Is there a way to get the PS2 and PC versions to display the framerate?

I was watching my son on his PS2 version this afternoon, and I thought the
framerate was a bit sh*tty compared to what I get from my 3GHz PC. I seem to
get 30-50 fps whereas I reckon his PS2 was showing ~15 fps.

G Hardy wrote:

> Is there a way to get the PS2 and PC versions to display the framerate?
>
> I was watching my son on his PS2 version this afternoon, and I thought the
> framerate was a bit sh*tty compared to what I get from my 3GHz PC. I seem to
> get 30-50 fps whereas I reckon his PS2 was showing ~15 fps.

dunno but there are times when the ps2 is positively dragging. worst
when there is a fog obviously
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

Andrew

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 00:40:28 GMT, "G Hardy"
<gareth.hardy1@ntlwrold.com> wrote:

>Is there a way to get the PS2 and PC versions to display the framerate?

For PC, fraps.com

"G Hardy" <gareth.hardy1@ntlwrold.com> wrote

> Is there a way to get the PS2 and PC versions to display the framerate?
>
> I was watching my son on his PS2 version this afternoon, and I thought the
> framerate was a bit sh*tty compared to what I get from my 3GHz PC. I seem
> get 30-50 fps whereas I reckon his PS2 was showing ~15 fps.

On PC Fraps, like Andrew said. Can somebody tell me why
they changed the Framerate on PC to 25 Frames with Frame-Limiter
on? GTAIII and Vice had 30FPS. All German Versions.
I really hate to turn off the Frame-Limiter.
Lots of Bugs and some kind of strange Gameplay.

Marco

In message <4313B2E6.FCE6EF01@blueyonder.co.uk>
Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> dunno but there are times when the ps2 is positively dragging. worst
> when there is a fog obviously

It's most noticeable when loading a very large piece of the game
"furniture" like the Gant bridge.

In the previews for SA it was revealed that Mt. Chiliad would be
...."the single largest object in the game", which I presumed the game
would load all at one and keep in memory as you traverse across it or
up it, but I've never had any slow down there.

Las Venturas can be a bit choppy at night, what with all the lights and
things, and occasionally the game drags when trying to load the
tall buildings whilst flying through Los Santos.

Cheers,
Rob

Rob White wrote:

> In message <4313B2E6.FCE6EF01@blueyonder.co.uk>
> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > dunno but there are times when the ps2 is positively dragging. worst
> > when there is a fog obviously
>
> It's most noticeable when loading a very large piece of the game
> "furniture" like the Gant bridge.
>
> In the previews for SA it was revealed that Mt. Chiliad would be
> ..."the single largest object in the game", which I presumed the game
> would load all at one and keep in memory as you traverse across it or
> up it, but I've never had any slow down there.
>
> Las Venturas can be a bit choppy at night, what with all the lights and
> things, and occasionally the game drags when trying to load the
> tall buildings whilst flying through Los Santos.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob
> --
> .__ __ |__ |__ .|__ __ | Rob White, Half Man Half Biscuit.
> | / \| \ | | || ||| /__\ | mflt35@dsl.pipex.com
> | \__/|__/ |_|_|| |||__\___ | Wimbledon, London, England.

I seem to have most problems in San Fiero, and sa you mentioned the
bridges do give trouble. I am starting to notice a hell of a lot of
invisible road surfaces or textureless surfaces again too
--

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> G Hardy wrote:
> >
> > Is there a way to get the PS2 and PC versions to display the framerate?
> >
> > I was watching my son on his PS2 version this afternoon, and I thought
the
> > framerate was a bit sh*tty compared to what I get from my 3GHz PC. I
seem to
> > get 30-50 fps whereas I reckon his PS2 was showing ~15 fps.
>
> dunno but there are times when the ps2 is positively dragging. worst
> when there is a fog obviously

Didn't seem to be foggy. He'd just bailed out of his hydra and was gunning
down everyone in sight in LS (including his homies). He had four stars when
he met his maker, but was at three when I noticed the framerate - he had all
the attention that level garners, plus his hydra and a couple of other
vehicles were on fire, but no fog.

