>I emailed the alarmToday people to see if they have any ideas...
>
>Any other software which will wake to a program/music?

I'd be very interested to know of any candidates too please, as my PPC
and alarmToday never did get on well.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

Well, regarding alarmToday - the developer is working with me to see
what's going on... Did you test the latest version? Of course, BACK
UP your PDA first.

Below are ones that I've found searching google, that look interesting
-- but I've only tried alarmToday and SuperAlert - since I'm hoping to
get alarmToday to work.

alarmToday has its own alarms, while SuperAlert applies its settings
to the system alarms. One set of settings, per alarm TYPE (clock vs
calendar etc) As a result, one setting applies to all alarms of that
type.
Using the OS alarms has pluses and minuses...
A minus of this 'globality' is that if I want to wake to music with
a WIFI card connected, it'll try to make the same connection, even if
I set
an alarm to go off in the afternoon, when I have to Internet
connection.

If others can add/subtract to the list, I'm sure it'd be appreciated.

AlarmToday
http://www.pocketmax.net

Atalarm (also snooze?)
http://www.atechware.com/products.htm

Coolclock
http://www.applian.com/pocketpc/coolclock/index.php

SuperAlert http://www.pocketfillers.com/

Mobialarm
http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=4256&a...
id=459

Terry Pinnell <terrypin@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message news:<7j2d8013jcdemb4bdrshb05sl27478hk77@4ax.com>...
> danr_18@yahoo.com (Daniel Rosenzweig) wrote:
>
> >Thanks - it worked - BUT, once I softreset, my PocketPC no longer boots up!
> >Luckily, I use SpriteBackup to automatically back up my PPC... and restored it.
> >
> >I emailed the alarmToday people to see if they have any ideas...
> >
> >Any other software which will wake to a program/music?
>
> I'd be very interested to know of any candidates too please, as my PPC
> and alarmToday never did get on well.
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 3:10:08 PM

danr_18@yahoo.com (Daniel Rosenzweig) wrote:

>Well, regarding alarmToday - the developer is working with me to see
>what's going on... Did you test the latest version? Of course, BACK
>UP your PDA first.
>
>Below are ones that I've found searching google, that look interesting
>-- but I've only tried alarmToday and SuperAlert - since I'm hoping to
>get alarmToday to work.
>
>alarmToday has its own alarms, while SuperAlert applies its settings
>to the system alarms. One set of settings, per alarm TYPE (clock vs
>calendar etc) As a result, one setting applies to all alarms of that
>type.
>Using the OS alarms has pluses and minuses...
>A minus of this 'globality' is that if I want to wake to music with
>a WIFI card connected, it'll try to make the same connection, even if
>I set
>an alarm to go off in the afternoon, when I have to Internet
>connection.
>
>If others can add/subtract to the list, I'm sure it'd be appreciated.
>
>AlarmToday
>http://www.pocketmax.net
>
>Atalarm (also snooze?)
>http://www.atechware.com/products.htm
>
>Coolclock
>http://www.applian.com/pocketpc/coolclock/index.php
>
>SuperAlert http://www.pocketfillers.com/
>
>Mobialarm
>http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=4256&a...
>id=459
>

>Terry Pinnell <terrypin@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message news:<7j2d8013jcdemb4bdrshb05sl27478hk77@4ax.com>...
>> danr_18@yahoo.com (Daniel Rosenzweig) wrote:
>>
>> >Thanks - it worked - BUT, once I softreset, my PocketPC no longer boots up!
>> >Luckily, I use SpriteBackup to automatically back up my PPC... and restored it.
>> >
>> >I emailed the alarmToday people to see if they have any ideas...
>> >
>> >Any other software which will wake to a program/music?
>>
>> I'd be very interested to know of any candidates too please, as my PPC
>> and alarmToday never did get on well.

Many thanks, I'll try those that are new to me.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Anonymous

I believe PocketMusic has the ability to use music as a wake alarm . See
Options>Player Options>Timers where there's an "alarm clock" tick box with
wake up device and start playing on...with a time scale for setting the
alarm.