G Hardy wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > G Hardy wrote:
> > >
> > > Is there a way to get the PS2 and PC versions to display the framerate?
> > >
> > > I was watching my son on his PS2 version this afternoon, and I thought
> the
> > > framerate was a bit sh*tty compared to what I get from my 3GHz PC. I
> seem to
> > > get 30-50 fps whereas I reckon his PS2 was showing ~15 fps.
> >
> > dunno but there are times when the ps2 is positively dragging. worst
> > when there is a fog obviously
>
> Didn't seem to be foggy. He'd just bailed out of his hydra and was gunning
> down everyone in sight in LS (including his homies). He had four stars when
> he met his maker, but was at three when I noticed the framerate - he had all
> the attention that level garners, plus his hydra and a couple of other
> vehicles were on fire, but no fog.

there can be problems during big gunfights and i think all of the GTA
3d games have come in for stick for what happens during police chases
and fights as you get higher. All that damned people appearing out of
thin air, police cars spawning on top of garages etc. I did note when
doing the oysters early in the game that when on four or five stars
and hitting water to retrieve an oyster which was in a pool on land it
would often be impossible to move for a while, you just have to sit
there absorbing lead.
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

NTSC vs. PAL frame rates?

Even an average DirectX 9 capable PC should breeze thru SA.

I get zero slowndown even in Las Venturas nights with my 9800XT.

T.

In message <4314699E.48FFD1A5@blueyonder.co.uk>
Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I seem to have most problems in San Fiero, and sa you mentioned the
> bridges do give trouble. I am starting to notice a hell of a lot of
> invisible road surfaces or textureless surfaces again too

Should have mentioned that - Driving a fast vehicle with nitrous fitted
turns all the surfaces "bald".

Try driving across the Gant bridge (The railway one, I think that's
what it's called). Hit a high speed and you'll notice: Not a lot of
slow down, but small structures and details disappear, like the stone
structure and railway tracks. Bizarrely, it still spawns the textures
for the petrol station, including the rotating sign, at quite a far
distance. Weird.

I guess we could just put this down to the ageing Renderware engine,
Rockstar really did squeeze every last drop of performance out of it
through tweeking.

Cheers,
Rob

Rob White wrote:

> In message <4314699E.48FFD1A5@blueyonder.co.uk>
> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I seem to have most problems in San Fiero, and sa you mentioned the
> > bridges do give trouble. I am starting to notice a hell of a lot of
> > invisible road surfaces or textureless surfaces again too
>
> Should have mentioned that - Driving a fast vehicle with nitrous fitted
> turns all the surfaces "bald".
>
> Try driving across the Gant bridge (The railway one, I think that's
> what it's called). Hit a high speed and you'll notice: Not a lot of
> slow down, but small structures and details disappear, like the stone
> structure and railway tracks. Bizarrely, it still spawns the textures
> for the petrol station, including the rotating sign, at quite a far
> distance. Weird.
>
> I guess we could just put this down to the ageing Renderware engine,
> Rockstar really did squeeze every last drop of performance out of it
> through tweeking.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob
> --
> .__ __ |__ |__ .|__ __ | Rob White, Half Man Half Biscuit.
> | / \| \ | | || ||| /__\ | mflt35@dsl.pipex.com
> | \__/|__/ |_|_|| |||__\___ | Wimbledon, London, England.

They certainly did, and i'm still flying into trees!
--

Rob White wrote:

> In message <43150B95.E49CD82B@blueyonder.co.uk>
> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > They certainly did, and i'm still flying into trees!
>
> The really big cliff just south of Dillimore always gets me. You would
> have though I could remember a 100+ feet of rock in the way!
>
> LV really isn't too bad; it spawns the buildings correctly but, like
> most surfaces whilst high in the air, it doesn't spawn the textures. I
> think it's basically because the game doesn't have to load the textures
> as you'll be whizzing past them in a second or two anyway.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob
> --
> .__ __ |__ |__ .|__ __ | Rob White, Half Man Half Biscuit.
> | / \| \ | | || ||| /__\ | mflt35@dsl.pipex.com
> | \__/|__/ |_|_|| |||__\___ | Wimbledon, London, England.

I usually do the beginning of photo opportunity in a copter. I have to
remember to allow for invisible trees all the way over but more so in
landing as it's impossible to tell where anything is until you're a
few feet from the ground. What I usually see is a big green plain with
Ceaser's car, then the trees and stuff just pop up
--

<tlai909@visto.com> wrote

> NTSC vs. PAL frame rates?

I thought that too, but all three Games I own
are German-Versions and I use a NoCD-Crack on all of them.
Only SA is running at 25FPS. (Its the same without the crack)

> Even an average DirectX 9 capable PC should breeze thru SA.
>
> I get zero slowndown even in Las Venturas nights with my 9800XT.

It depends on the settings I think. Aliasing and Filtering maxed out
will give u slowdowns. Smoke or Fog are good to get them too.

I get 40-60 Fps without Framelimiter, but i dont like playing without
it.

It is still running good with 25Fps. I was just wondering.

Marco

G Hardy wrote:

> Is there a way to get the PS2 and PC versions to display the framerate?
>
> I was watching my son on his PS2 version this afternoon, and I thought the
> framerate was a bit sh*tty compared to what I get from my 3GHz PC. I seem to
> get 30-50 fps whereas I reckon his PS2 was showing ~15 fps.

I just did the oysters in a few runs which of course had me getting
cut to bits as only the first island was open. All was okay mainly but
a few times things went to hell in a handbasket. being followed by
boats and choppers together seemed to cause problems but the worst
point was when I was going through that kind of narrow river at the
bottom of the second land mass. I have a pretty good method of dodging
the choppers, just weaving while I swim, so they tend to send boats
too and then they have three sources of gunfire with the cop on the
rear of the boat. In the narrow river the game suddenly dropped almost
to a crawl. I kept waiting for the it to crash as the frame rate was
so low for so long, and obviously with me being in slo-mo I wasn't
covering much ground and it was impossible to judge how long it took
to come out the other side, so to speak. As soon as it did let me move
again i rounded on the boat and tried to climb aboard but even when I
did it stopped suddenly as if it hit an invisible wall and the
choppers tore it to bits. This episode was the biggest slowdown I have
seen and come out the other side of.
--

Marco Jautz wrote:
> I really hate to turn off the Frame-Limiter.
> Lots of Bugs and some kind of strange Gameplay.

I've played virtually the whole way through the game with the frame limiter
off. The only problem I had was with the mission where you have to drive
with the guy tied to the front of the car. Otherwise all perfect and it
looks as absolutely smooth as silk, whereas with the frame limiter on it's
jerky and horrible... :-/

--

(O)enone

"Oenone" <oenone@nowhere.com> wrote

> I've played virtually the whole way through the game with the frame
> limiter off. The only problem I had was with the mission where you have to
> drive with the guy tied to the front of the car. Otherwise all perfect and
> it looks as absolutely smooth as silk, whereas with the frame limiter on
> it's jerky and horrible... :-/

My game doesn't play the User Tracks Radio when I turn
the frame limiter off. They fixed this in the Patch,
but i don't install this Patch until there is a NoCD-Version.

I still remember the big bugs in VC like "Stuntcam does not go away after
an unique-jump" or "Roads get invisible when driving fast".

It looks like they fixed this in SA, but i still don't like the
way of unrealistic movement turning off FL gives. Have a look
at the difference when turning around while Parachuting.

Marco