Haven't used it as an alarm clock, though. Prefer StopTime for that, which
is excellent (and free like PocketMusic).

Good Luck.

Bob

"Daniel Rosenzweig" <danr_18@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Well, regarding alarmToday - the developer is working with me to see
> what's going on... Did you test the latest version? Of course, BACK
> UP your PDA first.
>
> Below are ones that I've found searching google, that look interesting
> -- but I've only tried alarmToday and SuperAlert - since I'm hoping to
> get alarmToday to work.
>
> alarmToday has its own alarms, while SuperAlert applies its settings
> to the system alarms. One set of settings, per alarm TYPE (clock vs
> calendar etc) As a result, one setting applies to all alarms of that
> type.
> Using the OS alarms has pluses and minuses...
> A minus of this 'globality' is that if I want to wake to music with
> a WIFI card connected, it'll try to make the same connection, even if
> I set
> an alarm to go off in the afternoon, when I have to Internet
> connection.
>
> If others can add/subtract to the list, I'm sure it'd be appreciated.
>
> AlarmToday
> http://www.pocketmax.net
>
> Atalarm (also snooze?)
> http://www.atechware.com/products.htm
>
> Coolclock
> http://www.applian.com/pocketpc/coolclock/index.php
>
> SuperAlert http://www.pocketfillers.com/
>
> Mobialarm
> http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=4256&a...
> id=459
>

> Terry Pinnell <terrypin@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> > danr_18@yahoo.com (Daniel Rosenzweig) wrote:
> >
> > >Thanks - it worked - BUT, once I softreset, my PocketPC no longer boots
up!
> > >Luckily, I use SpriteBackup to automatically back up my PPC... and
restored it.

> > >I emailed the alarmToday people to see if they have any ideas...
> > >
> > >Any other software which will wake to a program/music?
> >
> > I'd be very interested to know of any candidates too please, as my PPC
> > and alarmToday never did get on well.
Anonymous
April 25, 2004 12:55:44 AM

> >alarmToday has its own alarms, while SuperAlert applies its settings
> >to the system alarms.

A correction - alarmToday has setting to adjust the OS' alarms - PLUS
its own alarms.

BTW, I have tested an updated beta version of alarmToday and it now
works fine with my PocketPC - even after a soft reset. The next public
release should be in a few weeks.
Anonymous
April 25, 2004 5:04:34 PM

Terry,

Did you try the latest version of alarmToday and it gave you problems?

If so, you may want to contact pocketmax support -- he may be able to
fix whatever problem you're having, since he's working on the next
version now.
The email id is support at the company name dot com. (I don't want to
list the email address here - since many spammers and viri get their
email addresses here. Anyhow, just be willing to do hard resets (ie
lose all of your data)... Personally, I automatically back up my data
every night anyhow...

Let him know I sent you. I have no relation to this company - other
than
the author has fixed the incompatilibity I had with my PocketPC
(Audiovox Maestro) and he seems to be very responsive.

Thanks
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 12:00:21 AM

danr_18@yahoo.com (Daniel Rosenzweig) wrote:

>Terry,
>
>Did you try the latest version of alarmToday and it gave you problems?
>
>If so, you may want to contact pocketmax support -- he may be able to
>fix whatever problem you're having, since he's working on the next
>version now.
>The email id is support at the company name dot com. (I don't want to
>list the email address here - since many spammers and viri get their
>email addresses here. Anyhow, just be willing to do hard resets (ie
>lose all of your data)... Personally, I automatically back up my data
>every night anyhow...
>
>Let him know I sent you. I have no relation to this company - other
>than
>the author has fixed the incompatilibity I had with my PocketPC
>(Audiovox Maestro) and he seems to be very responsive.
>
>Thanks

Thanks, Daniel, Bruce did advise me a couple of days ago about the
imminent new release. I will try it, although I'm still a bit
apprehensive as it seems clear that the earlier one I tried was
directly responsible for the first hard crash I had. Unfortunately,
because of an obscure bug in Sprite Backup, I was unable to restore
any of my daily backups. So it was a traumatic time for me!

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.